The Single Plane/Carbureted LS Engine Camshaft Thread - Page 5 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

The Single Plane/Carbureted LS Engine Camshaft Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 07:56 PM   #81
Teching In

Ok I thought so but just wanted to be sure, I've been searching and seen you have recommended that cam to a few people with similar setups.
JrTheJunkMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:54 AM   #82

Default Currious about valve events of this cam

First off, thanks and respect to speedtigger for compiling all of this info in one place.

I'm putting together a 6.0 for a swap into an ECSB 90 model GMC 1500. The known data of the combo is as follows:

Weight: Close to 5k with all the junk I carry around and Me in it.
Minus My big self and the tools, it should be @ 4450 after the swap..

Drivetrain: 4l80e currently has 3k stall, 3.73 gears 28" tall tires

Primary use: Daily beater! I'm fully prepared to replace valvesprings anually or Bi-annually..

Now for the motor:
I picked up an all aluminum 6.0 from a friend at a dealer, He had no clue of what it is, and after much research I "believe" it is an l76 from a '08+ "Vortec Max" truck.

It is a 6.0 that has dished pistons that have valvereliefs( It HAD vvt and dod, I've deleted both), and 823 heads.

I've aquired for it the following:

Vic jr.

Tsp cam and all supporting hardware, Cam is in the mail, so I don'tnhave a full card yet but here is what I've got so far. 231/246 .640"/.615" custom ground on a 108 lsa straight up with no advance ground in.

Planning to mill the heads .010"
Already have Cometic .040" gaskets
Pistons are out of the hole .005" quench should be .035"
Planning to run Fitech or Holley Sniper TBI undecided so far on which..

Don't have headers yet, I'm thinking 1.75 would be good or 1 7/8"?

Could one of You kind gentlemen please run this combo through Cam Motions calculators for Cam timing and Compression? I attempted to use them but I don't own a PC and rhey wouldn't jive with My Android device.

Also any ideas on what I did Right, or wrong or could do better I all ears for. This is not a race car, just a fun appliance to beat on and do burnouts..

Thanks!
TurboDog73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:31 AM   #83

Forgot to say cam is being ground on a 108 ICL.

Also, I know I've got to change My converter, as the one in there is for a Gen 1 sbc. I'm guestimating I'll need something between 36-3800? All ears on suggestions.

Also I'm sure more gear would help get this heavy beast moving but how much? I'm sure 4.56's would be the best acceleration, but will likely be miswrable on long drives as well as a really high driveshaft speed at normal highway speeds. Maybe 4.30's or would 4.10's be enough?

Thanks again guys even if Y'all tell Me the whole deal is terrible!
Old 02-15-2017, 09:46 AM   #84
LS1Tech Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDog73 View Post
First off, thanks and respect to speedtigger for compiling all of this info in one place.

I'm putting together a 6.0 for a swap into an ECSB 90 model GMC 1500. The known data of the combo is as follows:

Weight: Close to 5k with all the junk I carry around and Me in it.
Minus My big self and the tools, it should be @ 4450 after the swap..

Drivetrain: 4l80e currently has 3k stall, 3.73 gears 28" tall tires

Primary use: Daily beater! I'm fully prepared to replace valvesprings anually or Bi-annually..

Now for the motor:
I picked up an all aluminum 6.0 from a friend at a dealer, He had no clue of what it is, and after much research I "believe" it is an l76 from a '08+ "Vortec Max" truck.

It is a 6.0 that has dished pistons that have valvereliefs( It HAD vvt and dod, I've deleted both), and 823 heads.

I've aquired for it the following:

Vic jr.

Tsp cam and all supporting hardware, Cam is in the mail, so I don'tnhave a full card yet but here is what I've got so far. 231/246 .640"/.615" custom ground on a 108 lsa straight up with no advance ground in.

Planning to mill the heads .010"
Already have Cometic .040" gaskets
Pistons are out of the hole .005" quench should be .035"
Planning to run Fitech or Holley Sniper TBI undecided so far on which..

Don't have headers yet, I'm thinking 1.75 would be good or 1 7/8"?

Could one of You kind gentlemen please run this combo through Cam Motions calculators for Cam timing and Compression? I attempted to use them but I don't own a PC and rhey wouldn't jive with My Android device.

Also any ideas on what I did Right, or wrong or could do better I all ears for. This is not a race car, just a fun appliance to beat on and do burnouts..

Thanks!
Quote:
Forgot to say cam is being ground on a 108 ICL.

Also, I know I've got to change My converter, as the one in there is for a Gen 1 sbc. I'm guestimating I'll need something between 36-3800? All ears on suggestions.

