Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

what intake and carb? 6.0 & rect port heads

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 11:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what intake and carb? 6.0 & rect port heads

putting a motor together for an 86 cutlass
6.0 iron block bored .030
thinking tsp 229 236 110
cnc #823 heads
3000 stall th350 and ford 9"

Vic Jr and msd 6010?
i see a lot of problems with the msd, is the 6014 available and is that what i should use?
should i pony up the $ for a pro systems carb?

i built pretty well a similiar set up just EFI, i am new to the carb world, any help would be appreciated.

im not looking for anything extravagant, more of a budget, just a weekend cruiser, and maybe a few 1/8th passes. thinking 500ish flywheel horsepower

I bought a set of SD CNC heads a year or so ago and figured i should put them to use. just bought an 06 van with the donor motor
Old 08-22-2016, 02:07 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Exira
putting a motor together for an 86 cutlass
6.0 iron block bored .030
thinking tsp 229 236 110
cnc #823 heads
3000 stall th350 and ford 9"

Vic Jr and msd 6010?
i see a lot of problems with the msd, is the 6014 available and is that what i should use?
should i pony up the $ for a pro systems carb?

i built pretty well a similiar set up just EFI, i am new to the carb world, any help would be appreciated.

im not looking for anything extravagant, more of a budget, just a weekend cruiser, and maybe a few 1/8th passes. thinking 500ish flywheel horsepower

I bought a set of SD CNC heads a year or so ago and figured i should put them to use. just bought an 06 van with the donor motor
For what you are doing I like the Eddy Vic Jr., Daytona Sensors Smart Spark ignition, Quick Fuel Q750 carburetor and the camshaft depends on what kind of personality you want it to have. Do you like a milder idle with focus on good manners, or would you prefer a rowdy, lopey idle with more of a hotrod personality?
Old 08-22-2016, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

Of course I want a good choppy idle, was told the tsp 229 236 110 would be a good cam for it. going to be 3-3200 stall. is just going to be a weekend cruiser, and some 1/8th passes just for fun with friends no competition, the 406 I have in it now does right under 8 seconds full interior and just street tires and 91 gas

is the smart box pretty readily available? Is there going to be a lot of tinkering and tunin involved with it or are they set up pretty decent out of the box, because of course when I get it in a running im going to want to take it up the road a few times.

msd 6014? are the earlier versions not even worth buying?

also, thanks for your input
Old 08-22-2016, 04:10 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Exira
Of course I want a good choppy idle, was told the tsp 229 236 110 would be a good cam for it. going to be 3-3200 stall. is just going to be a weekend cruiser, and some 1/8th passes just for fun with friends no competition, the 406 I have in it now does right under 8 seconds full interior and just street tires and 91 gas

is the smart box pretty readily available? Is there going to be a lot of tinkering and tunin involved with it or are they set up pretty decent out of the box, because of course when I get it in a running im going to want to take it up the road a few times.

msd 6014? are the earlier versions not even worth buying?

also, thanks for your input
Yes. The Smart Spark is readily available:
http://www.daytona-sensors.com/SmartSpark.html

I have not seen the 6014 in person yet. So, I can't speak to that. The Smart Spark had more adjust-ability and a higher quality wiring harness than the 6010/6012 did. The 6010/6012 user interface was a little simpler and more intuitive, but I figured out the Smart Spark pretty quick.

As for the camshaft, I would recommend this one for what you are doing:
http://store.cammotion.com/hot-stree...reted-camshaft

This cam was designed for your application. I used a similar camshaft to run 11 flat in my #3700 street cruiser and it drives great around town. But, in full disclosure, I work for Cam Motion. So, I am biased.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:27 PM
12 Second Club

Keep us updated on what you do! I have an 86 Monte Carlo that I bracket race and am thinking about building something similar. It's going to have a glide with probably 4000 stall. I'm thinking factory L92 heads vic jr and not sure on cam yet. My end goal is 6.9-7.0 in the 1/8th.

I can't speak about cam size or what ignition for you, but I would recommend E85 if you have it available in your area and Mark Sullens for the carb.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

I would run an MSD 6010/6012. Thousands of people running these boxes with no issues, will save you some coin over the Daytona box too although it is nice as well. I recently took off my Quickfuel and got a prosystems carb and absolutely love it. It has made driving the truck a lot more fun
Old 08-26-2016, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the input guy! i will definitely keep you updated.
I just got some more parts in today
pistons intake bearings studs head gaskets and lifters

Im not 100% throwing the motor in the g body, i got to looking in our storage building and thinking the 69 firebird might accept it quite well... time will tell

Quick Reply: what intake and carb? 6.0 & rect port heads