Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Intake Manifold Temp

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 04:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Manifold Temp

Ive got an ls1 in my boat .
Its dead stock with proform 650 (mec secondarys ) , MSD , and RPM intake.

It starts and runs mint , has done for 2 years, but the last couple of times out the weather has been pretty cold and when starting out even though the engine temp comes up too normal the motor will surge from 3000 -3500 at cruise and if i floor it it will only pull 4500 instead of the normal 5000.
After 5 - 10 minutes or so it comes too life and everythings normal .
I changed from a 160 thermostat back too a standard and that seems too have helped .
Am i on the right track thinking its just the manifold being too cold too properly atomise the fuel ?
I run a heat exchanger and have masive amounts of cooling plus vents beside the air filter so under hood temps will be less than in a car.
I dont the choke either , but it may need conecting ?
Old 08-16-2016, 08:27 AM
Launching!

if it's surging it maybe going lean. Pull a plug and check color and also check and make sure the fuel pressure is where it needs to be and hasn't changed also.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:53 AM
Teching In

Ok cool ill check that , but as far as I can see the only thing that has changed is the colder weather we are having here .
I dont want too start fidling with stuff at this stage if i can help it.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know my AFR's vary quite a bit once the car gets good and warm. You are probably on the right track.

Choke might help it start up more easily but not sure how much good it is going to do you up at 4500 RPM. With the mechanical choke engaged my engine doesn't want to rev, I pretty much only use it to keep it idling. I usually just drive it for a bit before hammering it too much.

I don't suppose you can get a wideband on there. Lower temps also mean more dense air which means different jetting to be 100% on.

You might try closing off the vents while it warms up.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:38 AM
Teching In

Nah , pain too try using a wide band . Id need too fit a dry pipe .
It starts instantly , always has even after sitting for a few weeks . Usually needs 2 pumps on the gas and after a minute it will idle happily around 500rpm and about 800 when warmed up.
Thats why ive never bothered with the electric choke , and the symptums ive described are still present long after a choke would have gone off.
I will try blocking off the vents around the air filter during winter , i dont need them for breathing , they are just alittle extra venting for the engine compartment.

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold Temp