Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

what cnc ported l92 heads to get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 08:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well speedtigger don't you also think u will need to port intake too ?

fast89stang wished I had a turbo in my ride to just see what diff between motors would be... mine and yours is almost same rides.. just diff trans and gears,,, and the heads

I know mine and benji has the same motors but diff heads, same trans and gear he leaves at 3800 wide open trans break,,, I leave at 2300 and im about 2 tenths faster than him but hes 200 pds heavier too...

also tho his running 100 shot of nos his has been 5.97 I think and mine been 5.91 on 100 shot nos,, maybe that might be diff in a better flowing head

Last edited by windmill; 12-10-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Ive seen a couple comparisons with small cube engines, then stroking the same engine with unported ,then ported heads. Car Craft did a 6.0 with stock LS3 heads with a couple different cams, then the same engine with ported factory castings. The engine lost 8-10HP across the board. Then they stroked the engine to 408 and compared the ported and unported heads. The ported heads came to life on the bigger engine. There comes a point where its too much flow for the cubes and you loose performance. The exhaust is restrictive compared to the intake on the LS3 heads. Its my opinion, just based on results Ive seen, that the LS3 heads are bordering on too big for a smaller cube engine. So much so ,that cam grinders have to trick the heads to perform really good on smaller cube engines with lots of overlap . I think there are gains to be made by freeing the exhaust up, but Im not convinced a 370ish engine will gain much with bigger intake ports, and might just get lazy by opening them up. Some of the aftermarket heads with much better mid lift #s AND smaller ports might just shine on the smaller cube stuff, but then you have gotten away from the great power for the dollar of the rectangular port heads. Just Im opinion after watching trends with the LS3 heads.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by windmill
well speedtigger don't you also think u will need to port intake too ?
I am not sure why you are asking this question. That is precisely what I am suggesting in my last post.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

I thought u was saying the intake side of heads,,,,, my bad,,,,,,,, guess I wasn't reading it right.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:16 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by windmill
I thought u was saying the intake side of heads,,,,, my bad,,,,,,,, guess I wasn't reading it right.
Maybe it was me that did not understand what you were saying. You are referring to the intake manifold? If so, I ported my cathedral port Victor Jr. and was able to get about another 5-7 hp out of it.

Last edited by speedtigger; 12-11-2013 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so, I am asking opinions here. my combo, LY6 6.0, running 6.34 already at 107mph, with heads milled .020. Should I install .010 thinner head gasket? And anotehr question, would you do a mild cleanup on the intake side, like taper valve guides, and clean exhaust side up and taper valve guides, or just leave it alone? I am looking for opinions here to see what the popular vote is. Since I will have the heads off, I figured I would add the thinner gasket for a slight bump in comp.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I vote for just smoothing the air flow on the exhaust side. You are already dealing with port volumes of a big block on the intake side. Unless you are going to spin that engine to 8k+ I don't see any benefit to making the intake side larger on a 364 cid engine. If you had more cubes, I would do the intake too. As far as what direction to go with the port work on the exhaust, I would do a lot of research on what the rec heads need on the exit side. I will be doing a lot , if I do mine down the road. You can hurt as much as help if you don't get it right.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Old School Heavy

I have seen a few people on here claim that there was a very nice gain with a good high performance valve job. So, you may look into that. As for that gasket, any increase in compression will probably be a plus, but I can't speak to the dependability of those thinner gaskets. Hopefully someone with experience with them will chime in.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:02 AM
TECH Regular

if it was mine I would pull front cover off and check and see how much cam ptv clearance you have, then see if you can get more compression out of it with either cutting the head some more or changing head gaskets.

on porting the heads some, yes on the tapering the valve guides.
im with tigger too,, port match your intake to the heads will make a big diff too. but if you go to the super vic the ports I bet will be somewhat bigger than the heads so matchin them up u will need to do.. and the gear change will help on the intake change in rpms,, but I will think u will need to leave more in rpm to make some diff up from the change,,,to me this is kinda having a turbo car,, if you have a 3inch crossover it takes longer to spool up,,, but u change to 2-1/2 it will spool quicker,, to me its like having to much intake could kill the power some,,,, something to think about.

tigger im running the 40 thou gaskets,, so far so good on 150 shot nos on reg 93
gas.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

