Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

A/F ratio

Old 10-19-2013, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Its the basic TB set up. I am experimenting with 14.1 idle AFR and the timing is now at 18* from 500 to 1000rpms , so the Fast and MSD dont have to deal with idle quality from timing fluctuations. I had the idle quality function on in the MSD box, but noticed the two controllers were constantly fighting each other. The problem now is the Fast is still trying to fight the MSD, but the MSD isn't in the idle quality mode any more. I let the car idle for an extended period of time last night and the self learning ECU is starting to settle down again, as in not idling up and down in a 300rpm window. I could start the tune all over and eliminate the idle fluctuations, but I don't want to loose what the ECU has learned in the last 100 miles or so. That is the biggest issue with the self learning EFI stuff, it doesn't give instant tune change gratification ,like changing the jetting in carb. You make a change ,then drive it around for a while to let the system get accustomed to the changes. It would be fine if you just let the ECU do its thing and drive the dang car, but Im having a hard time getting away from tinkering with it.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I enabled the MSD idle control again. It is idling really good now. I guess I will just leave it enabled from here forward. Its funny that the engine showed better idle quality the richer the AFR was , when the MSD idle control was disabled. But now that it is enabled again, I can lean it out quite a bit and still get good idle quality. It needed 13.4 to idle decent with it disabled. Now its on 14.0, enabled, and has the best idle so far with this cam/intake setup. Im done with the idle side of the system, next time out at the track I may fiddle with the WOT AFR a little to see if it wants to be a little fatter than the 12.8 I have commanded right now.
Hopefully I will get to make it back to the track in the next couple weeks. Had just enough rain to scare me away from going today.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just went out and videoed the AFR on the fast controller, through 1st and 2nd gear. It held pretty good in the 12.2 to 12.8 range. Right before I kicked it, it read 15.9 as I was slowing to 5mph for the pull. I will post it up as soon as youtube finally loads it.
I have a question about one of the other readings on the display screen. The MAP was between 96 and 98 in first and settled on 97 through second gear. Is that an indicator of something in the inlet air, ie.. intake manifolds efficiency or something similar ?
Old 10-20-2013, 01:49 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

that 97 is less than barometric pressure, so it means the throttle body is a restriction.
the 15.9 when you kick the gas means you need "accelerator pump" enrichment if you had a carb
Old 10-20-2013, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

So would a 97kpa be considered a lot of restriction in a street engine setup? If 100kpa is 0 vacuum, is 3 less kpa significant? Looking at the vid ( youtube must be down because it has been trying to load for 2 hrs now), the 15.9 was before I kicked the gas. At that time, I was on the brakes and completely off the gas, slowing down pretty hard. I upped the accel fuel by 1 unit, and backed the timing curve down by 2*, just to be a little more on the safe side. I may go back out and try it again in a bit. As Ive matured over the years , Im a little more cautious about getting too far above the speed limit. I will get the nerve up later and go see what the changes did for me.
That 3kpa restriction is with a 1000cfm throttle body. Its crazy how much air these LS3 headed engines want!
Old 10-20-2013, 02:21 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

no I dont think 97 kpa observed is any big restriction at all. Its fine
Old 10-20-2013, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qP9N...ature=youtu.be

Here it is. The car broke completely loose from a 5mph roll. I got out and back in , but it still spun through 1st. Second caught hard and I let out at 80mph. The AFR is hard to see, but it looks like to held a good 12.2 to 12.9 through the top of second gear. That's my 7 yr old girl making the comment in the back ground. Sounds like she will be a gear head like dad, lol.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is hard to see in the glare on the vid, but the AFR did go up in the 13.s at the top of the second gear pull. I had the AFR set at 12.8. I fattened it up to 12.3 and just took it for a spin. On the vid the car wouldn't hit the 6900rpm limiter, it just got bound up and wouldn't rev higher. I just hit the limiter hard on this last run. Would the car nose over at upper RPM if it went a little lean? As far as I can tell on the vid, it didn't go dead lean ,just to about 13.5. I know it definitely felt stronger today, but I was about 200lbs lighter with out my 2 kids on board. So, anyone had the issue of leaning out up top and know how the engine reacts?

EDIT.....I also backed the timing off 2* across the curve. That can surely help the upper rpm revs, if the engine likes it. I am thinking about skipping the car show this weekend and going to the track instead. Weather is suppose to be hi 60s up in the day, first frost Saturday morning.

Last edited by newschool72; 10-22-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:29 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

My car will show a lean spike on gear changes too.

I love how you want to go to the track and test your ideas. We must be related somehow. LOL
Old 10-22-2013, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Could be related. My dad, or the guy who knocked my mom up would be a better description ( never met the guy ) moved to Clearwater in the mid 60s. No telling where he poked around, LOL.
Biggest difference in you and me is ,you actually go to the track. I don't go often because the 80 mile round trip to go and the possibility of breakage and the required tow bill if it does break, makes my wife hard to get along with when I want to go. I put my big boy pants on from time to time and go anyway, when I really need a speed fix. Problem this time is, the last trip cost 3 grand in parts replacements and we wont be taking a hit like that if it breaks again. It will become a garage ornament for the foreseeable future. Or at least till I get my back surgery and get back to making decent money again.
I just looked up the local track schedule and this Friday is the last Friday test and tune of the season. No test and tune on Saturday because of the local finals in SG, SC, SS, and JD. The Muscle Car Evolution event is the 19th of November. That's always fun and I usually take a car to that, but I hate to wait that long to go back. I might just go this Friday night, but it will get too cold to hook pretty quick after dark with 30s in the forecast over night. They don't usually do very much track prep for the street guys either. I will figure it out between now and Friday. I just need to get back and see how deep in the 11s this thing will go before I put the street tires back on .
Old 10-23-2013, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I noticed something interesting on the vid clip above . The display on the lower right is the incoming air temp. At the start of the 5-6 second pull, the intake air was 78*. It steadily increased through the pull to 100* at the end! I would have thought in a dynamic situation, the air rushing through the car would have kept the incoming air cooler. There is no telling what the temps look like at the end of the 1320 ! A cold air induction of some kind looks like it would make a very measurable HP difference through a full pass. I am going to put my Mcgyver hat on and do something about it. Scrape metal search is officially on !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A/F ratio