Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

MSD 6010 timing with Carb'd LQ4

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD 6010 timing with Carb'd LQ4

Hi,
I'm not on the site much, but I've looked pretty extensively for solutions my problem but haven't found exactly what I needed. With that being said, If there is another thread with this topic I apologize; please redirect me to that tread instead.

Anyways, I have a '67 Bird with a LQ4 from an 05 Chevy 2500. Under the intake the motor is all stock. I currently have an Edelbrock Victor Jr. Intake with a Holley 750CFM Vac. secondary carb installed on it now. I have tuned the carburetor based on vacuum, with the help of an archaic narrow band AFR gauge, so I don't think this setup is related to my problem.

I'm working with the timing for a while now, and while it seems like I've got it mostly dialed in, I am simply wondering what others are running timing wise with this MSD box on a lower compression 6.0L. When I really step on it, it seems as though I either have a problem with detonation or the motor bogs longer than it should. 87 or 91 octane doesn't make a difference.

Thanks in advance for any insight!
Attached Thumbnails MSD 6010 timing with Carb'd LQ4-untitled.jpg   MSD 6010 timing with Carb'd LQ4-486514_416485871720774_1104199534_n.jpg  
Old 04-24-2013, 10:46 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you could add 2* of timing everywhere, and you could bring it in sooner too. also your map could carry aadded advance further- out to 7-8psia, or there abouts.
That said, have you messed with the accelerator pumps on your carb?, that is usually the first place to look when you have a bog upon hitting the throttle. my 6.0 when stock wanted 35 shooters, and an aggressive pump cam setting
Old 04-24-2013, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3pedals
I think you could add 2* of timing everywhere, and you could bring it in sooner too. also your map could carry aadded advance further- out to 7-8psia, or there abouts.
That said, have you messed with the accelerator pumps on your carb?, that is usually the first place to look when you have a bog upon hitting the throttle. my 6.0 when stock wanted 35 shooters, and an aggressive pump cam setting
I'll give the timing ideas a shot and see what happens. The roads are still wet/snowy here as breakup hasn't quite ended yet, so It'll be a few days until I pull it out of the garage.

As for the accelerator pump, I've tried different cams, but haven't messed with the squirters. If the timing doesn't change any thing, I'll keep on working with the carb.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 123 Likes on 110 Posts

At the top of the page is a lot of reading for you on the 6010 timing.

Looks like you're using the MAP (vacuum advance)...and from what all I read and was told (I did the same thing) The MSD reads psig not vacuum.

So look at this curve I started with....my motor pulls 11" of vac.

Quick Reply: MSD 6010 timing with Carb'd LQ4