Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

'02 SS Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 SS Camaro

Looking at buying an '02 SS Camaro with 85k on the dial. Blue with T-tops and tan leather interior, 6 speed manual.

I am looking for any and all information on these cars. I have done a little bit of research, but is there anything that I should specifically check when I go look at it? What's the difference between the SS and Z28 packages? Any issues with the clutch/tranny? Does it hold up? Any gotchas'?

I am pretty ignorant when it comes to these late model cars. My current car is a '72 Nova, and .. well, let's just say it's not a very friendly daily driver.

Thanks.

Last edited by mrdreex; 04-17-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

first off, check inside the driver door for the RPO code sticker.....the SS package code is WU8 i believe......also, the sticker that has the cold tire pressure should say 275/40/17......if it says 245/50/16, it's a Z-28.....if it is an SS, call SLP Engineering and give them the last 8 digits of the vin #.....they will be able to tell you the build # and all of the extras they installed.....if you know older style small blocks and big blocks, you'll be amazed how these LS motors perform....good luck
Old 04-17-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mrdreex
Looking at buying an '02 SS Camaro with 85k on the dial. Blue with T-tops and tan leather interior, 6 speed manual.

I am looking for any and all information on these cars. I have done a little bit of research, but is there anything that I should specifically check when I go look at it? What's the difference between the SS and Z28 packages? Any issues with the clutch/tranny? Does it hold up? Any gotchas'?

I am pretty ignorant when it comes to these late model cars. My current car is a '72 Nova, and .. well, let's just say it's not a very friendly daily driver.

Thanks.
Navy Blue Metallic (NBM) is one of the nicest, most pure colors you can get on a fourth gen.

The SS is differentiated from the Z28 model in that the former was sent to SLP for a composite high-rise spoiler and a composite ram-air hood along with a few other small touches. Additionally, all SS models "qualified" for additional SLP content, such as: upgraded exhaust (explained below), Auburn High-torque differential, chrome wheels, SLP grille, car cover, key fobs, etc etc. There were roughly eleven SLP options in total, give or take a few, and the extent of the SLP options on the car would be included on a sticker located on the passengers side door jamb. That said, many SS Camaros were just that: a base SS with no additional SLP content. Thus, the sticker that I just discussed in brief would be absent.

A few more differences in the Z28/SS models: the Z28 was rated at 315HP for 2002, whereas the base SS model (without SLP power enhancers) was rated at 325HP. Many believe that there are little or no differences in the power between a stock Z28 and a stock SS. Also, the gearing was slightly different in the models All 6-speed models have 3.42. All SS Auto models have 3.23. The Z28 A4 models have 2.73 or 3.23 (the latter being optional, extra cost).

The exhaust packages available from SLP on the SS model and their subsequent bump in horsepower ratings is outlined below:

335HP Dual-Dual Exhaust
335HP CME Exhaust
345HP Dual-Dual Exhaust w/ Blackwing Air Lid
345HP CME Exhaust w/ Blackwing Air Lid

The Blackwing Air Lid was ONLY available in 2002, and therefore the 345HP package was also only available in this last year of production as well. CME stands for "Center Mount Exhaust," and you'll recognize it immediately if the car has it. The "Dual-Dual" system has four exhaust tips, two on each side. The stock Camaro SS exhaust is basically just two smaller sized chrome exhaust tips on each side. If you give us a picture we can probably determine your setup from looking at the exterior, assuming it's mostly stock.

One more thing pertaining to the model variations: as mentioned above, you'll want to confirm it is a true SS model by looking at the Regular Production Option (RPO) sticker on the drivers side door jamb, specifically noting the presence of: WU8 (SS model). Y2Y is often interpreted to mean additional SLP content was put on the car, yet its inclusion is very inconsistent with regards to this.

