Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Carbureted and cammed 5.3 stumbling and dieseling

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbureted and cammed 5.3 stumbling and dieseling

Newbie here looking for some help from someone with more experience. I have a 5.3 swapped into a 85 k10 with an sm465 and its a real dog from a dead stop and dieseling when i shut it off. Motor is a 100k mile lm7 with a comp 220/224 535 lift cam, edelbrock dual plane, proform 650, msd 6014 on "truck ho". What steps should i take next?
Old 09-01-2019, 09:12 PM

Let me add that i have 18hg at idle and it runs great if i hammer on it but if i dont give it a bunch of gas letting the clutch out it stalls
Old 09-03-2019, 04:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You haven't said what steps you took to tune the carb.

Dieseling can be caused by a bunch of things, but in your case I would concentrate on carb running too rich at idle and idle timing.

Lots of carb tuning guides out there. Best approach is to go through all steps in order.

Do yourself a favor and invest in a wideband O2 gauge. One that logs AFR and engine RPM is very helpful for getting an accurate tune without taking your eyes off the road.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Regcabfever
Let me add that i have 18hg at idle and it runs great if i hammer on it but if i dont give it a bunch of gas letting the clutch out it stalls
first thing you need to do is hook up a laptop and rescale that timing map. its setup for like 2.5 bar and you gain better resolution from a rescale in comparison to a P01 or P59 the timing maps are small already even when rescaled

Quick Reply: Carbureted and cammed 5.3 stumbling and dieseling