Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

95 Z28 LT1 starts but won't stay running...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool 95 Z28 LT1 starts but won't stay running...

I just bought this car. Started it up for a moment before I bought it using starter fluid. The fuel pump wasn't working. I replaced the fuel pump. If I pour some gas into the plenum the car will run for around a minute. it will start for a few seconds almost always.

Yesterday I kept pouring in gas and starting it and it actually stayed running. I was able to drive it around, put probably 20 miles on it. When I got back I let it sit for a little, it started back up.

Got up this morning... same thing as yesterday... pour gas in and it will run for a minute... I can hear the fuel pump running when I turn the key on so I know it's not that. When driving yesterday it ran fine so I doubt it's the fuel filter. I've got a 94 service manual but there are too many differences to really use it and have ordered a 95 manual.

Another odd thing is after it was running yesterday, after about 10 minutes the oil pressure pegged and stayed that way until this morning.

I'm thinking it might be the oil pressure switch if it's wired like the older TPI units where it cuts the fuel pump if it doesn't see sufficient pressure but I don't see that in my 94 wiring diagram.

I also can't seem to find any oil pressure switch, just the oil pressure sending unit, the older TPI's had both.

any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in Advance,

Robert
Old 09-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

you may have some trash in the fuel line
Old 09-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

I had similar problems with my 94. Check the vitals first. Fuel pressure on the rail while its running. Spark at the coil and plugs. My guess is its the ICM (autozone tests them for free) or optispark.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Teching In

I am such an idiot... I had loosened the clamp that holds the hose to the pump to get the loop more realaxed and forgot to tighten it back up... so yeah I could hear the pump run... but 0 on the pressure gauge... all better now, thank you!

Quick Reply: 95 Z28 LT1 starts but won't stay running...