Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

fast idle speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 05:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fast idle speed

I just put a new 750cfm holley on my caprice. I have the curve 1 pill in my msd box. The problem I'm having is that no matter how I adjust the carb the fast idle never drops. Can I adjust the idle with a laptop thru the msd. I haven't checked for a vacuum leak, but it doesn't stumble during acceleration and the idle while it's in gear is fine. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:15 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

What intake? The performer rpm has a hole where the MSD can mount, you have to plug it.

Otherwise, the box can be tuned with a lap top, which makes all the difference in the world.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Performer RPM. I do have the hole your talking about plugged. I have the passenger side valve cover running to the carb and the PCV tee'd into my brake booster and going to the back of the carb. The 2 smaller vacuum ports on the carb are plugged as well as the port on the intake below the carb.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:12 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

The valve cover to the carb will just pull air. Run only the brakes and see how it does.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:14 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Don't "T" your brakes with the PCV. That is no bueno for safety. Run your break booster line separate.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:21 PM
Teching In

if electric choke check voltage & wiring for it. or adjust out the choke so plate is open all the way(vertical) and check fast idle screw too might just need adjusting so it'll kickdown.
#1 curve pill has 20* @1000rpm... I'm stick and run 10* @ idle. I hope you have a programmable box one from msd, not the one that comes with the edelbrock kit. And check your map graph set it to 0
Old 07-13-2014, 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Don't "T" your brakes with the PCV. That is no bueno for safety. Run your break booster line separate.
Originally Posted by chickenbalLS
if electric choke check voltage & wiring for it. or adjust out the choke so plate is open all the way(vertical) and check fast idle screw too might just need adjusting so it'll kickdown.
#1 curve pill has 20* @1000rpm... I'm stick and run 10* @ idle. I hope you have a programmable box one from msd, not the one that comes with the edelbrock kit. And check your map graph set it to 0
The brake booster does have its own vacuum line and I do have msd -6010. This would be my 1st time tuning a vehicle with a laptop. I have curve pill #1 in it. Mine is running at 28° @ 1500rpm and the timing @ what would be idle is @ 15°. What does the idle control disable do?
Old 07-14-2014, 07:40 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Is your carb a vacuum secondary or a mechanical secondary. If it is a mech secondary some carbs has a idle adjustment on the secondary also that has to be adjusted. I have scratched my head many time over the simple things.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by homemade87
Is your carb a vacuum secondary or a mechanical secondary. If it is a mech secondary some carbs has a idle adjustment on the secondary also that has to be adjusted. I have scratched my head many time over the simple things.
It a vacuum secondary. I know the feeling and on top of that my time in the garage has been limited lately. I have the secondaries plugged off. Should I run a line to the port under the carb?
Old 07-14-2014, 04:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have saw people pull the choke flap and leave the linkages on the PS. If any of that stuff opens or moves from full open it will make your throttle not return all the way to idle position.

Quick Reply: fast idle speed