Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

No spark! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update for Friday night. I got home from work, and was going to start testing every possible wire with a multimeter. I had my son get in the cab to turn the key when needed. I told him to bump it a couple times at first to see if it did anything. It rolled over a couple times, then chugged like it was firing but didn't have enough fuel. I was excited about that because then I knew I was getting fire. I had him keep trying to start it while I worked the throttle.

It did a lot of spitting, sputtering, coughing and backfiring like a distributor out of time. The coil harness is visibly labeled which side the coils should be, so I knew that wasn't an issue, but I did temporarily think about switching the sides to see if it made a difference. After several minutes of this, it finally fired and stayed running!!!!

My son was excited and asked me if I was. I told him I was more relieved than excited. LOL

I made sure to shut it off and restart it several times to make sure it was all good. My carb is a newer 750 HP and should have backfire blowout protection, but I'll check the power valve later.

It was idling pretty high and wouldn't tune out, which I thought was odd. While it was not running, my son is eyeballing stuff and asks what the two holes were under the carb. A tad confused by the question, I looked to see what he was talking about and noticed one of the backfires blew off the vacuum port caps. I went to get new ones and told him to look for the others. When he did find one, he said we won't be able to use it. It blew the end apart. LOL

Now, what I don't understand, is why the engine wouldn't just fire right off when the timing is "set" by the computer and loaded into the ignition box. Does it need several cycles to read the input from the cam and crank sensors?

Also, even though it's running, the software still tells me there's a cam sensor fault.

Thanks to everyone that helped me by answering questions and giving advice.

Quick Reply: No spark! Help!