Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Taillight question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 05:04 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Taillight question

Hey guys I was wondering if the 93-96 tailights were interchangable with a 97-02.
Any input is appreciated.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The harness is different and the bulbs aren't the same. While you have the traditional plug and twist type bulbs, the '98-02s use a flat plug in. It's flat on the connecting end like a memory card, if that makes sense.

I know how to make the older taillight housings work with a new harness, but not visa versa. What are you trying to do exactly? I have a harness off of my '98 if you need one. Hell, I got the light housings too.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RaggedRides
The harness is different and the bulbs aren't the same. While you have the traditional plug and twist type bulbs, the '98-02s use a flat plug in. It's flat on the connecting end like a memory card, if that makes sense.

I know how to make the older taillight housings work with a new harness, but not visa versa. What are you trying to do exactly? I have a harness off of my '98 if you need one. Hell, I got the light housings too.
Ok I was just wondering if it was a direct swap.....they changed the taillight style in 97not 98
Old 03-30-2009, 10:02 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 4THGENCAMAROFAN
Ok I was just wondering if it was a direct swap.....they changed the taillight style in 97not 98
I'm aware, killa. Fat fingered it. If you have the harness, it's plug and play.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Launching!

I'm aware, killa. Fat fingered it. If you have the harness, it's plug and play.
So the conversion can be done without cutting splicing etc.....just disconnecting and reconnecting???
Taking 97-up tailights and putting them on a 95.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:27 PM
12 Second Club

If you have the 97+ harness, yes. If not, you might have to work with it a little to make the bulbs fit in there right.

If you pull the carpet back in the hatch and look in there, it's really easy to see how it comes apart. You've got two twist on, plastic wingnuts for each taillight, and four nuts holding on the tail panel itself. One on each end, under the taillight, and one on each side between the lights.

You've got a plug in on the driver side, back behind the wheel well in the hatch.

Also, there's a ground wire that screws in next to the latch.

After removing the taillights, You take the tail panel off. Fish the harness out of there, then reverse the process. It may be tucked under the bumper in some spots, but a little finessing will get it out.

If you need pics, I got a tail panel, lights and harness laying around.

Last edited by RaggedRides; 03-30-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:04 PM
Launching!

Post em up.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:06 PM
Launching!

If you have the 97+ harness, yes. If not, you might have to work with it a little to make the bulbs fit in there right.

If you pull the carpet back in the hatch and look in there, it's really easy to see how it comes apart. You've got two twist on, plastic wingnuts for each taillight, and four nuts holding on the tail panel itself. One on each end, under the taillight, and one on each side between the lights.

You've got a plug in on the driver side, back behind the wheel well in the hatch.

Also, there's a ground wire that screws in next to the latch.

After removing the taillights, You take the tail panel off. Fish the harness out of there, then reverse the process. It may be tucked under the bumper in some spots, but a little finessing will get it out.

If you need pics, I got a tail panel, lights and harness laying around.
Not sure what your referring to as the tail panel.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put 93-96 lights in my car but didn't use the harness. So mine don't light up all the way across. No biggie.