Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Not too impressed with my times.. Need a little advice (VIDEO)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 04:06 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I he is falling on his face after 5800 and mine doesn't, that doesn't seem like it is a good thing. I'm am not however, saying he will gain much if any at all. Just strange that I've never had one have any problem dancing on the rev limiter at 6 all day.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:47 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Beeterolds
I ran my 1983 Olds Cutlass at the strip last weekend and I have some tuning to do..

The best time I ran was a 14.1 @ 97mph... my best 60ft was a lousy 2.1... the rest was a string of mid 14s... I've seen guys stab stock 5.3s in heavy cars and run better times!! What am i doing wrong?!?

I'm running a 2001 5.3 with an early LS1 cam, RPM intake 750 Q-jet. F-body manifolds to 2.25 x-pipe and glass packs.. The engine is healthy, it has over 100k on it but it has good compression and oil pressure.

The rest of the drive train is all Buick Grand National.. with a BQ code Th2004r with the D5 converter 2500 stall and an 8.5 rear with 3.73s

The car weighs 3500lbs ish
I shift at 5800... watch the video... I had 0 traction issues but I coulda walked out of the hole faster... I'm wondering if its my timing curve.. I was running the #4 pill until we chucked it... Im running total timing of 34 degrees but its not all in until 3000rpm...
Overall your combo looks pretty good. It was very smart of you too swap in the LS1 cam. An LS6 would have been better.

Get your timing in sooner. I would ramp it up from 1000 to all in at 2000 RPM. To find the ideal timing you are going to have to do it with track testing. My preferred method is start at 26 degrees total and increase it 2 degrees at a time until the car runs the most MPH.

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Did you use a wideband when you tuned the Q jet? What AFR's is it running?
Answer this question! Get yourself a wideband and measure this. Shoot for something between 12.6-13.0 initially.

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Did you upgrade the valve springs when you went to the LS1 cam or did you keep the truck springs?
I have seen dyno tests where the stock springs start floating with the stock cam at about 5500. Definitely get yourself some springs. Get some PAC 1218 or 1518.

Also, ask some of the guys in the regular other Tech forums like internal engine what they are shifting their "bolt on" cars at the track. I think I remember them saying around 6200 RPM.

The converter is the stock D5 Grand National Converter... which stalls at 2500RPM... yes yes im sure they are 3.73s I had the cover off and I counted the teeth

Truthfully my goal was to run mid 13s... I felt it was a reasonable goal.. I am running the stock springs at the moment.. With LS6 springs on the bench to go in very soon...
That D5 converter is better than stock, but that is about all you can say for it. If you were to get a Circle 2b like I have, I think you would be stunned at the performance improvement.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:56 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by cruisin'73
BeeterOlds I am right there with you, just a little disappointed with my first round of 1/4 mile times. Maybe sharing data will help us both out

EDIT: Forgot car details

1973 Nova
3500LB including 260LB driver
Mild performance rebuild TH350
2200 stall convertor
Open 2.90:1 rear end
245 BF Goodrich Radial T/As

Engine:
-Junkyard '03 5.3 with 80K-COMPLETELY STOCK
-Good consistent compression in all holes
-Rebuilt Demon 750, still in tuning stages
-Edelbrock dual plane
-MSD 6010 18° initial, 34° all in at 4000
-Ebay SS 4th gen F-body headers, 2 ¾ primary, 3” collectors
-Dual 3” to Thrush mufflers dumped at axle
-Stock truck coils/wires
-New NGK TR55 plugs

Performance:
Elapsed Times: 15.1sec, 14.6sec, 14.3sec
60” times: 2.4 sec, 2.7sec, 2.25sec
Trap Speeds: 96.4 MPH, 94.6MPH, 94.06MPH (and 99.7MPH on an old fashion flag drop race)
Highway gears, tight stall, lazy timing curve, maybe too much total timing, stock truck cam.

