Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Dual Quads vs Single. Any gains to be had?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 12:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Dual Quads vs Single. Any gains to be had?

Ive really been looking at the Holley High Ram with the dual quad top for a 370 nitrous motor that I am putting together. I figured that since my swap vehicle had the room for it then why not go for it. But under further research I cant seem to find one person running it. My assumption would have been that through the tunnel ram design and ability to flow more air via the two carbs it would have been a no brainer on making power, but I keep reading articals stating that people are actually making more power with a single carb as opposed to the two. What gives? If someone could shed some light on this for me it would be much appreciated. My plan was to run the dual quads with a plate under each one on a forged high compression 370.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Holley makes a low rise, dual plane, LS carb intake that does surprisingly well when compared to the single carb variant. There is a car mag write up posted here somewhere.

If you look at the engine masters challenge from a year or two ago they all used high rise dual quad tunnel ram type set ups. I'm not intimate with all the details but that particular contest grades motors on power between two RPM bands, so area under the curve and not just peak HP. They also typically limit the intake options, that is why you need to find the one from a year or two ago where they allowed dual quad intakes.

That Holley high ram has some awfully short intake runners. Tells me it is going to need to spin to get the most out of it. IIRC the engine master intakes all had much longer runners.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this the article you were thinking of Pop n?

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...jr_intake.html

Looks like the dual quad showed improvment throughout the entire range up to 5k. Impressive for sure! Not sure how relevant it is to a forged 370 nitrous build but food for thought!

Quick Reply: Dual Quads vs Single. Any gains to be had?