Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Stainless collector bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 08:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Stainless collector bolts?

Anyone try using stainless hardware for the header collector bolts? Thought I would upgrade to some more durable hardware when I replaced the head gaskets, but when I went to re-torque the bolts the two I checked were seized. I bought them at Fastenal so assume they were good quality.

Wondering if I should replace them with the same but apply antiseize, or switch back to standard hardware.

Sanderson sells a set cheap enough

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/Sand...e-8-set-6.html
Old 04-28-2013, 08:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Typical "hardware store" quality stainless bolts are low-grade 304/316 alloy. Weaker than mild steel, and prone to seizing/galling if no lube used in a stainless/stainless combo (nut and bolt). Weaker than grade 5 steel bolts in fact. Even grade 5 bolt steel is heat treated; 316 SS cannot be hardened.
That said, they should be good enough for collector flanges, just use some anti-seize on the threads. And maybe a split lock washer to keep some tension on it.
ARP makes some stronger SS stuff but cost goes up.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Man, that was weird. The driver's side bolts were all seized and not clamping tight enough. They all broke as I tried to unbolt them. The passenger side were all just loose and unbolted with no drama.

Here's a tip. Used M8 head bolts are perfect for collector flanges. They have a flange head and a 10 mm vs. 13 mm nut for extra wrench room. I did cut them down a bit. It only took me 40 years of wrenching to finally learn to thread a nut on a bolt before cutting it shorter. Unscrewing the nut is the final touch to clean up the threads following the cut.

Learned another trick. Used sticky wax to hold the lock washer onto the nut when threading it on with a socket. The stainless washers were non-magnetic.

Quick Reply: Stainless collector bolts?