You have elements of your combo fighting each other. The 5.3 is a smaller engine. It needs to get up in the RPMs to do its work. Your tight converter and highway gear does not allow it. However, I bet that car drives around nice and it great out on the open road. If you start going to a performance gears and higher stall, you are going to lose that.

If that were my combo, and I cared about drivability, I would leave it the way it is until I could get my hands on an overdrive transmission with a lock up torque converter. My choice would be a junkyard 4l80e with a controller like Zane has. Then you can put some 4.10 gears and a 3500 stall in there and really have some fun without losing your cruising ability.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The throttle is opening all they way, I've checked several times....

My headers just arrived... I got them at a very reasonable price so i'm not out much in the way of costs....

Summit Racing has LS6 springs for 65 bucks.... I can't go wrong with that and Im going to swap in some new valve seals while I have the turd apart...

I'm not gunning for miracles but I would be pleased with a 13.5 when its all said and done... I know if I wanna go any faster I'll need a cam, higher stall and steeper gears...

But I don't want to take away any driveability from my setup... It runs great on the street.

When I raced.. I had removed the air filter... the carb did NOT bog hesitate or anything as I've said before..
Old 10-03-2013, 09:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The throttle is opening all they way, I've checked several times....

My headers just arrived... I got them at a very reasonable price so i'm not out much in the way of costs....

Summit Racing has LS6 springs for 65 bucks.... I can't go wrong with that and Im going to swap in some new valve seals while I have the turd apart...

I'm not gunning for miracles but I would be pleased with a 13.5 when its all said and done... I know if I wanna go any faster I'll need a cam, higher stall and steeper gears...

But I don't want to take away any driveability from my setup... It runs great on the street.

When I raced.. I had removed the air filter... the carb did NOT bog hesitate or anything as I've said before..

Honestly my car runs faster with the air filter on. Even with the ram air set-up. However I have a K&N open top. It seems that the filter "supposedly" straightens out the charge instead of allowing the unmetered or disruptive unfiltered air to draw air and fuel out of the carb. Just what I've experienced.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Ive seen .05 to .10 difference on a few cars in the 1/4 by taking the breather off, SLOWER ! Stunning man speaks the truth. I hate to let the cat out of the bag, but for all the rookies out there, breathers and pump gas are a good thing . I cant count all the cars Ive seen drive their street cars to the track and pull the breather, pump a few gallons of race gas in their 10 to 1 engine, and pull all the crap out of their trunk to "save weight". They just disrupted the air into the carb, cooled the combustion process ( not a good thing) and took 100lbs of ballast out of the trunk. They kill their traction and about 20hp before they even have a chance to screw it all up with a bad launch, LOL! This is of course ,a general statement and in no way is pointed at the OP or anyone else on the thread. Just something Ive noticed over the years.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by newschool72
Ive seen .05 to .10 difference on a few cars in the 1/4 by taking the breather off, SLOWER ! Stunning man speaks the truth. I hate to let the cat out of the bag, but for all the rookies out there, breathers and pump gas are a good thing . I cant count all the cars Ive seen drive their street cars to the track and pull the breather, pump a few gallons of race gas in their 10 to 1 engine, and pull all the crap out of their trunk to "save weight". They just disrupted the air into the carb, cooled the combustion process ( not a good thing) and took 100lbs of ballast out of the trunk. They kill their traction and about 20hp before they even have a chance to screw it all up with a bad launch, LOL! This is of course ,a general statement and in no way is pointed at the OP or anyone else on the thread. Just something Ive noticed over the years.
I made a few runs with the filter in place and it didn't make a difference.. I ran 89 and had a 1/2 tank of gas lol...

The only reason why i pulled the filter is because its one of the Edelbrock foam triangles lol not exactly the best flowing
Old 10-04-2013, 11:08 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Ran with and without the small mr gasket 9 inch filter that everyone said had to be holding back, no change in ET, mph or AFR.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got a small edelbrock round filter on mine. I think it's choking it but I'm out of hood clearance to put a taller one in it.

Quick Reply: Not too impressed with my times.. Need a little advice (VIDEO)