Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

on my 3rd 6012 msd. box

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 10:07 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by streetrod56
Help please. the 6012 box only lasts from 4 months to 10 days in my car. Has any one had this problem? car runs great and starts great until the box poops to bed. MSD says they have no problems with them.
If you are interested I can hook you up with a smart spark LS to replace the msd unit.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:05 PM
Teching In

i am doing a drag truck. and its gonna be a carb set up. what ignition boxes are out there? was going to use the 6012 but the more i read the more i think thats not going to be a good box to use.dont want to be one of them that has to buy 3 or 4 of these. just put good money into a good box one time.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:40 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I will say majority do not experience a issue with them. I have not, and I have used more than I can remember. But my cars are all daily drivers or mild track application with stock to mild compression still pump gas capable.

The newest offering is a more in depth level of control that is much needed for dedicated race applications and for those using compression beyond pump fuel.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Zone is absolutely right. There is nothing to be scared of with the MSD boxes. Between dirt track racing and drag racing. I must know well over a hundred different guys with a wide variety of applications. And haven't heard anything negative about them until I saw some stuff on here. And it seems that it was all operator error. I'm a firm believer in following Directions. And if I have any questions about a product, I will call them directly to find the answer. Instead of winging it and hope for the best just because they may be stubborn, and want to do it their way, even if it isn't the right way. We run a 14.5:1 motor on spray with 0 problems with our 6012. So the crap about it won't support a big motor is just crap. Ground it the way they tell you to. Run the hot the way they tell you to. No Offence to anyone at all. Didn't mean to sound like old mother hen. LOL
Old 07-08-2015, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so...when you follow the directions to the "t", then have problems, and hit MSD's "tech support" up for help, yet they can't figure it out, or are too uneducated on the system to be of any help, what are we to do? throwing all the failures under the bus as "installation error" is as bad as saying that all the boxes are crap.

i've had MSD tech's say to report all the failures i can find. tech services know the boxes are problematic, and are hoping to document enough failures to get the marketing department to hire a new group of engineers (oh, you didn't know? msd doesn't have full time engineering staff any longer...thanks china!) to redesign the box and release a better product.

i'm liking the holley system more and more.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

I just fired mine up after sitting all winter, and it's on it's 3rd year, no issues works perfect. Another local guy I race with also has never had an issue with them and has had multiple boxes.

I personally think part of everyone's problems is that people think there installations are done correctly but in reality the wiring/install is poorly done and the grounds/power feed aren't sized or installed correctly.

Ive also seen them mounted with sheet metal screws, zip ty's and everything else you can imagine.

For people to say the box is junk and it doesn't have capabilities.
There was an S10 posted on here that went 4.98 in the 1/8 with a 6012 box....they obviously work!

With that said I do want a Daytona Sensors box for the ICT, that is a sweet option!
There box and harness also look way nicer and thought out!
Old 07-08-2015, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

I'm on my second 6012 and fourth sensor. Mine pops back through the carb and sometimes through exhaust. Cam sensor error on laptop. Called msd multiple times and I really don't know why I called a second time. Switched cam sensor wires, plugs, wires, cam sensor, crank sensor. Fn pos
Old 07-08-2015, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

Hold up guys it works....... As a wheel chock!
Old 07-08-2015, 11:22 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdgenbum
so...when you follow the directions to the "t", then have problems, and hit MSD's "tech support" up for help, yet they can't figure it out, or are too uneducated on the system to be of any help, what are we to do? throwing all the failures under the bus as "installation error" is as bad as saying that all the boxes are crap.

i've had MSD tech's say to report all the failures i can find. tech services know the boxes are problematic, and are hoping to document enough failures to get the marketing department to hire a new group of engineers (oh, you didn't know? msd doesn't have full time engineering staff any longer...thanks china!) to redesign the box and release a better product.

The Holley setup is a different monster all together. Was hoping to get one next year, but gloves are off and I am building a 30x50 shop. So it may be a while longer.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdgenbum

You do know that the Holley stuff is made in China too. LOL
Matt please don't take anything personal. I know there are always exceptions to any rule. And you are experiencing a problem I have never read or heard about before. But you also have to admit, that you yourself have laid down some very good passes with your Msd box. And while there is some people with legit problems. Most seem to be operator error. I never said anything different. You have read all the different threads of people having problems. Be honest. You know it to be true too.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car runs hard. when the msd is working, it works just as designed. but it's unreliable. to need to keep a spare on hand at all time seems dumb, lol. my other qualms with the msd box mostly have to do with features. in this day and age, we should be able to do 3d timing maps, individual cylinder timing, and have inputs for data logging. this is where the daytona sensors box shines...except for the logging part....which is why i'm looking at going to the holley. i'd like a self contained piece that does all of this.

i know that the holley stuff is built overseas as well. the ecu's for the equipment i deal with at work are the same way. it's just the way things are now.

Quick Reply: on my 3rd 6012 msd. box