Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

'88 IROC-Z fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 06:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '88 IROC-Z fuel pump

Hey all, I have the 88z on jack stands as I type. I know I need to replace the fuel pump but I dont know exactly how to go about doing it. The pump is in the tank and I have no other way of raising the car up any higher.

So what would be the best way to drop the tank? The car sits only about a foot off the ground so it aint going to be easy. I have been told by some other people that I might be able to get to it through the hatch under the carpet, but I dont think they really knew what they was talking about.

Any sugestions would be greatly appriciated as will sirections on how to do this properly.

Here is some info on the car.
5.7L TUNED PORT INJECTION
57K original miles
4 speed 700r4 w/od

Thanx
Old 08-18-2010, 08:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You can get to it from the hatch but you are going to have to cut your floor to get to the pump.

To get to it with dropping the tank you are going to have to drop the rear end out of the car to get to it, so the jack stands will have to go under the body and support it there. Then the exhaust will have to be moved out of the way and you should be able to take it from there to remove the tank.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:32 PM
Launching!

Crap, Thats what I didnt wanna here. Im not about to cut the floor, though it sounds tempting. I also failed to mention that I have a custom exhaust on this car too. TRUE dual all the way w/o cats and silverbullet mufflers. Will I have to cut the pipes? There ran like the factory, just two of them instead of one.

Man just thinking about it makes my head hurt.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Veteran

If it goes over the rear, then yes it will have to be removed.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:07 PM
Launching!

That really sucks, not only do I have to replace the pump, now I have to replace my entire exhaust. She will just have to sit a while so I can save up. Damn $100 pump gonna cost $400 to $500, not good.

Thanks for the advice. Any suggestions on a high quality, long lasting pump? I was thinking Bosch because of there warrenty.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Just unbolt the exhaust from the headers or manifolds and remove the whole exhaust system. You will have the rear out so it won't be in your way. A pump I have used in the past is the Granitelli pump. It has worked fine for whatever I was using it for. You could also check out New Era Performance, one of the sponsors here. They have 255l Walbro pumps for 99 bucks and Mightymouse has 3 of them in his tank and he has 1200 hp. Here is the link.

http://neweraperformanceparts.com/de...KV=walcamaro|0

Quick Reply: '88 IROC-Z fuel pump