Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Need help, LOW TRACTION light.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help, LOW TRACTION light.

Hey guys, I drive a 2000 camaro 3.8 auto with factory installed 3.42 posi rear and traction control system.

The only thing I have really changed on the vehicle is I recently installe true c5 z06 wheels and tires.

The issue i'm having is this morning on the way to work I was making a left turn onto a road and gave it quite a bit of throttle to help from being stuck at the stop sign and half way through the turn the power just went away, kind of like the traction control was coming on or low fuel in the tank. I have half a tank and immediatly looked down and didn't see the low trac light come on. There is no way my 236k mile car is going to spin a 295 tire on a 18" rim in the dry so i didn't figure that I had any spin, plus the car didn't step sideways. Anyways appr. 10 minutes later I made a right turn onto the street to my work. I coasted into the turn and gave it NO throttle, the low traction light came on and would not allow me to accelerate, i had to cost 150 yards into work, as soon as i pulled into my office parking lot the light went off and i was able to rev the motor fine *i was parked and didn't want to chance going around the block*.

This is the 3rd time in 2 months where this car has had a glitch with the ODO hitting 666 and being fine with 667 but this one kind of has me worried. .

Should I look into purchasing a SLP traction box so that my system is always off, like i said i have HUGE tires in the rear now so i'm not worried about wet weather driving.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting... maybe a bad sensor at one of the wheels?
Old 03-02-2010, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE:

Well i've been turning off the ASR manually and forgot the one night *received a phone call* and it had happened again, turned off the ASR and everything went to normal.

I'm beginning to wonder if it has to do with the rear-end. I know it's ready for a fluid change just waiting for a weekend where the weather is fine and I don't have plans during the day. But i'm wondering if the diff is sensing slip because of the worn fluid and is causing it. I will update later.

If this sounds like it is plausible please let me know, if it's not the issue let me know so that this issue can be resolved.

Thanks.