Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Oil pressure gauge on a 99 SS

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 06:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure gauge on a 99 SS

MY gauge seems to flicker a little. Not a lot but it does a little bit. Also it idles around twenty and never seems to go much past about maybe 50 when im in it. IS this the start of something going or is it just how these motors are? It's stock with a tune and 122k
Old 03-12-2009, 11:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's just fluxuating a little when it flickers it could be something as simple as an old alternator, kinda like some of them do with the flickering headlights...it can also be as crazy as the oil pump is getting worn out. I would defintely check out the most likely oil pressure sensor before jumping to conclusions though. Spray your right hand down with WD-40 from knuckles to mid forearm and shove that thing between the top of the air intake and the pertruding metal flange (upper fire wall) that your wipers and stuff mount to. The oil pressure sensor is off to the right (driver's side) behind the manifold about 2" past the end of it. It mounts vertically in the back of the block and has one wire going into it and that ***** loves to back out and cause a loose connection. So check the connector, try to push the wire down into it tighter, and make sure the sensor itself doesn't wiggle or seem loose. You should also check the voltage from it at the pcm wiring harness connector, search on here for the "oil pressure sensor pcm pinout designation". Check the signal voltage, I think it should be 5V or something...If all that checks out good, check the pump and assume the worst. Don't stress too bad though, my Z is setting at 112K with regular maintenance, decent mods, and it still runs like brand new. The same ground for the oil sensor is shared with all kinds of stuff like the map sensor, maf, and more. Your sensor could just be old and ready to be swapped, be ready to pull the intake manifold though, you'll never get it while the manifold is in. If you've never done it don't stress that either, pm for details, but with some standard tools and patience you can do it successfully.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure gauge on a 99 SS