Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Stealth Bomber

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 11:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Man its been awhile since i updated the build...

So I am working on another version of the "mud flaps" I scrapped the first one and started over. I will post some updated pics for opinions in a week or so.

I also did a rear diff service, fuel filter and a PCV valve over the weekend. Next up is an oil change and trans service.

I had failed my last emissions test and spent some time tracking down the cause(s) with help from this awesome forum. I have narrowed it down to my MAF and possibly the TPS, I also think my aftermarket cat is dead (from running so rich) and probably the plugs/O2's as well. I picked up some new plugs/wires, already installed the wires, just waiting to pull the y-pipe and starter so I can install the plugs.

I am going to get the Magnaflow replacement Y-pipe and cat, MAF, TPS, O2's, etc when I get my tax return (hopefully tomorrow) and I sent my ECU to Solomon (LT1 Tuning) this morning... I cant wait to get the car back on the road.

I hope to also order some rear lower control arms from Founders (love their stuff/pricing) to finish up my rear suspension mods (for now).

I spent some time cleaning up my MAF ends so that they look a little better since I had everything apart anyway. I ground all the casting marks smooth and sanded the interior surfaces a little smoother, I still have to sand blast them one more time and clean them up well. Here are some pics.

Last edited by 95blackm6; 02-05-2013 at 08:14 AM. Reason: text
Old 02-06-2013, 09:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok I picked up my MAF, TPS, ATF and a few other things last night. I also ordered my Magnaflow y-pipe and cat, along with the gaskets, should be in next wek sometime.

My Founder's LCA''s will be in Friday, hoping to get a lot done this weekend, Im taking Friday off to work on the car as well.

Also I am looking for a good pair of leather front seats (Camaro or Firebird) in black/charcoal/dark grey if anyone has some for sale or trade. I have the grey/charcoal cloth seats in the car right now, they are in good shape, I just want leather. I already bought the rear Camaro seats, so I need to match the color of them as close as possible.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alrigt, as promised, here are the pics of the mud flaps (Version 2.0)..... Let me know your opinions, they're definitely better than the first version, but im still not sure Im in love with them.

Here's the new MAF reinstalled.

Also installed my Founder's Adjustable LCA's and an AEM dry flow cone filter in place of the K&N (no pics of that though)

Last edited by 95blackm6; 02-13-2013 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Text
Old 02-13-2013, 08:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

I picked up my Magnaflow Y-pipe and cat lastnight, Im very impressed, its a nice piece. Stainless stel, mandrel bends, band style clamps, a nice merge into the cat... Im hoping to install it this weekend, Ill post some pics of it soon. I also picked up new O2's (Denso, no Bosch!), a new knock sensor and a 3/8" torque wrench (I only had a 1/2") for the knock sensor. I didnt even think about replacing it until Solomon said something, so Im glad thats getting handled while I have the y-pipe out. Im also hoping to install my urethane engine mounts while everything is out of the way.

My ECU should be here tomorrow as well, Im very excited to see how she runs with the tune!

I will update again after teh weekend.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice work man, keep it up!

Chad
Old 02-13-2013, 09:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you, Im trying!
Old 02-18-2013, 08:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Made some pogress this weekend, got my ECU put back in (easy), pulled the stock y-pipe/cat, swapped the plugs, knock sensor and O2 sensors. Then I installed the Magnaflow y-pipe/cat after removing one broken stud (that was fun) and finding some bolts for the cat flange. Changed out the oil/filter and fired her up. Everything seems ok so far, I noticed my throttle body coolant line leaking so I had to fix that (of course it was dripping onto the Opti) and check all the fluids.

Yesterday she got a much needed bath and I started the clay bar, buff, wax procedure.

Anyway here are some pics of the progress.

Y-pipe

All washed up

Not sure why the mud flap sticks out so bad in this pic, they really arent that noticable.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Alright, here are some more updates. I purchased some blacked out marker/park lenses for the car, I installed the rear ones to see if I like them clear/black or if I want to smoke them. Let me know what you think...

I also decided to take the plunge and upgrade the headlights to the 88-98' C/K truck lamps. I debated deeply about this mod as I didnt really want to "cut up" the car, but I feel that the mods are easy enough to reverse and my car already has an aftermarket bumper cover, header panel and such anyway.

Here are the pics...

These are the smoked headlights I got off of E-Bay.

This is what I started with...

Drivers side done.

Both done.

Lit up!

Let me know what you guys think, I havent driven the car to fine tune the aim and gauge the light output, but Im happy so far. Also, these are just the cheap bulbs that came with the lights, so there is room to improve there as well.

Last edited by 95blackm6; 04-08-2013 at 10:12 AM. Reason: text
Old 04-08-2013, 10:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Finally got my car on the road for Spring, all the new parts installed, tune done and feeling good about myself... then I went to emissions and failed again... ugh!! My car barely passed on NOx, and was twice the limit on HC's, now what? Well I asked for some advice and was told to check for vapor leaks and a few other things, so I decided to do the trap door mod to check all my lines at the tank. I plan on going to a hot wired Walboro 255 soon anyway, so it made sense to do.

Here are the pics, I also layed down some sound deadener since everything was apart anyway.

I had some good, thick aluminum laying around, so I used that for the cover plate. I also used some foam weatherstrip to seal it up.

Test fit:

Holes drilled:

Weatherstrip:

Somehow I didnt get a pic of the final install, but I also put some sound deadener on the plate itself also.

Now I think I am going to have to get another PCM with the stock programming to pass emissions, anyone have one I can borrow or buy? I need a 94/95' M6 PCM.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Update time, I bought a used 94' PCM from 97Z28SS (great guy to deal with) and hope to get motivated when I receive it. I still need to comb over all the evap lines to check for leaks and test the evap system to be sure its working correctly. Then Ill hit the emissions place again and pray she passes, Ill probably blow a gasket if it doesnt this time... wish me luck.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I failed worse than ever on teh stock PCM, Hydrocarbons were through the roof.... Im so over this damn thing, filed for an emissions waiver and have a meeting with the inspector tomorrow... hopefully this is the end (for two more years at least)
Old 12-09-2013, 09:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well I havent updated here in a long time... I was able to get my waiver, the cause of me failing seems to have been a combination of the RH O2 sensor slow to respond (even though it was brand new), the vac line to the EGR valve was somehow not attached and the line betweent the fuel tank and the purge valve (between the tank and the vapor/charcoal canister) was crammed full of charcoal from the previous canister failing... I resolved all these issues and moved on.

Recently I been bored with the car, over taking care of black paint and generally just wanted to move on... I had been trying to decide what to replace it with and settled on trading my buddy for his car. (in case I want this one back!! LOL)

So this build ends here, the vehicle I got is not an F-Body, but I will be back someday!

Thanks All!
Old 12-19-2013, 05:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What did you end up with?
Old 12-19-2013, 05:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

A 1993 Eagle Talon TSI, mint interior, 83,xxx original miles, 8/10 exterior, stock engine (damaged), Built (forged)/Cammed/0 miles engine, near new turbo, many mods/spare parts/etc. I have been around this car for 10+ years and have done most of the work on it...

I needed a change and wanted something w/F.I. that wouldnt break the bank. It should be fun, worst case the Blue Book values are pretty comparable and I am confident I could sell/trade it if desired.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice!

Quick Reply: Stealth Bomber