Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Strip run coming soon...Guesses? Vids inside !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 09:14 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

If you two keep this up, you will both be running 9s by morning.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 131 Likes on 118 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by speedtigger
If you two keep this up, you will both be running 9s by morning.
We just trying to keep up with those 65 Buicks and not get too embarrassed like those Cudas

LOL

Maybe throw a little giggle gas too

Last edited by Doug G; 02-08-2014 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:29 AM
Old School Heavy

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Doug G
We just trying to keep up with those 65 Buicks and not get too embarrassed like those Cudas

LOL

Maybe throw a little giggle gas too

LOL. If that guy ever saw it, he would probably not be too happy about that pic and animated gif being all over the internet. The guy who runs the starting line at the track said there was money down on him for that match up. I knew nothing about it.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:45 AM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

I'm sure he's seen it by now and sits in his mom's basement sticking to video games now....LMAO
Old 02-08-2014, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

LOL. If that guy ever saw it, he would probably not be too happy about that pic and animated gif being all over the internet. The guy who runs the starting line at the track said there was money down on him for that match up. I knew nothing about it.
That Buick/Mopar rivalry just wont end, will it? LOL. I think Im going to play with my working angles a little before I head back to the track. Right now they are around 2.5-3* front and back. The problem is, my pinion angles up and the output on the trans is angles down. No way around that with the angle the engine needs to sit in the chassis to clear the oilpan to tie rod clearance and the location of the header collectors. Im going to take a couple degrees out of the pinion angle, so the working angles will be a bit better at WOT. I am sure the rear rotates up considerably when the loud pedal is flat, so dropping it should help, as long as the cruising mode doesn't have any vibration. Ive read that the pinion angle is pretty critical to hooking too. I guess that if the rear over rotates, it can actually create swat and tire lift out back with a leaf spring suspension. I had a set of SSM lift bars on it the last time out, but they screw with the cornering, so I removed them. I am trying a trick I found where you use a set of helper springs to combat wheel hop by bolting them to the front half of the spring, from the bottom. The SSMs cause the rear springs to bind, so removing them should help separation, or at least that's what Im hoping. Im going to change the pinion angle tonight and find a clear stretch of road to do some testing tomorrow. If the wheels hop on me, I guess I will be slapping the SSMs back on. Hopefully it will work out like Im thinking and plant the tires a little better from having more free movement without bind. The rear sway bar should keep the rear level so both sides plant and go.
I will post up after the testing tomorrow.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:03 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

Backroad testing always fun
Old 02-08-2014, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Backroad testing always fun
EmmmHmmm, that's right! I adjusted the rear from 2.8 to 1* ,pointing up, and the trans end moved from 3.2 to 2.4, pointing down. Now when I kick it, the back wont rotate too far out of wack, I hope. It should still drive vibration free, but I wont know for sure till tomorrow. Stay tuned for latest updates! LOL
Old 02-09-2014, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hehehehehaaahaaa...Ha.... What a difference! This thing has been transformed into a scary ride. It wants to hook now, from a roll on cold tires/cold blacktop. The car gets the front end to full extension and it just starts to eat up the road. I will have to relearn to drive this thing, because everything feels much looser now, but it feels much faster than before. With the road racing front shocks and springs, the car would stay flat, and the tires would just go away. Now the car launches forward and is gone, with just a little tire slippage .All that is with the sway bar links off. With the sway bar connected, it was very flat through the twisties, feeling almost exactly like the road race stuff did, just enough softer to not jar your teeth out when I run over a piece of pea gravel. I laid into the gas a little, with the bar connected and the front comes up some, but still feels solid. With the bar disconnected, I found myself pulling on the steering wheel to see over the hood! LOL
The Bilsteins and Moroso trick springs, along with the big Hotchkis sway bar have turned this thing into a true dual purpose street car. I don't think it will work as well as a purpose built drag car OR auto cross car, but will do both good enough for my recreational use.
The softer feel is also much easier on my back.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:43 PM
Old School Heavy

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by newschool72
Hehehehehaaahaaa...Ha.... What a difference! This thing has been transformed into a scary ride. It wants to hook now, from a roll on cold tires/cold blacktop.
You going to the track next weekend?
Old 02-09-2014, 05:19 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

NS....think I'm close now ....................lol

Flippin' snowing here again....got about an inch and it's still falling.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

You going to the track next weekend?
Either next Saturday or the one after. That's all the time I will have before Im down for a while. Its amazing how much faster a car feels when it jumps up and goes, LOL. It feels a second quicker! Its NOT, but it sure feels that way.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:24 PM
Old School Heavy