The T56 transmission in these cars is very tough and is used in both the Corvette and the Viper; this is not to say that each car will not have its own individual problems. Sometimes, my M6 grinds when going into reverse. One great option included from the factory on some cars is the Hurst Short Throw Shifter; the shift **** will have an "H" imprinted into the top indicating so. The clutch, you may want to test at the time of purchase since the vehicle is approaching the gray area for clutch replacement - that is, unless its already been done. Carfax is a given.

While test driving the vehicle, listen closely to the rear. What you do not want to hear is a "whine" coming from the rear differential, which indicates abuse, most likely. Also, if you've never replaced a window motor before, get prepped. It happens to all of us with the fourth gens. It's 100% normal if the windows appear to move up or down slowly.

Other than that, these vehicles are great. A little rough around the edges, but that's how we like our rides . You wont find interior refinement or a smooth and luxurious vehicle that drives like an angel, but who in the hell wants that . Let us know if you have anymore questions.

Last edited by The Bronx Bull; 04-18-2010 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:53 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome, thanks. Will definitely be checking out for the RPO on the door. Here's some pictures of the car in question:

I gotta say. The blue is probably my favorite color out of all the 4th gens. colors. Guy is asking $10k for it. I think it's a decent price, but what would you price it at?

What type of rear is in them? Posi? Thanks all. I've been wanting one of these babies for a while now and think I may have a chance at one now.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ i meant to say all of that....good info Bronx Bull
Old 04-18-2010, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the rearend is basically crap.....instead of putting 12 bolts in, GM decided that the 10 bolt was the way to go.....basically an S-10 rearend in a sports car.....manual cars have a 3:42 gear, but alot of M6 folks upgrade to 4:10....i haven't done mine yet, but they say it really opens these cars up performance wise.....if you just do a little spirited driving on the street every now and then, you'll be ok......but if you want to take it to the track very often, a 9 inch, 12 bolt, or dana 60 would be the best bet....the pics look good, i'd say its a keeper.....10 grand might be a little pricey compared to what they list on kelly blue book, but you'll pay for a clean one....i wish i had gotten blue, but i still love mine
Old 04-18-2010, 12:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by The Bronx Bull
Also, the gearing was slightly different in the models - the 3.42's were optional on the Z28 and stock on the SS model (for the 6-speeds, that is).
I was always told 3.42 was standard for ALL 6 speeds while Auto's game with 2.73's or the optional 3.23's.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mrdreex
Awesome, thanks. Will definitely be checking out for the RPO on the door. Here's some pictures of the car in question:

I gotta say. The blue is probably my favorite color out of all the 4th gens. colors. Guy is asking $10k for it. I think it's a decent price, but what would you price it at?

What type of rear is in them? Posi? Thanks all. I've been wanting one of these babies for a while now and think I may have a chance at one now.
Couple of quick things:

Edit: *You have the ZR-1 optioned wheels on the car.

Also, just to make you an "informed buyer," there's an aftermarket SLP lid on there, put on by the owner, paired with the stock exhaust. The only visible SLP content is the grille - which also could have been purchased after the fact - but with some extras, you cannot tell by looking at the exterior of the vehicle.

And yes, all V8 models have posi - or Limited Slip Differential (LSD) as they call it. They're similar.

If you can get it for 9K and everything checks out, I'd pull the trigger and say you're getting a great deal. Others may chime in with an opposing point of view, stating that they can get cars like so for half the price where they live - I've never found this to be the case.

Is the exhaust crooked on the left side?

Last edited by The Bronx Bull; 04-18-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by oChristiano
I was always told 3.42 was standard for ALL 6 speeds while Auto's game with 2.73's or the optional 3.23's.
You're correct!

From '02 catalog:

Performance Axle Ratio: Optional on Z28*, Standard on SS
*Standard with 6-speed manual transmission; optional with automatic transmission.

