Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

LSX 376 B8, help

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 01:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LSX 376 B8, help

so i just baught the lsx 376 long block, this is my first LS build and the car is a 60 falcon two door, t56 trans 9" rearand will run a 4:11 to 4:88s tub chassi with a TCI frout end. it will be a street strip warrior. so question is does ANYONE know anything about the 376s? i have a 10 to 12k budget, so looks like a carb for now, im not famular with the efi setups. my builder and i plan to spec the motor first and see tollerences. had a friend with a 572 and it didnt last for ****, so a little nervious. then do the heads, what kind of cfm can we get or should do anything? what about cam and valve springs? msd ignition and coils? what can the motor handle before we have to cut the pistons? i want 600+hp and plan on a turbo upgrade next year, just want to get this baby on the road this spring.

save your ignorant commets for someone else, im a vet and am looking for inteligent assistance thanks
Old 08-28-2014, 02:19 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

If it is a LS3 based setup, it will make near 600 HP all motor with a good intake and carb setup through the use of a custom cam as long as the exhaust is supportive.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:24 PM
Teching In

its rated at 450 on EFI. but how much can we bumb compression? 9:1 factory, how big of a cam can we go till piston valve issues. which intake? LSX intake or eldbrock? single or double plain ?????
Old 08-28-2014, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

super vic.....custom cam. My cam is 622-600. Had to notch, but you always need to check
Old 08-28-2014, 08:33 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

As I understand the LSX 376 engine is 9:1 compression ratio, so that will be a detriment to achieving max performance in a naturally aspirated build. This will also limit the aggressiveness of the ideal camshaft choice. While I understand you intend to turbocharge later, if you are interested, Brian Tooley Racing has an excellent budget forged piston that will increase your compression which has the correct design for proper deck height with the factory connecting rods. You will need to rebalance the engine if you use them. Give him a call for details if this interests you.

If you want to run the 9:1 compression, running a more moderate camshaft will help bolster cylinder pressure and midrange power.
Perhaps something like this excellent unit:
http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...1-ls6-engines/
With this cam, you should not have piston to valve clearance problems if you do not mill the heads.

I must say, your last sentence made me laugh out loud. Not too often do you see a preemptive insult to an entire community. Shrewd. LOL
Old 08-29-2014, 07:59 AM
Staging Lane

600 hp without flycutting the pistons is almost impossible, as I have been trying the same thing for a while. Personally I would go with a better piston that has deep valve reliefs already cut into them. I found a set of probe forged pistons that 10.8:1 with a 70 cc head for just over 500 bucks.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:57 AM
TECH Regular

The only ignorant thing here is thinking these motors are worth bothering with to run naturally aspirated. There are a multitude of cheaper/better crate motors available that will make way more power aspirated and without the need to change all that crap.

Do some research online, try google or better yet look at some of the forum sponsors.

Quick Reply: LSX 376 B8, help