Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Recomendations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 01:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recomendations?

Ok So my set up is an LY6 going in a 78 Malibu, LS hotcam shorty headers, 700r4 although that might change, Other than that basically stock. I will be cruising with the family mostly, some burnouts, stomp on a few annoying hondas from time to time, You know its not going to be race car but I want it to hold its own.
What intake and carb would yous recommend I start with?
Old 05-04-2017, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Edelbrock Performer RPM intake

A Holley or Demon carb in the 700cfm-750cfm range would be a good choice. Getting one with a choke will make cold startups easier, but its not necessary. Choose a carb with vacuum secondaries if you want a little bit better gas mileage.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Sounds good thanks, Hats along the lines I was thinking. Out of curiosity not the edlebrock? I have one now and I'm not happy with it but it came on the car so I don't know how old it is or if someone has gone through it or not.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

750VS carb should work great....
Old 05-06-2017, 08:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That car should definitely hold it's own.

The most common carb on here is a Holley 750 or equivalent (quick fuel, proform, etc). Lots of tuning help on this forum. The Edlebrock will work, but you won't get as much tuning help from this site anyway.

And in case you didn't know don't get an edlebrock ignition box. They deleted the lap top connection for some odd reason. You really want the lap top connection to set up the ignition right. If buying new get an MSD 6014. Lots of guys really like the Daytona systems box. plenty of info on here describing both.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Thanks Ill keep that in mind as I shop
Old 05-09-2017, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Edelbrock rpm intake for a mild street car for sure.

Edelbrock carbs are great for stock ls engines w/ stock or small cams since you can simply add a stiffer/custom step-up spring to compensate for the high (22in Hg) idle vacuum, unlike the holley whose power valve goes up to 10.5 and making custom ones is rough. IMO both carbs will need to be tuned with and AFR gauge to achieve best overall performance. Holley carbs run rich and edelbrocks run lean out of the box, but both can be made to be great carbs. Because you have the gm hot cam, a holley should be fine.

I have the Daytona box, and it's great. Not a single glitch ever. The MSD seems more user friendly and is a bit cheaper.

Quick Reply: Recomendations?