Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Help me get my carb in the ballpark.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me get my carb in the ballpark.

Obviously, I know that the best way would be to tune with a wideband. Since I've owned the vehicle it's had a smoking issue at WOT that I've been trying to figure out. Pulled the carb apart to check it today, and its been into before. I'm wondering if maybe its carb smoke I've been seeing. Here's a video:

Setup is:
2000 GMC Jimmy
5.3/th350
torquer v2
vic jr
shorty headers
4k converter
3.42s
3420 w/o driver
runs 8.20's with a 1.8 60'

The carb is a 750 double pump mechanical secondaries. Jets: 73h/84 Squirters 28/31, pink pump cams, appears to be 30cc accelerator pumps (don't know for sure how to identify it.)

That seems a little on the rich side to me. Is that in the ball park, or could that be my smoking issue?
Old 04-03-2016, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another thing to note. Just saw the power valve was blocked off
Old 04-03-2016, 07:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 129 Likes on 116 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Black = fuel
Blue/gray = oil
White = coolant

I think you're sucking oil into the intake.(or at least the combustion chamber)

Done a leak down test or compression test yet ?
Old 04-09-2016, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

new valve seals?
Old 04-09-2016, 02:03 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

How do the plugs look?

I think you should just dyno the vehicle, get a real wideband report and go from there. Power valves blocked means no additional fuel from pressure drop- so your main/secondary jets have to be larger to compensate I guess, and you have no "economy mode", that is a strictly race engine. Especially with that non-lockup 3-speed behind it.

That said, once you find out how much power you are making, and determine the air fuel ratio the motor runs at, you can take a couple extra passes on the dyno to dial in the timing a bit, and then decide how much more power the motor can support (say you are at 380 now, but you know the motor will hold 450~) just add nitrous for seasoning to taste.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
How do the plugs look?

I think you should just dyno the vehicle, get a real wideband report and go from there. Power valves blocked means no additional fuel from pressure drop- so your main/secondary jets have to be larger to compensate I guess, and you have no "economy mode", that is a strictly race engine. Especially with that non-lockup 3-speed behind it.

That said, once you find out how much power you are making, and determine the air fuel ratio the motor runs at, you can take a couple extra passes on the dyno to dial in the timing a bit, and then decide how much more power the motor can support (say you are at 380 now, but you know the motor will hold 450~) just add nitrous for seasoning to taste.
I agree a dyno and wideband would be the best option. Like I said I'm just trying to get it in the ballpark for right now. It's just a cheap toy to me right now that I drag to the track on occasion. Pulled the plugs and they were oily/trashed. Put new valve seals on this week, new plugs, and jetted the carb square with 78 jets since its not running power valves. Should be going to back to the track this weekend to see how it all pans out.

Edit: Did compression test it, and all was fine. I'm stumped if this doesnt fix the problem. The evac system is just crankcase breathers currently.

Quick Reply: Help me get my carb in the ballpark.