Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Carbed LS3 cam question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 01:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Carbed LS3 cam question

I just bought an LS3 long block and have torn it down to find it in good shape. A valve job, new gaskets and a change in camshafts will about do it as far as internal mods. I have the carb intake that GM uses on the LS3 533HP crate engine. I have a stock LS7 cam that is slightly larger than the LS3 cam and I planned to run it. But now I'm thinking about putting in a better cam, but not too wild. I don't want to have to worry about notching the pistons, or breaking valve springs so no very high lifts. I would like to use a cam that will work with my retainers, keepers and pushrods, only changing out springs. The LS3 is going in my 65 Cutlass with a T400 that is reverse valve body and a brake. I have a race 8 inch convertor but I will realistically drive the car 95% of the time to and from car shows and cruise runs. So I will run a street convertor and 3.70s. I planned on using the Hooker swap manifolds (and did on my ls 57 Chevy swap) but after looking at the engine masters dyno of a 6 liter LS with Holley manifolds vs mid lengths vs full length headers have convinced me to run Hooker full length LS headers (more than 50 lbsft down low). Any input is appreciated.
Jarhead
Old 02-26-2018, 10:09 AM
FormerVendor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default PML Intake/Wegner

Hi Marine, I worked with PML when we made the GMPP LS intakes.
The MAIN reason was that I was the ONLY manufacturer that supplied the LS ignition, MY IGN-8.
Carl Wegner machined the castings in Markesan.

Gary runs their bench dyno providing reports to me of HP/Torque using the early LS-7 Camshaft/GMPP intake.
I like that camshaft though know little about your needs.

I will state, Gary's report, an "easy" 40 HP increase with a camshaft change over the OEM LS-7.

This change in camshaft works best with PSI 1511ML Springs.

Would you like to use my IGN-8 and that Wegner developed camshaft ?

Lance
Old 02-26-2018, 06:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Lance for the information. I am still undecided about changing out the cam. To have to buy a new cam and springs and only pick up 40HP doesn't sound that great to me. As far as your ignition I already have an MSD 6014. The LS7 cam should have a nice, smooth idle and should easily make 450HP which is a lot more than any GM muscle car of the 60s ever had. Certainly more than any Olds.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:18 AM
FormerVendor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default 65 Fog Cutter

HI, I too agree AND your engine choice will result in a car 200 .lbs lighter, time to cut the front springs !
I did a 59 Olds, four head light, ECU fit for a customer, drove this car, found it to be very fast, very clean look AND it won 1st Place in the first car show entered.

Fit LONG tube headers with "X" pipe, I also agree with your "50 ft.lb" tech.

Lance