Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Thanks guys

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 07:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Thanks guys

We try to periodically thank the board; in this case, the carb section. Thanks for helping me to understand just how good modern carbs can be. Having come from programmable EFI, we had overlooked the progress modern carbs made. Although, carbs will likely never offer the adjustability of programmable EFI, they're a great option for our non-daily driver(s).

In reference to a simple MSD 6010 type of timing controller, an area that could use further advancement is the programmable timing curve feature. Would be great to be able to adjust multiple timing points through the RPM range based on somewhat individual MAP. Similar to the existing graph, but a chart w/ multiple timing inputs per MAP instead of just one timing input per MAP @ a single RPM point limited to 6 points. So, @ a specific MAP, timing can be made different through the RPM range. For example the top line of the chart might have MAP in steps of 0-10-15-20...105 & the side 0-500-1000...9000 so that the programmer can create multiple timing points @ 10 MAP & so on, from 0-9000 RPM. The current 6 points, 1 point per MAP & RPM is helpful, just not as effective as a multiple plot point graph would be.

Realizing there are controllers available that offer even more than what is noted here, would be a nice upgrade to the 6010 & those like it.

Anyway, thanks for the education. We luv the mechanical adjustability offered by the modern Quickfuel carb.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:51 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I am evaluating the Smart Spark unit from Daytona Sensors right now. The advance curve and the map curves are infinitely adjustable. It also has individual cylinder timing options. I will be publishing a write up on it when it when I am done.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I am evaluating the Smart Spark unit from Daytona Sensors right now. The advance curve and the map curves are infinitely adjustable. It also has individual cylinder timing options. I will be publishing a write up on it when it when I am done.
After reading a few more threads where the Smart Spark was mentioned, went & read the instruction download for LS engines. This thing is sweet. I like the fact that there is an option for LS2 coils (am sure that it's dwell time related). Only thing missing that I would like to have found is the ability to log the knock sensors. Guess, we're stuck w/headphones/mic in order to listen for knock @ WOT.

At first glance, thought it was a piggyback controller for the MSD. After reading further found that it is a complete replacement. We will most likely end up w/ one later in the season.

Quick Reply: Thanks guys