Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

wideband reading at idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default wideband reading at idle

My car has always done this and this is my first carb motor I have ever tuned with a wideband so maybe its normal. At first start up it reads way lean, 17-18. As it idles it slowly drops and settles to where I want it around 13. It does the same on deceleration, it stays where it should while driving and idling at a stop light it slowly comes down, sometimes dropping even lower. The longer it idles, the fatter it gets

Has anyone else noticed this? is it common to carbed motors? Its not a problem, the car runs great and I have it tuned perfectly, I have always noticed this since I put the wideband in.

Last edited by Horsepwraddict; 12-16-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Horsepwraddict
My car has always done this and this is my first carb motor I have ever tuned with a wideband so maybe its normal. At first start up it reads way lean, 17-18. As it idles it slowly drops and settles to where I want it around 13. It does the same on deceleration, it stays where it should while driving and idling at a stop light it slowly comes down, sometimes dropping even lower. The longer it idles, the fatter it gets

Has anyone else noticed this? is it common to carbed motors? Its not a problem, the car runs great and I have it tuned perfectly, I have always noticed this since I put the wideband in.

W/a carb, it's gonna move around a bit. @ start up, it takes some time for the O2 sensor to warm up &/or fueling from carb to balance out. So, she's gonna show lean for a bit (normal). Am not sure why you want 13:1 @ idle, but it can be adjusted. How it's adjusted depends on the carb. Normally, idle A/F ratio is set to stoich which is 14.63:1.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:34 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

It is typical for a carbureted car without a choke to be lean and a bit fussy at idle when it is cold. As the car warms up it will typically read richer on the wideband.

Once the car is warm, the idle should be fairly stable. I always tune my car for best warm idle. I know racers who tune their car to idle fat because they often cold start it and don't want to deal with it being fussy until it warms up.

Not all carbed cars will be willing to idle consistently at a 14.5:1 wideband reading. In fact, that is fairly uncommon for a car with a decent sized cam to maintain such a lean wideband reading at idle.

My car behaves best when the idle varies between 13.5:1 - 14.2:1.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A/F readings can be off alot if the cam is big and large exhaust pipes. Also if the exhaust ends close to the O2 sensor it can read lean from backwash.

Aleck
Old 12-17-2014, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The above comment was for idle and low rpm.

Aleck
Old 12-18-2014, 04:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1-450
W/a carb, it's gonna move around a bit. @ start up, it takes some time for the O2 sensor to warm up &/or fueling from carb to balance out. So, she's gonna show lean for a bit (normal). Am not sure why you want 13:1 @ idle, but it can be adjusted. How it's adjusted depends on the carb. Normally, idle A/F ratio is set to stoich which is 14.63:1.
I am not new by any means to tuning carbs, I have just never had a wideband on a carbed motor before. I have it at 13-13.5 because that's where the motor is happiest. Any leaner and it gets fussy on start up, cold days and parking lot driving (my converter is way to tight),

Originally Posted by speedtigger
It is typical for a carbureted car without a choke to be lean and a bit fussy at idle when it is cold. As the car warms up it will typically read richer on the wideband.

Once the car is warm, the idle should be fairly stable. I always tune my car for best warm idle. I know racers who tune their car to idle fat because they often cold start it and don't want to deal with it being fussy until it warms up.

Not all carbed cars will be willing to idle consistently at a 14.5:1 wideband reading. In fact, that is fairly uncommon for a car with a decent sized cam to maintain such a lean wideband reading at idle.

My car behaves best when the idle varies between 13.5:1 - 14.2:1.
it does stabilize after its warm, it just takes a little bit to settle to where it should after a hot restart or coming to a stop.

I figured it was normal, It was always in the back of my head while tuning though. I guess I just needed reassurance.

Thanks Guys!

Quick Reply: wideband reading at idle