LS1Tech 10 Year

Cars with a lot of action always feel fast. I used to drive for Anclote Auto Parts Racing in the late 80s. It was a 65 Coronet 500 with a 440 and 2-4s. The car was too fast to have slapper bars, but that is how he had it set up. That combined with loose shocks made the car jump up in the air on the launch and gear changes. It was crazy fun to drive.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:12 PM
6D9
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hehehehehaaahaaa...Ha.... What a difference! This thing has been transformed into a scary ride. It wants to hook now, from a roll on cold tires/cold blacktop. The car gets the front end to full extension and it just starts to eat up the road. I will have to relearn to drive this thing, because everything feels much looser now, but it feels much faster than before. With the road racing front shocks and springs, the car would stay flat, and the tires would just go away. Now the car launches forward and is gone, with just a little tire slippage .All that is with the sway bar links off. With the sway bar connected, it was very flat through the twisties, feeling almost exactly like the road race stuff did, just enough softer to not jar your teeth out when I run over a piece of pea gravel. I laid into the gas a little, with the bar connected and the front comes up some, but still feels solid. With the bar disconnected, I found myself pulling on the steering wheel to see over the hood! LOL
The Bilsteins and Moroso trick springs, along with the big Hotchkis sway bar have turned this thing into a true dual purpose street car. I don't think it will work as well as a purpose built drag car OR auto cross car, but will do both good enough for my recreational use.
The softer feel is also much easier on my back.
Good info! Hope it gives you the results your after. Im going to try my coilovers first and see if it hooks or not. If it won't then I will put the Trick springs I have in.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 6D9
Good info! Hope it gives you the results your after. Im going to try my coilovers first and see if it hooks or not. If it won't then I will put the Trick springs I have in.
Like tigger said, It a friggin blast to drive now. With the other suspension, I would have never pushed the car hard enough to make it fun. Now its a pedal slam away, LOL.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its not looking good for this weekend right now. We had a perfect snow of about 3" week before last, now we are looking down the barrel of our normal winter nemesis , FREEZING RAIN! We are expecting up to an 1" of the stuff. For those that don't know what it is, its liquid rain that freezes on impact with anything it touches. Anything over a 1/4" will bring trees, limbs and power lines down! 1/2" makes the area look like a tornado came through! We are looking at 12 hours of constant freezing rain, starting after mid-night tonight, then a break for a couple hours, then 6 more hours, then changing to snow for 3 or so hours before it clears out. Our power will most likely go out before day light tomorrow and depending on how much we get, could be out for a week or more. I like snow MUCH better, LOL. Keep us in your thoughts,
Old 02-11-2014, 09:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ima say 11.30s maybe a hero pass in the 20s. Hopefully I'm wrong and you go faster but if your is like mine. You make changes and feels better but it didn't do ****. All in my mind lol. All the suspension talk, you could jus do the bandaid fix for now and throw some new Hoosier slicks on it...I garuntees traction hehe.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by toxic99
Ima say 11.30s maybe a hero pass in the 20s. Hopefully I'm wrong and you go faster but if your is like mine. You make changes and feels better but it didn't do ****. All in my mind lol. All the suspension talk, you could jus do the bandaid fix for now and throw some new Hoosier slicks on it...I garuntees traction hehe.
The big thing is traction. The car has a low1.6 in it. makes gobs of TQ way down low, so I know the 60s are there, IF I can hook it. If the rule of thumb is close, 1.876 to 1.60 is .276, x2 is .552. 11.65-.552 =11.13. Ive also dropped right at 100lbs off the car. Rule of thumb is a .10. That's 11.03. On a car with a full front of acc.(PS, WP, ALT, AC) a 25% UDP is worth about a .10...11.03-.10=10.93. That is perfect world math, but I expect an 11.2x, but Im hoping for perfect world math, LOL !
Old 02-12-2014, 07:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The big thing is traction. The car has a low1.6 in it. makes gobs of TQ way down low, so I know the 60s are there, IF I can hook it. If the rule of thumb is close, 1.876 to 1.60 is .276, x2 is .552. 11.65-.552 =11.13. Ive also dropped right at 100lbs off the car. Rule of thumb is a .10. That's 11.03. On a car with a full front of acc.(PS, WP, ALT, AC) a 25% UDP is worth about a .10...11.03-.10=10.93. That is perfect world math, but I expect an 11.2x, but Im hoping for perfect world math, LOL !
That's more like bench racer math at its finest lol. But we all do it I guess. Fwiw, recently put ud pulley on my 99ss and it made zero diff. Disappointing to say the least. Wanted to get a 11.40 out of her before I pulled the drivetrain...
Old 02-12-2014, 04:13 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

NS....Hate to hear about that freezing rain (nice hard candy coating ) but that is heading straight up 95 towards us Freezing rain, and/or snow saying 6-12" possible)
Old 02-12-2014, 04:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NS....Hate to hear about that freezing rain (nice hard candy coating ) but that is heading straight up 95 towards us Freezing rain, and/or snow saying 6-12" possible)
Yikes not fun freezing rain is nasty and snow to boot We are getting lucky here not the snow yet but was -22f here this morning...so punishing us differently here right now. Thankfully they are calling for highs close to freezing in a few days.

This bench racing is fun I just with someone would hurry to the track and get a time so all this speculation can end

Bruce

Quick Reply: Strip run coming soon...Guesses? Vids inside !!