Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Walbro GSL392 Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walbro GSL392 Fuel Pump

Wanting to see if anyone is using the Walbro GSL392 255 lph in-line pump on their carbed setup. Currently running a Holley Black with a dead head regulator and I’m having pressure creep. Wanting to switch to a better setup for bracket and index racing. Currently running 6.90’s in the 1/8th with a 6.0 LQ4 in a 96 S-10. What’s yalls thoughts?
Old 05-12-2019, 08:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts

I'm running an Aeromotive SS pump deadheaded without issues...little pricey new, but got used off a buddy's 9.teen BBC car when he upgraded
Old 05-14-2019, 05:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure about that exact model but a number of people have used similar fuel pumps with good success. Just need a good regulator. If you have pressure creep than using the dead head in combination with a return style regulator will undoubtedly fix your problem.

Your holley pump has an adjustable bypass valve. Try cranking back on that. Get the output pressure at the pump down around 10 psi.

Pressure creep is most likely a regulator issue. If you are having problems with the holley than switching to the aeromotive unit will almost certainly make that problem worse. I switched from a Mallory 140 gph pump to the aeromotive SS pump and whole shiite does that thing pump some fuel. I run a return style regulator and the aeromotive pump flat overwhelms the 3/8 inch return line. I was getting 9 psi at the carb with the guts of the regulator removed. High quality pump but it moves fuel faster than a gas station fill pump. The aeromotive pump has an internal bypass as well but they illegally claim it will violate the warranty if you adjust it.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm currently running this https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/parts/19-369 in tank pump on my carbed 4th gen. Granted I'm a 427 SBC not LS but fuel requirements are the same. Had -6 feed and return and with the Mallory regulator all the way open would sit at 8-9 psi. Ran -8 return to a bulkhead fitting in the tank and can easily set the fuel pressure to what ever I want. Now about the longevity...I literally got the car running last Monday the 13th, put 15 miles on it around town then drove it 165 miles to OC for crusin' the coast ran flawlessly the entire time up and the couple laps around I did. Broke down on the way back and now the pump doesn't seem to want to run, I built my own hot wire so it's get a good power supply from the battery in the trunk. Going to investigate further this week, if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm open to hear them.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Had a similar issue when I first started up my swap. Ran for a period of time than the pump stalled and left me stranded. Turned out to be debris from the fuel tank scored the pump rotor. Dropped and cleaned the tank, rebuilt the pump, added better prefilter..

Hope your problem is something minor.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Had a similar issue when I first started up my swap. Ran for a period of time than the pump stalled and left me stranded. Turned out to be debris from the fuel tank scored the pump rotor. Dropped and cleaned the tank, rebuilt the pump, added better prefilter..

Hope your problem is something minor.
I'll look into it. I think I may have a wiring issue at the in tank wiring so I'm waiting on some supplies to hopefully take care of that but I will most definitely look into debris in the tank.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Holley regulator s

Here's my experience with the old school Holly regulator. Have three I tested at one time, two would creep on me. I changed diaphragm s, took the check-***** out, couldn't pin point a problem. The third one was steady as a rock. I believe it is a problem with the seat for the check ball being less than perfect. Leaking pressure across the seat. So if you find a good one hang on to it. Just be sure and test them before you use them.