Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

1998 camaro m6 ls1 runs bad

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 camaro m6 ls1 runs bad

OK so I bought my car 8 months ago needed the trans rebuilt. After I did that the brakes locked up replaced that and I was so excited that I can finally drive my car. And now while I'm driving and accelerating slowly it backfires and pops and shakes horribly. The trans mount is brand new and when I'm in 6th gear the shifter is moving all over the place and the car feels like its going to shake apart I've also replaced the u-joints. Can any one help me fix this I wanna drive it really bad but have run out of potential ideas. All help is appreciated Thanks James
Old 10-16-2010, 12:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did the car run before you bought it? You might wanna look into the timing chain. It may have slipped. And if it did then replace it with gears... They are noisy but they never slip. And an out of time car will definitely rattle. Or you could have a shotty tune, I can tell you tis for sure tho, a car never backfires unless Its timing is goofed. Since our cars no longer run distributors it's either your timing chain or your computer. As far as the shifter is concerened. Trannys are not my department. But I would check the linkage or the yolk may be worn
Old 10-18-2010, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Thanks The guy I bought it from said it had no problems at all I scanned it and found the I had a misfire in 7 and 3 I replaced one coil doin the other this week
Old 11-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Staging Lane

plugs and wires first...then id look into timing/tuning. Does it idle alright? or does it go crazy all the time

Quick Reply: 1998 camaro m6 ls1 runs bad