Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Internally Lit Door Panel Switches

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 03:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Internally Lit Door Panel Switches

Gimme some help here!

Anyone know of any later model 4th Gen (Camaro or Bird) that used internally lit power window, lock and mirror switches. Anyone know of a retrofit from another GM vehicle. My '96 Burb switches are all internally lit and look like they might somehow interchange.

Anybody have a source or any info for a brighter "plug & play" bulb for where the concealed lights are in the door panels that are "supposed" to light these switches? Don't tell me LED's, I have that source, but research indicates the bulbs are actually not as bright (need to do some more research here).

Many thanks!!!!

Last edited by MyOtherRide'sAVette; 12-16-2009 at 05:47 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

LEDs have always been brighter in my experience. As for retrofits, can't help, but an interesting question that I have thought about as well.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

i spent some time trying to make some that were a direct replacement. i didnt like the outcome so i scrapped the project. I ended up putting in LEDs, but i didnt use a kit, i set it all up myself. its plenty bright for me.

if you want modern style switches you can use them from almost any car, but you will have to do a lot of custom work. I didnt do that because they would look out of place with our 80s technology interiors.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:31 AM

Thumbs up Thanks!

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
LEDs have always been brighter in my experience. As for retrofits, can't help, but an interesting question that I have thought about as well.
Have some work to do on my Burb doors, all of a sudden 3 of my lock actuators are acting up. while I've got the door panels off I'm going to look at the switches. They are internally lit and appear about the right size. I'll keep you posted.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:42 AM

Thumbs up LED direct fit bulb source

Originally Posted by fast01z28
i spent some time trying to make some that were a direct replacement. i didnt like the outcome so i scrapped the project. I ended up putting in LEDs, but i didnt use a kit, i set it all up myself. its plenty bright for me.

if you want modern style switches you can use them from almost any car, but you will have to do a lot of custom work. I didnt do that because they would look out of place with our 80s technology interiors.
Here's a source I found for direct fit bulbs for dash, consoles, gauges, dome lites, etc. but they advise they are NOT as bright and by design can not be. I dunno, guess the only real way to know is to try them out.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...FQJinAodn0dGJA

And I can't totally buy the '80's tech, because my '96 Burb has internally lit OEM door switches and the dash switches in the z28 are internally lit. Think it was just a $$ issue in the Camaro. I'm wondering if the later Gen 4 Firebird switches might have been internally lit because the trim level in the Birds was so much higher than the camaro, but no one has given me a definitive answer.

Quick Reply: Internally Lit Door Panel Switches