Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

LSX block + front drive distributor

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 06:19 PM
Launching!

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Default LSX block + front drive distributor

I'm using a front drive dizzy (gm cover) on an LSX block and per instructions need to drill 2 .025 holes in the cam retainer plate. However, the template ios for a stock LS block and not the LSX. Anyone done this? Worried the holes are not in the right sport since the oil passage on the LSX is not straight across but bowed. Wondering if anyoine tacked this before. I didn't yet try the template over the block to see if the holes line up with the oil passage since my block is still sealed up and I need to move it (and it's crappy weather here, fear it will rust if I remove the wrapping) Figured someone here must have done it.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
I'm using a front drive dizzy (gm cover) on an LSX block and per instructions need to drill 2 .025 holes in the cam retainer plate. However, the template ios for a stock LS block and not the LSX. Anyone done this? Worried the holes are not in the right sport since the oil passage on the LSX is not straight across but bowed. Wondering if anyoine tacked this before. I didn't yet try the template over the block to see if the holes line up with the oil passage since my block is still sealed up and I need to move it (and it's crappy weather here, fear it will rust if I remove the wrapping) Figured someone here must have done it.
I'll be doing the same thing.

Important part is to try to get the oiling hole inline with the oil passage in the block. You're just trying to get some oil mist into the timing cover to lubricate the distributor gear. It becomes more critical if you're running the mechanical fuel pump.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a slight pain, but not too bad. I believe it's a #72 drill bit. Tiny!! You can go a hair bigger, but if you go too big on the holes, you can run into losing oil pressure.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:02 PM
Launching!

I was going to aim for the center of the oil passage. Won't be running a mech. pump.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

any way to point the hole directly at the gear but use the same size bit?

or just above it would actually be better I would think? then it would hit the shaft or the gear itself and lubricate better, right? Would be direct oiling instead of what AT said by having a MIST in there.... I am totally new to all of this but I would think you could do it by just changing the angle of the hole drilled in the oiling passage..
Old 03-09-2013, 03:08 PM
Launching!

Imo a cam sprocket with holes would improve lubing...however I have been thinking about external feeding a nozzle and squirt oil directly on it, fed off a -3 line

Quick Reply: LSX block + front drive distributor