Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Harder Nitrous Launches Coming Soon.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 07:43 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Mine is all grown up and still hitting me for money. LOL
Old 12-15-2013, 11:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by newschool72
So by delaying the heat, you give your cooler more time to cool the fluid. Its used all the time in race environments with oil and trans pans. The more fluid you have , the more area you have to dissipate the heat. I have 2 cooler in series in front of my radiator with dual puller fans that will suck a piece of paper against the trans coolers. I also have a temp gauge that stays well below the danger zone all the time. One time it got to 180 and that was right after a run, then straight out in city traffic driving home. As soon as the car got a little wind going, it dropped back down .
Im just sharing some knowledge with Steven that I picked up after pouring over 6 months of research on the Turbo Buick forums and talking to the best guys in the 2004R building business , Lonnie at Extreme and Dave Husik of Turbo Buick.com, and I also bent Jakes ear on the little trans too. Im very happy with the trans Lonnie built for me, as is Steven(SpeedTigger) with his Extreme 2004R.
Within the 25 years that I owned my shop,all we worked on was Turbo Buicks.We installed every deep pan you can imagine.Some had fins,others had cooling tubes.Not once did we ever see any signicant drop in temp. because of a deep pan.

http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/...ranny_mods.htm

A deep pan will only delay the time it takes for the fluid to get hot--they will not change the transmission temperature equilibrium point. A transmission cooler will actually lower the equilibrium temperature.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 123 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by 396375
Within the 25 years that I owned my shop,all we worked on was Turbo Buicks.We installed every deep pan you can imagine.Some had fins,others had cooling tubes.Not once did we ever see any signicant drop in temp. because of a deep pan.
I've always recommended running the biggest trans cooler you could fit.
My cooler lines run right to the auxiliary cooler and never sees the radiator.

I just never heard of anyone over cooling a trans and causing damage.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:06 AM
Old School Heavy

They cancelled our private track rental this weekend due to of participation. I think it was too close to Christmas for a lot of guys. It has been rescheduled to Feb 15th.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Well that sux! Did the converter get to you yet?

Last edited by speedtigger; 12-20-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:11 AM
Old School Heavy

Well that sux! Did the converter get to you yet?
Yes, and I picked up some 75/25 and a spool of wire for my welder to finish the anti-roll bar install. It has been years since I welded anything with my welder. I forgot how much I enjoy welding.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:06 PM
Old School Heavy

Got the anti-roll bar welded in and the trans back in the car.

I was not having any fun trying to hoist that transmission into place laying on my back on the floor, so I came up with a novel little technique. I used two ratchet straps to get it up close. I hooked them to the frame on both sides and put the straps under the trans. I ratcheted the trans up into the tunnel about 3/4 of the way home and then used the jack to get it that last bit of the way. So much easier and safer than the old floor jack balancing routine.

I just have to do all the little stuff now. Shift cable, speedo cable. torque converter bolts yada yada. I am looking forward to the test drive. But, The wife wants my attention for the rest of today.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Got the anti-roll bar welded in and the trans back in the car.

I was not having any fun trying to hoist that transmission into place laying on my back on the floor, so I came up with a novel little technique. I used two ratchet straps to get it up close. I hooked them to the frame on both sides and put the straps under the trans. I ratcheted the trans up into the tunnel about 3/4 of the way home and then used the jack to get it that last bit of the way. So much easier and safer than the old floor jack balancing routine.

I just have to do all the little stuff now. Shift cable, speedo cable. torque converter bolts yada yada. I am looking forward to the test drive. But, The wife wants my attention for the rest of today.
That's great to hear

In my old mudding days, I had a 74 K5 Blazer on 38's and came up with that same idea for the trans
And with no lift, no jack tall enough, sitting crossed leg under the truck (34" ground to frame) That worked ...wrapped one around the roof and dropped the other through the shifter hole....lol
Old 12-22-2013, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I never thought of using ratchet straps. Pretty clever...The last time I put mine in, I built a simple box that the trans pan would fit in, then I screwed another 2x6 piece under it. I hole sawed a round hole in the 2x6 that my jack top will fit in. Picked the trans up, set it on the jack in the garage, then rolled it in place under the car. The box kept the trans from trying to slide around. All I had to do was balance the trans as I jacked it in place. It made the job much easier for someone with back issues. I miss the days when I would lay the trans on my chest , shimmy under the car, then lift it in place. I couldn't even wrestle the thing onto my chest anymore. Much less put the trans in place and start some bolts, LOL. Hard to believe someone as cocky as I use to be could turn into such a wimp at the young age of 48! Heck, Im 1 year and 2 weeks away from 50!!! Where do the years go? LOL
Old 12-22-2013, 03:51 PM
Old School Heavy

