Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

The truth about the MSD 6010 & 6012

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 08:11 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shane Porter
http://www.coloradospeed.com/buyer-b...er-ezp-88.html

The harnesses look identical too the MSD ?
Perhaps the same Chinese factory ?
The harness is often the reason people think their MSD's are broken. ...... just wondering.
That is why we use the Daytona-Sensors boxes. Made here in FL and the harness puts the MSD one to shame.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I understand you've already solved your issue...

Why has nobody tried compression releases yet?
Old 06-12-2015, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm by no means running a bad *** built motor with high compression like some here, but the Daytona does fire up quicker than the msd. I don't know how many times I had to change the plugs because the msd wouldn't fire and just fouled them. I talked over the phone with Glenn from redline and talked about its features, one thing that it has over the msd as well is the msd needs at least 450rpm before it sparks, the Daytona doesn't, so that should help with the high compression motors.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:51 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

All my carbed setups have been stock compression with perhaps killed heads. Never fouled plugs and it is not possible for a car to fire up faster than most of my setup. This is just my experience. I've built on a budget and not sure when I will
Build another carbed setup since I will be dishing out the cash for the Holley dominator EFI next. Don't want to work on my turbo car more than I'm driving it and I know a carbed blow through will take way longer to tune and have to mess with it more than a dominator setup.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:46 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
I know a carbed blow through will take way longer to tune and have to mess with it more than a dominator setup.
I 150%disagree.
I had a CSU 750 blowthrough on my turbo LY6, and I just switched to Dominator efi.
the efi is way more involved to tune.
the CSU was awesome out of the box , and only 2 jet sizes and an accel nozzle change off from bang on. AND that was verified by datalogs.
I still have not nailed down an EFI tune that drives as well, or holds as steady an A/F throughout a drag run, as my old CSU 750.
theses are facts and not opinions
Old 06-14-2015, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Shane Porter
http://www.coloradospeed.com/buyer-b...er-ezp-88.html

The harnesses look identical too the MSD ?
Perhaps the same Chinese factory ?
The harness is often the reason people think their MSD's are broken. ...... just wondering.
Yes the harness looks close,, but the speed master one is clearly better and has 2 MAP ports one for the 3 bar and one for the 2 bar.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:08 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Originally Posted by 3pedals
I 150%disagree.
I had a CSU 750 blowthrough on my turbo LY6, and I just switched to Dominator efi.
the efi is way more involved to tune.
the CSU was awesome out of the box , and only 2 jet sizes and an accel nozzle change off from bang on. AND that was verified by datalogs.
I still have not nailed down an EFI tune that drives as well, or holds as steady an A/F throughout a drag run, as my old CSU 750.
theses are facts and not opinions
I 250% disagree. Because I would be modding a stock carb and doing all the work myself and not using the same carbed setup as you, so I cannot say the same.

But, if my **** comes together and runs flawlessly, I'll let you know what I did so you can try to fix yours.

You using the auto tune feature for the base program?
Old 06-15-2015, 01:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Honestly, I think using Holley HP efi as the ignition controller, is the way to go. Even if you stay carb'd.
yes cost more, but gives you SO much more control, and also Datalogging.
And converting to efi would be easy from there.
Curious as to how this would work, do you have anymore info on this as to how it works and gets set up? I know for sure crank, cam, and map sensors are needed, but what about the wideband, iat and knock sensors? I'm sure knock sensors can come in handy to pull timing when necessary. And injectors? Does it not need to have them connected to work properly? I am very curious because I have the hp efi that I bought got a very good price and saving it for future use.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:46 AM
In-Zane Moderator

I know that the Holley EFI HP and dominator come with a wide band.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
I know that the Holley EFI HP and dominator come with a wide band.
Yeah I know this, but my question was does the hp efi ecu need to see the what's going on with afr or not done it won't be controlling fuel if you only use it as ignition on a carb.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by zamora7
Curious as to how this would work, do you have anymore info on this as to how it works and gets set up? I know for sure crank, cam, and map sensors are needed, but what about the wideband, iat and knock sensors? I'm sure knock sensors can come in handy to pull timing when necessary. And injectors? Does it not need to have them connected to work properly? I am very curious because I have the hp efi that I bought got a very good price and saving it for future use.
You will need crank and cam sensors. Map would only be needed if doing a timing curve.
It will need a TPS on the harness but it does not have to be hooked to the carb.
The Holley stuff wont start without a TPS autoset which can be done manually once.