I would "think" I have plenty of clearance left, going from memory, I had .095 on my intakes, and if i take away .010 more that should leave me .085. Should be fine, but i would still check it to be sure. I understand what you are saying about the port being so big windmill, thats exactly why I was asking. I am just gathering ideas to try and get some "free" et out of this thing. Hoping to lose 100 lbs off the car and me over winter, I hope to lose at least 20, so i gotta get 80 out of the car. Love to see a teen, or maybe a 0? out of this thing come spring.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by newschool72
I vote for just smoothing the air flow on the exhaust side. You are already dealing with port volumes of a big block on the intake side. Unless you are going to spin that engine to 8k+ I don't see any benefit to making the intake side larger on a 364 cid engine. If you had more cubes, I would do the intake too. As far as what direction to go with the port work on the exhaust, I would do a lot of research on what the rec heads need on the exit side. I will be doing a lot , if I do mine down the road. You can hurt as much as help if you don't get it right.
I dont feel confident turning it that high. i would like to keep it close to the max of 7k, I know people have done more, but my luck isnt the best. I do plan on rod bolts over the winter too, just some added insurance.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fast89stang
When i ran it thru the 1/4 mile the carb was way off. The 1/8 time then was 6.59 and 1/4 was 10.37@129. I feel it will go 9s now easily. The pass I went 6.34 i lost 3 mph, so it should have easily been a 6.31 and i still broke out. The car weighs in at 2965, 4.10 gears, turbo 350 with 5500 8 inch converter. Vic jr with 950 ultra hp(still working on carb). Stock 07 LY6 shortblock with L92s milled .020 and pistons notched for my FTI custom ground cam. I am swapping to some 4.30s for spring and considering porting my exhaust side and hoping to run 6 teens in the 1/8 I know for a fact it should get close to teens with just gear. But I feel like the heads are performing pretty well on a small bore motor. If cathedrals would perform better, hell I need to swap I guess. I was thinking about going .010 thinner on head gasket to bump compression a tad more, but have heard mixed reviews on that. The plan was :porting the ehxhaust side some, taper down the valve guides on both intake and exh, clean the ports out some, not much at all on intake. Possible bump in compression, 4.30 gear, looking into the super vic. Just not sure on that yet. I am planning on pulling stock seats and installing racing seats from what I seen, it should lose 68 lbs there, so I feel like teens isnt much to ask, even without intake and thinner head gaskets.
You are optimizing what you have and that's a good thing but you are at you limits on what you have. The little things you plan on doing will help though.

There are guys that have less gear and smaller stall running what you are running with a stock LS3 cammed in a fox body. Cathedral heads would perform about the same as what you are running now. twinturbo2 on here is one of them. 6.0 vs 6.2 bore, they are going to be what and what out of the hole, but the 6.2 bore is going to shine as the airflow increases. The other advantage is down the road you can upgrade your heads with a 6.2 motor. twinturbo2 put small bore LS7 heads on his and went 9.63@137

No matter what you are running damn good with what you have. Its nice to see some good running LS swapped fox bodies.

Just an FYI there is no Super Vic for the L92 heads. There is only a Super Vic for the cathedral heads.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:11 PM
TECH Regular

silver bullet,,, post some guy's name's like to read what they ran, and their combo,,,, ,they do have the super vic coming out now,,, me and stang could run faster if we just leave off trans brake,,, that's what I bet a lot of them is doing....
Old 12-11-2013, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
You are optimizing what you have and that's a good thing but you are at you limits on what you have. The little things you plan on doing will help though.

There are guys that have less gear and smaller stall running what you are running with a stock LS3 cammed in a fox body. Cathedral heads would perform about the same as what you are running now. twinturbo2 on here is one of them. 6.0 vs 6.2 bore, they are going to be what and what out of the hole, but the 6.2 bore is going to shine as the airflow increases. The other advantage is down the road you can upgrade your heads with a 6.2 motor. twinturbo2 put small bore LS7 heads on his and went 9.63@137

No matter what you are running damn good with what you have. Its nice to see some good running LS swapped fox bodies.

Just an FYI there is no Super Vic for the L92 heads. There is only a Super Vic for the cathedral heads.
Eddy just announced their new big vic for the rectangular port heads. Some of the guys on this forum have already ordered theirs. I don't think they are shipping yet, but that's the intake fast 89 stang is talking about.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fast89stang
I would "think" I have plenty of clearance left, going from memory, I had .095 on my intakes, and if i take away .010 more that should leave me .085. Should be fine, but i would still check it to be sure. I understand what you are saying about the port being so big windmill, thats exactly why I was asking. I am just gathering ideas to try and get some "free" et out of this thing. Hoping to lose 100 lbs off the car and me over winter, I hope to lose at least 20, so i gotta get 80 out of the car. Love to see a teen, or maybe a 0? out of this thing come spring.
Now THATS a man with a mission !! Going on a diet to go faster is true dedication, LOL.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:27 PM
TECH Regular

I went back and done some searching twinturbo2 when he was just cam went 6.5's with the 6.2 also seen where now he's leaving at 4200 on brake,,, that makes a diff,,,, I still think me and stang is still doing good for what we got and some others.... im looking not to see what heads he stepped up to... to run what he does now...
Old 12-11-2013, 01:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Y'all have any links on this Super Vic for L92 heads. I looked on Edelbrock site and googled it and got nothing.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

3pedals has a link on this forum. Its pretty close to the top on here. The intake name is in the title.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, twinturbo is kind of my buddy. we text alot and he is the one who finally turned me to the darkside. i have seen his car run a few times. He hurt a piston a while back. When he had the 6.0 and L92s he went 6.37 in worse air than me, and his is a little heavier than mine. He put the 6.2 in with small more LS7 heads on it and never really got it to hook good on juice after that. He will be back tho, with a vengance.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet

Thanks man, a 6.2 is in the works. I work at a dealer, and the next one that comes in, will be going home to sit between my fenders.

Quick Reply: what cnc ported l92 heads to get?