Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Please help! Msd 6014 cam sensor fault

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please help! Msd 6014 cam sensor fault

Hey guys I have been trying to chase down a cam sensor fault issue. My 6014 msd box been giving me a cam sensor fault. So I tried 2 used cam sensors (that came out of running engines) also a brand new cam sensor. After all of that I still am getting a cam sensor fault code. So I ended up going through all of the wiring they installed in the premade harnesses. All the wiring connections and harnesses are correct. (I was hoping to find something that wasn't right that was triggering a cam sensor code but everything was right). I keep getting a cam sensor fault code and the car breaks up and isn't running correctly.
I changed all the coil packs and plugs and plug wires and still same thing.
I also traced down all my coil pack wiring to make sure it was correct and it was. So I honestly have no clue what to try next. Any suggestions?
The following users liked this post:
Kyle Garner (09-17-2020)
Old 05-28-2017, 12:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The cam sensors for the 24x and 58x reluctors are wired differently. I think the outer two wires are swapped. The pins are labeled right on the sensor.

Other than double checking that I'm not sure what else there is to do. If possible try the I assume new box on a different motor and see if that is the issue.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:08 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am pretty sure it's wires correctly the 12volt wire is in pin C and the sensor wire is in pin A and the sensor ground is in pin B. I currently don't have any other motor I can test this ignition on. I also don't have a extra msd box I could throw into my car and try.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:05 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have 24x rear cam sensor, 58x front mount cam sensor. Sounds dumb, but the box should have come with 2 harnesses, one for each? "The car breaks up and isn't running correctly." This I think points more in the direction of wiring than cam sensor since the cam sensor is not needed while the engine is running. If I'm correct it's only used for startup.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:46 PM
9 Second Club

cam sensor I thought was only to help start, shouldn't effect how it runs. I did as mentioned above, swapped pins
Old 09-17-2020, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bignbadbelair
Hey guys I have been trying to chase down a cam sensor fault issue. My 6014 msd box been giving me a cam sensor fault. So I tried 2 used cam sensors (that came out of running engines) also a brand new cam sensor. After all of that I still am getting a cam sensor fault code. So I ended up going through all of the wiring they installed in the premade harnesses. All the wiring connections and harnesses are correct. (I was hoping to find something that wasn't right that was triggering a cam sensor code but everything was right). I keep getting a cam sensor fault code and the car breaks up and isn't running correctly.
I changed all the coil packs and plugs and plug wires and still same thing.
I also traced down all my coil pack wiring to make sure it was correct and it was. So I honestly have no clue what to try next. Any suggestions?

did you ever figure this problem out I’m having similar issues keeps throwing cam sensor issue motor starts and runs fine until WOT and then it brakes up back fires seems like it looses a cylinder or two but As soon as I flip the ignition switch. Off then back on it runs fine. Unless I put another load on the motor
Old 09-17-2020, 10:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,025 Likes on 2,356 Posts

OP hasn't been here in almost 3 years.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Garner
did you ever figure this problem out I’m having similar issues keeps throwing cam sensor issue motor starts and runs fine until WOT and then it brakes up back fires seems like it looses a cylinder or two but As soon as I flip the ignition switch. Off then back on it runs fine. Unless I put another load on the motor
I tried to pm you but couldn't, for some reason, because this is an old tread. It sounds like you have both coil harness switched from side to side. Happens quite often if your not aware. The plug with the purple wire goes to #1 and lays out accordingly and the plug with the red wire in it goes to #2 and lays out accordingly. This is the harnesses that plug directly into the coils.

Quick Reply: Please help! Msd 6014 cam sensor fault