On a side note there was a change in the 6010 firmware about 4 years ago that caused the trouble with starting some modified engine combos.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:01 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by T.Fiddler
You will need crank and cam sensors. Map would only be needed if doing a timing curve.
It will need a TPS on the harness but it does not have to be hooked to the carb.
The Holley stuff wont start without a TPS autoset which can be done manually once.

On a side note there was a change in the 6010 firmware about 4 years ago that caused the trouble with starting some modified engine combos.
If you use a Holley HP, it will come with a wideband O2 sensor, and a harness that plugs into all the factory LS sensors, such as: crank, cam, cts, MAP, and oil pressure. You dont need the TPS sensor hooked to carb, just hooked up so you can perform the "autoset" that the Holley HP software requires.... but I would configure a mount for it on the carb, or throttle linkage (should not be too difficult) so you can datalog it, AND use it to trigger internal things like timing retards, etc..... You wont need the fuel pressure sensor, but you could use one, and then it will be dataloged along with all the other sensors.
I would FOR SURE connect a MAP sensor, as it will allow a full timing table to be configured.

Basically, If you allready have it, USE IT.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, thanks. That doesn't sound like much trouble at all. I just hope I hope the holley harness can be hidden as good as the smart spark harness, the holley has a bunch of connectors lol
Old 06-15-2015, 08:53 PM
8 Second Club

Ok, thanks. That doesn't sound like much trouble at all. I just hope I hope the holley harness can be hidden as good as the smart spark harness, the holley has a bunch of connectors lol
If you need any help configuring a timing tune, hit me up
ps the holley harness is ALOT nicer than the MSD harness
Old 06-15-2015, 08:58 PM
Banned

There are more cost effective ways of getting a nicee harness than the msd.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:01 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Redline Performance
There are more cost effective ways of getting a nicee harness than the msd.
No doubt, but please do tell how the daytona box and harness cost compares to a Holley HP setup(used in carb app), when you factor in all the datalogging capabilities of the holley.
thats right, it doesnt come close.....................
EDIT - didnt mean to come off like a dick, but I stand by my opinion.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:11 PM
Banned

No doubt, but please do tell how the daytona box and harness cost compares to a Holley HP setup(used in carb app), when you factor in all the datalogging capabilities of the holley.
thats right, it doesnt come close.....................
If you want to data log with a smart spark it is pretty easy. All you have to do is add a wego 4 wideband, a nc-1 or nc-2 nitrous controller, or their boost controller if you are turbo. All these items with a smart spark will cost you a good deal less than a holley hp.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:43 PM
Banned

EDIT - didnt mean to come off like a dick, but I stand by my opinion.
No offense taken. Not many people know the capabilities of some of the daytona sensors products. The holley hp is a nice ecu but is really over kill for a carb setup, but if you like it, it is your car and your money.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:15 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Redline Performance
No offense taken. Not many people know the capabilities of some of the daytona sensors products. The holley hp is a nice ecu but is really over kill for a carb setup, but if you like it, it is your car and your money.
well, I now have the holley dominator efi. thus far its been a steep learning curve, but the logging and control are NICE! - this brings me back to this: I wish when I was doing my first carb conversion, that I had done the holley HP and used it to run the ignition and datalog.

You are right about not many knowing the capabilities of the Daytona stuff. If you are selling it, please make a nice little comparison of its capabilities vrs say an MSD 6012 plus a datalogging setup, or the Holley Hp (used to run carb), or say an MS3 used to run ign and datalog. The carb guys would love as much info as you can give em
Old 06-16-2015, 02:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks.

Ps, I don't have an msd harness, I have the Daytona sensors stuff.

Quick Reply: The truth about the MSD 6010 & 6012