Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Picked up my new 01' Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 08:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Time for another update. I was able to finally do some work on the car this past weekend. I got the rear Aerospace brakes switched out with the refurbished OEM brake set-up I bought from another forum member on here. When I took the axles out to change the backing plates I noticed that the rearend gears were in really good condition, so it kind of confused me about the popping issue I was having when taking off. Well, once I got the wheels/brakes back together and took it for a drive I realized there was no more popping! I guess it had to do with the Aerospace brakes not being shimmed correctly, and it had the pads/rotors in a bind. It makes perfect sense because this also explains why the pads were dragging so badly on the back. When I looked at the pads I took off the car I noticed that they had very uneven wear on them. So, long story short, I killed two birds with one stone with the brake change. I feel much better now knowing that I have a parking brake on my car.

I was also able to replace the exhaust manifold gasket where I had the exhaust leak. Now the only problem I have with the exhaust is there is a loud rattling that is coming from the front of the car. I can even hear it over my exhaust, which is REALLY loud. I thought it may be the heat shield covering the CMC line beside the driver side header, so I went in and tightened up those screws. That didn't fix the problem. If I hold the exhaust pipes steady right behind the driver side header when the car is running then the rattling stops, so I know it has something to do with the header/exhaust. However, I can't see it touching anything anywhere that would make a rattling noise. Anyone else ever have any problem like this? It rattles all the time, stopped or driving. Any ideas what it might be?

I still need to change out the motor/tranny mounts, but I am absolutely dreading that job haha. The tranny mount is really easy I know, but the motor mounts look terrible. Any help on that rattling issue would be appreciated!! Thanks
Old 11-09-2012, 01:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got under the car aain last night to try to find out where the rattling was coming from. It ended up being the v-band clamp that connected the collectors to the exhaust pipe. When I tightened it back down tight there is no more rattling. One more thing down, just a couple more things to go to have the car where it needs to be. I have to get another exhaust run, get my windshield wipers put back on, and the rear seat belts back in, and it should be good to go for a while.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well I have decided to list the car up for sale. I cant post on the classifieds on here yet, or I would put it there. Here is a link to my Craigslist ad though.

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/cto/3483380624.html

All this car needs is for the windshield wipers to be hooked back up and it will be good to go. I have driven it without them since I've had it though, and it hasn't been a problem. I just keep rain-x on it when I wash it. Let me know if you're interested.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Launching!

^That seems like such a nice car and it seems like you've made a lot of progress with it!

What are you looking at replacing it with?
Old 12-29-2012, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Probably just another LS car of some kind. I love these cars, but I kind of like the idea of wheeling and dealing. I like to drive different things and work on them a little while I have them. I've found a couple more f-bodies close to Huntsville that I am interested in if this one sells. Eventually I would like to end up in a C5 Z06.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very nice car. How do you like that cam? I've got the same one.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

I love the cam, but it really needs some gears to go along with it.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Agree. I'm saving for S60 rear with 4.10s. Perfect for this cam with 6 speed.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

That was my original plan too, and then I decided to build a Ford 8.8 rearend for it. The S60 would be stronger, but I'm still in college and need to save as much money as possible. The 8.8 build would be enough for me for quite a while, but now I've decided to sell so I've put the 8.8 build on hold too.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:37 AM
Staging Lane

Very nice car man, also nice mods. Funny about the cop. And love the wheels also have the same ones on my new Z
Old 12-31-2012, 09:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

I appreciate all the compliments guys. BTW, do you guys think my asking price is fair for this car? I tried to compare it to similar cars that I've seen on here and Craigslist.

Last edited by 97_ek; 12-04-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

So I was looking around on Craigslist the other night, and I found this Camaro for sale again!! I'm doing my best to buy it back because I've missed it ever since I sold it. Also, it now has a few more goodies including new S60 with 4.10s, new Centerforce clutch and slave cylinder, rebuilt trans, new BMR rear suspension, new full catback, new Alpine speakers, new front upholstery, and the windshield wipers are back on haha. Basically everything has been done to the car that I needed to do, and I can get it back with less than 3k more miles than when I sold it. Will update if I can get it back. It's looking good for going to pick it up next week
Old 12-09-2013, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

And it's back. This time with a new S60 with 4.10s, new exhaust, rebuilt trans, new Alpine speakers, and new BMR rear suspension. Glad I don't have to worry about it spitting out rearends anymore

Old 12-13-2013, 08:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Had a local tuner come by the house last night to recalibrate my speedometer for the 4.11s last night on the car as well as some light tune adjustments with my idle. No more surging once the clutch is pressed in when coming to a stop. I can't be happier with the way the car runs now with the 4.11s vs the 3.42s with this cam. SOOO much more grunt down low.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

Your car looks sick. Only way I think you could make the car look better is a set of black Fikse FM5s and paint the Berger panel black.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by slaterdump
Your car looks sick. Only way I think you could make the car look better is a set of black Fikse FM5s and paint the Berger panel black.
I agree 100% on the Fikse FM5, but it's tough to come off $3000 for them. Maybe one day. First I need to get some more shocks and springs to finish off the suspension. I'm also considering trying to get rid of this tunnel mount torque arm for a full length TA since I drive this car quite a bit on the streets. This torque arm hits really hard when you get on it, but the crossover hangs just a little too low for my liking on a street car. Maybe once I finish the suspension stuff I will try to find me a nice set of Fikse wheels. I have also been eyeballing the Billet Specialties Street Lites in 17s. I really like the look of those and they are much cheaper.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I ordered a new UMI full length torque arm today with their relocation crossmember. The BMR tunnel mount torque arm that is on the car currently is now for sale. I want the better handling that will come with the full length TA, and the tunnel mount crossmember hangs just a little too low for my liking with the roads around my house and the car being lowered. Let me know if anyone would like this BMR TA and crossmember. I'm wanting $300. The guy that bought it said it is chromoly. I'll check it asap to be sure. And a pic for fun.

EDIT: The BMR TA is not chromoly.

Last edited by 97_ek; 01-02-2014 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

car looks great and you are lucky only to buy it back with mods you wanted to do.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks man, the new torque arm comes in on Monday, so I will be updating with reviews of it after I get it on.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Got a chance to clean the Camaro up a little today and go out for a little cruise with my buddy in his C6Z. We gave it our best shot at making some decent photos with our phones and got a couple of go pro videos while we were down in Mexico. I was pleased with how the car held its own with the Vette. Once I hit 4th though he just takes off. The gearing in those cars is pretty close to perfect it seems like. I'm not really sure why he stayed in it so long in the second video. I let out long before we got to those cars because he was pulling away pretty hard at that point. I made it a point to tell him to stop before we got to cars in the second run.

Quick Reply: Picked up my new 01' Camaro SS