Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

What Makes an Ultra Z?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Makes an Ultra Z?

I recently found a 02 Camaro that was advertised as an Ultra Z. According to the description, the guy said it had the rare Ultra Z package that was a real package offered by SLP. It also had a SLP mod sticker in the door jam like on the SS. I researched a little and found that it is suposed to be some do it yourself thing, and not production deal. Does that mean that you can just buy the hood and spoiler and stickers and have an Ultra Z? What kind of car was I looking at then? What is an Ultra Z?
Old 02-22-2011, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

The Ultra Z was a real package offered by SLP
If i remember right the entire car is modded by SLP
Old 02-24-2011, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm almost 100% positive there are other modifications, but I know at the very least they came with a single scoop ram air hood(called the Ultra Z hood) and functional ram air from that. I'm not sure what other changes were made though if any. Probably just minor suspension modifications and maybe an axleback exhaust.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ultra Z was a collection of components from SLP that could make a car LOOK like a special edition, but Ultra Z really wasn't a special edition in most (if not all) cases. The hood was the main item, and there was also an air intake that mounted on top of the radiator. There was a spoiler that was similar to the Camaro/Z28 spoiler but with a little funny thing on the top. The thing that made the cars look like special editions was the stickers/decals, which I've seen on many cars without any Ultra Z components. Everything was simply a component you could purchased and add onto the car yourself.

There was never a limited run of them made by SLP as far as I know. I think they planned to do some that had 530 hp stroked LS1s, but I don't know if they actually produced any. I know they had one 2002 show car that was red. I think metallic red. For the '93-'97 body style, I know it was just components.

That said, if you wanted to claim your car as a special edition (even though you'd technically be fibbing), in my opinion, you would have to have the hood, air intake, and spoiler. The spoilers were rare, so that isn't very easy to do. You mostly just see a lot of hoods, very few air intakes, and next to zero spoilers. There may have been other components, but they weren't specifically branded as Ultra Z that I recall.

You could even put the airbox and everything else on a V6 Camaro if you wanted to.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:57 PM
12 Second Club

He is right.I had a friend who made his car an ultra Z.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Teching In

I appreciate the replys. Talked with a representative from SLP and was told that the Ultra was only something that could be created in aftermarket. The only thing that threw me off was the sticker in the door jam. The only thing I can come up with is that the car was originally an SS and then was modified to an Ultra Z. It was advertised in the classifieds here a few weeks back, here is the link https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...ooollldd-2.htm Any opinions?
Old 02-28-2011, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Acutally, here it is http://https://ls1tech.com/forums/ve...oollldd-2.html
Old 03-01-2011, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here's a working link. https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...oollldd-2.html

I only looked briefly, but it has a '96-'97 SS spoiler, ultra Z hood, non-ultra Z air intake, and what was possibly called the Ultra Z center mount quad exhaust and valance.

The car doesn't have the WU8 RPO code, so it's not an SS. I don't know where they got the brushed aluminum looking sticker, but I've never seen an SLP sticker that looked like that before. That isn't SLP's typical font or sticker type.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Appreciate the info. I'm going to try and get in touch with the original owner. I want to figure out what the deal is with this car because if there is some kind of special car modified by SLP driving around in my town I would like to have it. I cant figure out why that sticker should be there, and I dont think someone would go through the time and effort to fake something like that. The original owner posted a video on youtube a while back, so I'm going to message him and maybe I can get some information. I was going to buy the car a few months back, and if you read the forum for the ad, I was the guy the owner metioned with the 85000 mile 2500 truck that was really clean, and the 71 Z28. As I was about to make him an offer on the car he sold it. I would like to find out if this car is something special, or if it is just some sticker someone put on the car. Any opinions?
Old 03-01-2011, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, here's my 2 cents.

The spoiler definitely isn't an Ultra Z one, and to my knowledge, there was only one SLP Ultra Z edition car, and it was SLP's prototype. The car was originally pewter, and later repainted some color of red. I bumped a topic from 2009 in the Midwest section or something the other day about that car being put up for sale. I only have really limited, small, crappy photos of it. And unfortunately every shot is of the front of the car.

Here is a shot of the Ultra Z spoiler. It isn't particularly attractive, but if you're going to try to claim an Ultra Z as a special edition, you can't do without it in my opinion.

SLP stickers are supposed to be white labels with some wacky black and pink watermark in the corner. That brushed aluminum looking one is definitely something aftermarket (possibly even from SLP) but isn't original to the car. It'd be interesting to find out who added that and why. All I can say is the parts appear to all be SLP parts, but I haven't seen a sticker like that used before to my knowledge.

Nice car overall, just not a special edition of any sort. Just one modified with high quality parts.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:23 PM
Teching In

Appreicate the info. I sent the original owner a message on Youtube. I dont really know if I will get a response. I also saw another Camaro on there that had the exact same exterior modifications, grille, wheels, spoiler, hood, etc, execpt not the exhaust. I just cant help but think that the car must have been modified at SLP in order for the sticker to be on there. All of the modifications were from SLP when the orginial owner had it. Later somone changed the engine to a 427. In the video the car had an SLP Peformance Pack on the original 350. Im going to try and find more info on the car.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as i know the Ultra-z only hood
Old 06-30-2011, 04:00 AM

There were only 2 real ultra z camaros made. A silver one and teal green one. My family knows the guy who made them. We own the teal one.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you have proof of that, let's see it.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Brangeta
If you have proof of that, let's see it.
+1

If you have 1 of 2 made seems like you would have more than 3 posts on tech
Old 07-01-2011, 01:02 AM
Teching In

Here's one: Ultra Z
Old 07-01-2011, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ls2SilverBullet
+1

If you have 1 of 2 made seems like you would have more than 3 posts on tech
I agree. You can't say something like that without posting pictures. It should be a rule.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HOSS Boss
Here's one: Ultra Z
Not real.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cobaltss2006
There were only 2 real ultra z camaros made. A silver one and teal green one. My family knows the guy who made them. We own the teal one.
Okay there is a fact in this. There were only two real SLP Ultra Z's produced I've done extensive research on the matter and there were two a LT1 Teal Camaro and a LS1 Pewter Camaro

The 2002 Pewter Camaro has been extensively modified by Brian Reese, SLPs Director of engineering packing a 427 550rwhp motor and can take down the 1/4 in 10.37 @ 130mph
Old 04-11-2018, 03:13 PM

Default Ultra z I have the other one with the 427 650 hp

Originally Posted by DemonicZ
Okay there is a fact in this. There were only two real SLP Ultra Z's produced I've done extensive research on the matter and there were two a LT1 Teal Camaro and a LS1 Pewter Camaro

The 2002 Pewter Camaro has been extensively modified by Brian Reese, SLPs Director of engineering packing a 427 550rwhp motor and can take down the 1/4 in 10.37 @ 130mph

Quick Reply: What Makes an Ultra Z?