Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

LS2/T56 going into an 89 camaro need some help

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 11:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2/T56 going into an 89 camaro need some help

Ok well I've had my camaro for almost 3 years now and i decided its time to switch some things up, like the whole drivetrain. I just joined the army and managed to fall into a bit of money so the ls2 was my first choice

What i need to know is just some basics on the swap, like exhaust option, wiring etc. Ill be getting the full LS2/T56/ECM/ wiring all in one package, purchasing a modified K-member from spohn, and crossmember for the t56 as well. So i have some thing figured out but a few im perplexed on..

1. Wiring. How would i go about re plugging my interior harness to match up with the LS2's? My only concerns are keeping my radio and interior lights functioning. Also am I gonna have to setup 4 o2 sensors?

2. Gauges. my cluster is gonna be swapped out for a 3 gauge setup, autometer tach, gas, and speedo. What would be the best way to make the autometer gauges interface with my new motor/tranny setup? ive got my oil pressure, voltmeter, and engine temp bolted up above my radio pod, the temp is a capilary tube setup and it just replaced the temp sensor but im not sure if i can get away with that on the LS considering its OB2, the oil ive got tapped into the block in back but i gotta find a good spot on the LS to hook it in w/o screwin anything up

3. Exhaust. I JUST finished my headers/ 3 inch exhaust before i enlisted, obviously the edelbrock airtubes are gonna have to go, i need to know what style headers people used to make this work, worst case scenario i can fab up a set but i really dont want to, the ideal situation would be to find a set of LS2 headers i can just slap on and mate up to my y-pipe, not sure if its possible but its worth a shot, heres my current setup; http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-68752/
not the exact opne but basic concept of it. Any ideas here?

Thanks in advance, i was lookin on TGO but most people that have done an LS swap have moved over here
Old 01-01-2010, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome, I'll take a stab at it.

1. The thirdgen cars have two separate harnesses in them. My 83 was originally a Cross-Fire Injected car, I just removed the harness from the ECM (under the pass side of the dash) that goes through the pass fender and to all the sensors. All of your interior stuff will still work without the factory ECM and harness. If the car is a TPI you might be able to sell the harness for a bit if you dont hack it up. I am not 100% sure but I think you need at least 2 o2's (maybe just one), the rear ones can certainly be tuned out.

2. This might be better answered by Autometer, I have emailed them in the past and told them my set-up and they are very helpful and have emailed me schematics on how to make everything work. The LS engines oil sending unit goes in pretty much the same place as you have now.

3. Header options are small, with either having to do a custom set yourself or the one or two expensive options that are out there.

Quick Reply: LS2/T56 going into an 89 camaro need some help