Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

2002 SS, 357rwhp ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 SS, 357rwhp ?

I bought myself a 2002 SS in December and have more questions than I thought I would. I had an 87 camaro with a 5.0 in it previously so this was so much nicer of a vehicle and 3 times as powerful. Here's what I know:

it's a 2002 SS (has factory codes)
6 speed manual
Pacesetter LT Headers
Magnaflow Cats
Magnaflow Muffler
Dyno before i bought it was 357hp and 345 torque at the wheel which puts it at 410 or so at the motor?

The dealer didn't know much, he was a mustang guy but I figured out it must have 4.10 gears as gas mileage is too low to be stock gears and first is pretty much worthless. (2000 RPM at 70mph in 6th also)

The engine has red valve covers and I haven't seen this in any camaro other than from some pictures of the Ultra-Z. It also has the same intake as the Ultra-Z. It doesn't sound like someone put a different cam in but do these power numbers make sense for basically a different exhaust?

i would love to go to the track and race it but don't have time. Dealer said they took it out when they got it and it beat the 2005 Corvette they had. With those power numbers and gearing with a good driver what 1/4 mile times would I be looking at? low 12s?

Sorry to sound too much like a newbie, but in 1st or 2nd gear, and even some in third...if I get on the gas quick (or even not so quick in 1st gear) i hear this sound that is almost like a vibration from the backend and it's loud, not too dis-similar from a loose exhaust pipe but it's not a metalic sound. Am I just losing grip with the road and hearing a vibration of the rearend bouncing rather than a squeel because the the type of tires and road surface? Cooper Cobra ZHP tires

Anyways I'm most curious about why the engine has red valve covers when every other stock SS or Z28 i've seen has grey...and then what a good estimate would be on a quarter time. If those power numbers sound right for a new exhaust or if there was something done to the motor as well? Just trying to figure some things out.

Used car and dealer got at an auction so they didn't know much.

thanks!
John
PS the car is a BLAST to drive
Old 04-21-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone painted the valve covers red and the hp is about what it should be for the stuff done to it and 1/4 times high 12's on street tires and mid to low 12's on street legal slicks.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People powder coat tha valve covers for looks. I want to do it myself, but have not had time.

My SS has 4.10's and runs 2100 rpm @ 80mph in 6th.

Power is right on for an 02 car with headers back exhaust.

Your #'s are way low if there's an aftermarket cam in the car.
Your car would have come stock with an ls6 intake (01 & 02 cars)

Post in your local forum, you may be able to find out who owned the car before you did.

Dave

Quick Reply: 2002 SS, 357rwhp ?