Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

hit up the track

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 10:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default hit up the track

chasing my tail some more.

i discovered a problem. my truck won't shift to 2nd at WOT. it's probably been doing this since day 1. anyways I drove in, teched, drove straight to the line and ran a 6.80@101. 1.46 60' shifting 1st to third.

the sun went down and the traction went away. a few 1.75 60' times no matter what i tried. guess drag radials dont like the cold becuase i didnt see anyone else hooking on radials. slicks were still sticking.

anyways i spent the entire night chasing traction and trying to get the truck to shift into 2nd gear at WOT. a ton of 7.20 slips with shitty 60' times. it ran a 7.5 shifting first to fourth lol. pissing me off as usual. i'm curious how it will run with 2nd gear LOL.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Yes, that time of year where its hit and miss.
I've had them work in the cold....but was a lot slower then.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

man, it went to **** quick. basically as soon as the sun hit the dirt, the track quit biting for me. that first pass hooked great though anyone know what would cause a 65e to not shift 2nd gear at WOT? I think my converter is throwing the trans controller for a loop. it is basically at 7k rpm as soon as my foot hits the floor. the shift drop back is 7,000 to 6,000 shifting to 3rd instead of 2nd.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

So 1 to 3 shift it only drops 1000rpm ??
Old 11-10-2014, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

yes, but after thinking about it, it's a 6,000 converter so it makes sense that it will only drop to 6,000 as it's lowest RPM against the converter.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just outta curiosity, but why so much converter? seems like you'd lose some et with it slipping all the time.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
man, it went to **** quick. basically as soon as the sun hit the dirt, the track quit biting for me. that first pass hooked great though anyone know what would cause a 65e to not shift 2nd gear at WOT? I think my converter is throwing the trans controller for a loop. it is basically at 7k rpm as soon as my foot hits the floor. the shift drop back is 7,000 to 6,000 shifting to 3rd instead of 2nd.
Might be centrifugal apply. They make High rpm springs that you probably need. You would think the one two shift is pretty straight forward... due to the only real thing that makes the shift is the band grabs the drum. However a lot of other stuff can override that. Call Dana at pro-built the guy really knows his stuff.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tim burks
just outta curiosity, but why so much converter? seems like you'd lose some et with it slipping all the time.

i haven't calculated the slip, but once at 6k rpm and up it does its job. from a dig, i don't mind being between 6k-7400. the converter was supposed to be a 4,500 but that isn't what i got lol. it drives nice and launches hard N/A so i kept it around for a while. i knew i would have to eventually remove it, and the builder told me that he will rebuild it until I'm happy. I'm just not sure I'm willing to remove and install that many times lol.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by The stunningman
Might be centrifugal apply. They make High rpm springs that you probably need. You would think the one two shift is pretty straight forward... due to the only real thing that makes the shift is the band grabs the drum. However a lot of other stuff can override that. Call Dana at pro-built the guy really knows his stuff.

i have a few things to try. i don't think the problem is within the transmission at all. it shifts fast and firm (not to be confused with harsh) at all times besides WOT. it has to be in the tuning, or the aftermarket ECU not being able to react fast enough to the converter. the transmission was originally a LVL7 FLT transmission that i sent back to the original builder who no longer works for FLT. he upgraded the LVL 7 with parts that weren't available to the market when the transmission was originally built. smart-tech aftermarket input housing, billet apply pressure plates, a new sonnax drum, the trans brake, Billet reverse input drum spring retainer, billet pump rotor, and a deep pan. it's as built as a 65e can be built at this point i guess. the builder wants me to log the solenoid operation while at WOT to see if the computer is commanding a 2nd shift, or a 3rd shift to start a process of elimination on what's actually causing the missed shift.

Last edited by TXsilverado; 11-11-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

guess who has 2nd gear at WOT now. I'm curious to see if it runs any better shifting 1-2-3 instead of just 1-3. I found a table called WOT upshift delay time. I had it set to zero because racetruck. setting this table to zero apparently isn't a problem on a 4l80e but a 60e needs time to let the solenoids react to the commanded shift...or maybe it's for the fluid to have time to build once the solenoid switches. anyways I punched in .5 into that box and bingo. 2nd gear is alive. just so you guys don't think I'm a moron who didn't notice that my trans never saw 2nd on the track...check out how fast things happen once my foot hits the floor.

Quick Reply: hit up the track