Also I'm sure more gear would help get this heavy beast moving but how much? I'm sure 4.56's would be the best acceleration, but will likely be miswrable on long drives as well as a really high driveshaft speed at normal highway speeds. Maybe 4.30's or would 4.10's be enough?

Thanks again guys even if Y'all tell Me the whole deal is terrible!
There are a few areas of concern. First is intake piston-to-valve clearance. If you look at the valve events below, you will see that the Intake valve open that is circles is at 7.5 degrees before TDC @ .050". This will be very tight. If you mill the heads and or run a thinner head gasket like you plan, it will reduce the piston-to-valve clearance even more. Next is the unusually late exhaust valve close (also circled in black). The very late EVO adds a lot of overlap which will diminish idle vacuum, make the idle rough and will diminish low speed torque and drivability likely more than it will reward you with high RPM power.

As for the gear and converter, your heavy vehicle will benefit from as much gear as you can tolerate. The 4.56 or 4.30 would be great since you have overdrive for on the highway. For the converter a 3500-4000 will accelerate the vehicle best. The drivability of a high stall converter is subjective. So, it is hard for me to say how you will like that on a daily basis.

~Steven

The Switch Is On To Cam Motion!
40 years of Championship Winning Experience Superior 8620 Steel Camshaft Cores Quiet, Smooth & Powerful Lobe Design Virtually Unlimited Lift and Duration Combinations Finish Polished For Quiet Operation Cam Doctor Printout With All Cams
The Industry's Best Customer Service

www.CamMotion.com ☎ 225-926-6110 Like Us On Facebook!
CAMMOTION PERF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:05 AM   #85

Steven,

Thanks for the reply, I'm sure Y'all are super busy and I appreciate the reponse!

I 100% expected to flycut the pistons with this cam, and will order the appropriate Lindy tool to do so.

As for the stall I knew I was gonna need something in that ballpark, I expect to run a 3,800-4,000 or there abouts. And I'm really considering 4.56's as sadly there is no 4.30 offered for My 454ss rearend.

I know this cam will benifit from more compression than I've got. This particular l76 came with dished pistons which I believe give a stock CR of 9.4? My plan is to mill the heads .010 and run .040 Cometics. Would rhis get Me to @ 10.0ish? or would I be better served scrounging up a set of lq9 flattops and going the same route with the milling and thinner gaskets, would this perhads get Me closer to 11-1 and halp it from being as soggy on the bottom end?

Also, in Y'all experience, how much is safe to cut stock GM pistons? This engine will likely not get sprayed, and if so, a 150 shot would give all the excitement I'd need Lol!
Sincere thanks.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:10 AM   #86
LS1Tech Sponsor

Quote:
Steven,

Thanks for the reply, I'm sure Y'all are super busy and I appreciate the reponse!

I 100% expected to flycut the pistons with this cam, and will order the appropriate Lindy tool to do so.

As for the stall I knew I was gonna need something in that ballpark, I expect to run a 3,800-4,000 or there abouts. And I'm really considering 4.56's as sadly there is no 4.30 offered for My 454ss rearend.

I know this cam will benifit from more compression than I've got. This particular l76 came with dished pistons which I believe give a stock CR of 9.4? My plan is to mill the heads .010 and run .040 Cometics. Would rhis get Me to @ 10.0ish? or would I be better served scrounging up a set of lq9 flattops and going the same route with the milling and thinner gaskets, would this perhads get Me closer to 11-1 and halp it from being as soggy on the bottom end?

Also, in Y'all experience, how much is safe to cut stock GM pistons? This engine will likely not get sprayed, and if so, a 150 shot would give all the excitement I'd need Lol!
Sincere thanks.
Our customers tell us they cut .080" valve reliefs with good results. Customers also report that they can typically mill the heads as much as .030" without running into intake manifold fit problems.

In regards to the nitrous, just remember that fly-cutting the pistons thins and weakens the piston above the ring lands. A weakened piston would be more succeptable to failure than an uncut stock piston. With that said, some customers are successfully doing this. Some others, not so lucky.

The Switch Is On To Cam Motion!
40 years of Championship Winning Experience Superior 8620 Steel Camshaft Cores Quiet, Smooth & Powerful Lobe Design Virtually Unlimited Lift and Duration Combinations Finish Polished For Quiet Operation Cam Doctor Printout With All Cams
The Industry's Best Customer Service

www.CamMotion.com ☎ 225-926-6110 Like Us On Facebook!
CAMMOTION PERF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:14 AM   #87

Thanks again Steven, that's what I figured and why I'll likely never spray this combo.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:47 PM   #88
Staging Lane

This thread is amazing. Thank you!
AnthonyLMBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:04 PM   #89
Old School Heavy

That is good to hear Anthony. I hoped it would be a nice contribution to the LS community.
speedtigger is online now   Reply With Quote