Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

My new 408 diesels a little when I shut it down.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 07:14 AM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, when the engine is at cruise rpm it will make more than 6.5" of vacuum, the moment you step on the gas to accelerate, vacuum will drop, and the 6.5 will open giving the enrichment needed. With the 3.5, and 2.5, you are likely to have a hesitation or even momentary bog when you step on the throttle from a cruise rpm. Your car is so light you may never load it hard enough to notice the lean spot, lol. But That's not the deiseling issue.
I have had best success curing deiseling by increasing idle timing , which has allowed me to close the throttle blades as much as possible at the idle setting.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3pedals
Yes, when the engine is at cruise rpm it will make more than 6.5" of vacuum, the moment you step on the gas to accelerate, vacuum will drop, and the 6.5 will open giving the enrichment needed. With the 3.5, and 2.5, you are likely to have a hesitation or even momentary bog when you step on the throttle from a cruise rpm. Your car is so light you may never load it hard enough to notice the lean spot, lol. But That's not the deiseling issue.
I have had best success curing deiseling by increasing idle timing , which has allowed me to close the throttle blades as much as possible at the idle setting.
Thanks for your input man! I had it backwards (reducing idle timing) which did make me have to turn the idle screw in further. When I turned the idle timing back up to 24* from 18* the problem definitely went away!
Old 08-31-2013, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3pedals
I'm not having a problem with dieseling.....and it's not an LSX motor, but I'm going to try this to see if it will help my 13.5:1 433" bbc from gas fouling plugs when it's cold. It doesn't do it once it's warm. Leaning the jets didn't help (although they hurt the et/mph) and leaning the idle mixture screws doesn't help because I could only lean them so much without it wanting to stall. (Idle is around 1250 rpm in gear.) Going from the 1150 dominator that the engine was dynoed with to a 4150 series 950HP helped some, but it still doesn't like to run good until it's over 120* or so. I even stuck a box stock 750 double pumper on it which ran great on the nearly stock 454 in my other car and it still seems pig rich until warm. Cam timing is 278/282 @ .050" I hadn't thought about raising the timing at idle.

Not trying to hijack....just thinking it may help me.....and may help someone with a similar issue. Thanks for the post.

Quick Reply: My new 408 diesels a little when I shut it down.