Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Steering Shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 07:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Shaft?

I recently installed long tube headers on my 93 Z28 and I've found the steering shaft rubs on the primary tubes. I can feel the vibration in the wheel when I turn, it's rubbing on the U-joint. Before anyone asks, I replaced both motor mounts with new poly mounts when I did the headers.

I've seen posts about converting from an LT1 style steering shaft to one of of an LS car, but it seems like that was done to eliminate the rag joint, not provide more clearance.

Both Jegs and Summit sell all kinds of steering shaft parts where it seems like one could be made fairly easily. It is really as simple as two U-joints and a shaft? Are the ends on the steering column and steering box the double D design?
Old 02-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Launching!

Hi,
depending on the rub amount a small amount of clearance can be made with a body dolly and hammer. Your headers should have cleared without incident if properly sized???? Do you have any lateral movement on steering shaft?
You could also use a small spacer on the motor mount..wishing you the best....
Have a blessed day........jim
Old 02-07-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Depending on the brand of headers some clear everything fine and some of the cheaper ones take a little hammering to clear the steering
Old 02-08-2011, 07:12 AM
On The Tree

They are Pace Setters so not super expensive compared to most. They can be clearanced with a few smacks from a hammer I'm sure but that means pulling them off the head, I've tried while they were in place and you just can't get any leverage on them.

Quick Reply: Steering Shaft?