Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

"Budget" Build Carbed 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Budget" Build Carbed 5.3

Hey guys, this is my first post. I've been hanging around this site for awhile now and finally decided to join. My names Dylan, and I'm 23 from MN.

Anyways, I picked up a 1980 Chevy Scottsdale 4x4. Truck has a 350 4 bolt main backed by a TH350 (trans is out). I have a 4.8 with 30K on it with a spun cam bearing and 243 heads, and a 5.3 with 207K on it besides the 706 Castech heads that I suspect are cracked.

Plan is to freshen up the 5.3 block, put the 4.8 pistons in the 5.3, port and polish the 243 heads, maybe a little milling too, spec a cam,push rods and springs, run the MSD 6010 with a Dual Plane intake. figure out a Carb, and back it by a SM456 4 speed.

Truck will be a weekend toy, Jump in and hit the woods, hunting, fishing type of deal.

My question is, am I missing anything? And just looking for advice and knowledge. I'm no stranger to the Vortec engines.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This may be helpful to you:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=679407

Learn from my research and pain
Old 10-05-2015, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by APillow
This may be helpful to you:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=679407

Learn from my research and pain
Thank You, I'm glad I saw your PSA if I go with a edelbrock intake!!! Did you have clearance issues with the clutch linkage and the headers?

I have been also reading a lot on this thread for mating the 4 speed to the 5.3. Same concept just not EFI. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=532351
Old 10-05-2015, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check my links, I copied what others here have done with block hugger LS1 headers and turn down kit. The parts were perfect for my needs. Again I think the part numbers are listed with links.

Now I am running pure mechanical linkage, so I had to have the clearance. If you run hydraulic the world opens up for you room wise. Let us know which way you are going and we can help advise. For me, I just needed to fabricate a mount for the mechanical Z-bar (easier to start with a I-6 version!).
Old 10-05-2015, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by APillow
Check my links, I copied what others here have done with block hugger LS1 headers and turn down kit. The parts were perfect for my needs. Again I think the part numbers are listed with links.

Now I am running pure mechanical linkage, so I had to have the clearance. If you run hydraulic the world opens up for you room wise. Let us know which way you are going and we can help advise. For me, I just needed to fabricate a mount for the mechanical Z-bar (easier to start with a I-6 version!).
I honestly haven't decided if I'm going manual or hydraulic yet. I still have to check around my area for parts on that. My best friends dad owns a car crushing company and they have a private stash of chevy trucks they let me go through. Usually I can get parts from him for little to nothing or trade work.

I'm still trying to stay inline with that "budget" term, even though I use the term vaguely. I more or less just say it to keep my girl happy. I don't mind if my ***** are in her purse (gonna happen sooner or later), but I don't want my wallet in there too!! haha

Quick Reply: "Budget" Build Carbed 5.3