All M6 models have 3.42
All SS A4 models have 3.23
The Z28 A4 models have 2.73 or 3.23 (the latter being optional, extra cost)
Old 04-18-2010, 12:22 AM
Staging Lane

Couple of quick things:

It appears as though the wheels have been swapped (not 100% sure on this, I'll put that on the record), but I'm fairly certain that these were the stock wheels on all base Camaro SS models in 2002:

Also, just to make you an "informed buyer," there's an aftermarket SLP lid on there, put on by the owner, paired with the stock exhaust. The only visible SLP content is the grille - which also could have been purchased after the fact - but with some extras, you cannot tell by looking at the exterior of the vehicle.

And yes, all V8 models have posi - or Limited Slip Differential (LSD) as they call it. They're similar.

If you can get it for 9K and everything checks out, I'd pull the trigger and say you're getting a great deal. Others may chime in with an opposing point of view, stating that they can get cars like so for half the price where they live - I've never found this to be the case.

Is the exhaust crooked on the left side?
Thanks. Here's a picture from behind:

Are you saying that the only factory installed SLP item is the grille and the hood was purchased separately? Thanks again.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

No - the only visible, additional SLP content is the SS grille on the front - it's covered up by the license plate mount though. Check the passenger's side sticker and you may find additional goodies such as upgraded suspension, differential, car cover, etc. The SS spoiler and hood come on all SS models and are thus not considered additional.

The exhaust *looks to be stock* but at the same time is definitely crooked on the left side! Check that out.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:47 AM
Staging Lane

No - the only visible, additional SLP content is the SS grille on the front - it's covered up by the license plate mount though. Check the passenger's side sticker and you may find additional goodies such as upgraded suspension, differential, car cover, etc. The SS spoiler and hood come on all SS models and are thus not considered additional.

The exhaust *looks to be stock* but at the same time is definitely crooked on the left side! Check that out.
Thanks for clearing that up. I couldn't tell if it was just a bad camera angle on first look, but will definitely look at that.

How can I tell what is extra? Is there an RPO code list somewhere?

Thanks again.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, if you have the VIN # of the vehicle, enter it here:

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php

The site should give you a list of all GM RPO codes and options that the car has; this, however, does not include additional SLP content (as discussed) since these are not considered "factory."
Old 04-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, if you have the VIN # of the vehicle, enter it here:

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php

The site should give you a list of all GM RPO codes and options that the car has; this, however, does not include additional SLP content (as discussed) since these are not considered "factory."
Cool. Thanks. Looks like WU8 was listed on this page, and also noticed the option for the 275 tires. Looks like it's a real SS. Thanks for the help. Will be checking the power windows, rear, and exhaust when I go to look at it in addition to all the normal stuff. Thanks again!
Old 04-18-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Those are ZR1 wheels and were on option for the SS.. They are correct wheels for the car..
Old 04-28-2010, 12:09 AM
Launching!

Great looking car bro! If you can get the price to 8.5 or 9k snag it and keep it clean! NBM is one of my favorite colors on these cars as well!

Vince
Old 05-07-2010, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

10k is a good price for a 02 ss with 85k miles

dealer recently sold a 01 white with those wheels for I think 10k but it had 98k miles

I might be concerned with the clutch if its origional, its a wear item and not super cheap or fun to have replaced
Old 07-23-2010, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

Holy ****.

Didn't end up buying it the first time, and what a loss it was. I felt like crap.

It just repopped up on CL. I haven't said anything to the guy yet who is selling it, but he's asking for $12k, I offered $11k and he said he'd think about it. Brand new clutch components, slave cylinder/master clutch cylinder, brand new LS7 Z06 clutch, new cam, longtube headers.

Guy said he has had it for 3 months...it has to be the same exact one I was looking at. I am definitely not going to miss this opportunity again.

Am I dreaming here? Holy $&!^!
Old 07-27-2010, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

Ended up buying it. I love it.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Talking Congrats!

Good to see it came through.

I waited too long to act on buy my camaro first and let it go, was sold and few months later back for sale again.

You mighta gotten lucky, the last owner probably did the clutch work and resold it, basically took care of the wear/tear item.

Quick Reply: '02 SS Camaro