I never thought of using ratchet straps. Pretty clever...The last time I put mine in, I built a simple box that the trans pan would fit in, then I screwed another 2x6 piece under it. I hole sawed a round hole in the 2x6 that my jack top will fit in. Picked the trans up, set it on the jack in the garage, then rolled it in place under the car. The box kept the trans from trying to slide around. All I had to do was balance the trans as I jacked it in place. It made the job much easier for someone with back issues. I miss the days when I would lay the trans on my chest , shimmy under the car, then lift it in place. I couldn't even wrestle the thing onto my chest anymore. Much less put the trans in place and start some bolts, LOL. Hard to believe someone as cocky as I use to be could turn into such a wimp at the young age of 48! Heck, Im 1 year and 2 weeks away from 50!!! Where do the years go? LOL
I feel you man. When I had my 64, I bench pressed the TH400 onto the dowels. LOL. That ain't happening anymore.

I thought of the hole saw idea, but I did not think of boxing the edges. That was the missing piece of the puzzle! Great idea.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:39 PM
6D9
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking forward to the results! Love your car and overall combo.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:44 PM
Old School Heavy

I just drove the car. New Circle D 4C torque converter: WIN! New Stage 2 trans: WIN! New front springs: WIN! New anti-roll bar: WIN!

The stall convert flashes much higher, but still drives the same at light throttle. The shift extensions went from 1800 RPM to about 1000 RPM. It pulls much harder on the gear changes. It is especially noticeable on the 1-2 shift. Feels like it pulls even harder when it goes into 2nd. Wont be able to tell about the launch until I get on the track.

The new trans is very pleasing. The 1-2 shift is all business now where it used to delay and slip. Now it is instant and FIRM. And, the lock up finally works right. Very pleased with the Stage 2.

The front springs are perfect. The ride height is exactly perfect. And, the front end really moves easily now.

The anti-roll bar made the car drive soooo much better. Even with the front sway bar off, the car feels much more stable and a lot less body roll.

It was an extremely enjoyable test-drive. It is like Christmas! Oh wait.......

Last edited by speedtigger; 12-24-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's great man! I'm glad to hear you're so pleased with all of your upgrades. Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mind posting pics of the anti roll bar in place?!

Last edited by speedtigger; 12-24-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:43 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by dogsballs
mind posting pics of the anti roll bar in place?!
Won't be much of a picture. The car is back on the ground. All you will see is the bar under the rear end.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

Great to hear
Waiting on track results.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AINT SKEERED
Great to hear
Waiting on track results.
x2 !
Old 12-25-2013, 11:53 AM
10 Second Club

Great to hear

So, what you think she'll do now ? NA 10.9's ????
Old 12-25-2013, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats awesome. Nothing better than spending the money and doing all the hard work and the test ride is perfect. What track are you going to on the 15th ? I will be all around Florida in January and Febuary hitting all the MX tracks with my son and would like to see a little street car track action while im down there.

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I just drove the car. New Circle D 4C torque converter: WIN! New Stage 2 trans: WIN! New front springs: WIN! New anti-roll bar: WIN!

The stall convert flashes much higher, but still drives the same at light throttle. The shift extensions went from 1800 RPM to about 1000 RPM. It pulls much harder on the gear changes. It is especially noticeable on the 1-2 shift. Feels like it pulls even harder when it goes into 2nd. Wont be able to tell about the launch until I get on the track.

The new trans is very pleasing. The 1-2 shift is all business now where it used to delay and slip. Now it is instant and FIRM. And, the lock up finally works right. Very pleased with the Stage 2.

The front springs are perfect. The ride height is exactly perfect. And, the front end really moves easily now.

The anti-roll bar made the car drive soooo much better. Even with the front sway bar off, the car feels much more stable and a lot less body roll.

It was an extremely enjoyable test-drive. It is like Christmas! Oh wait.......
Old 12-27-2013, 09:56 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Doug G
Great to hear

So, what you think she'll do now ? NA 10.9's ????
That 11.27 was in negative D/A with a tailwind. Maybe in similar conditions I could get some 11.0x times. I am more after the 9 second pass on Nitrous. I have never been 9 seconds. Bucket list item. lol.

Ordered the Viking Performance double adjustable front shocks today. I guess it is time to do a little more than my Discount Auto Parts replacement shocks.

Last edited by speedtigger; 12-27-2013 at 10:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Harder Nitrous Launches Coming Soon.