Old 07-04-2015, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

Still following and its looking great
Old 07-07-2015, 10:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know someone is still following haha. I haven't been nearly as good at keeping it up to date lately because I wasn't sure if anyone even still looked at it. Had half a mind to start a new thread when I started the turbo build
Old 07-08-2015, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

It runs! Fans didn't cut on and both fuses were blown, so I either have a short somewhere or the startup amperage of these fans is more than 30A. Also still have to bleed the brakes some more and figure out how to get the steering linkage from rubbing on the wires\brake lines. Overall though, this startup was very non-eventful. Fired right up after turning over twice.
[img][/img]
Old 07-13-2015, 06:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I drove the car all day today to see if any issues popped up. No hard pulls or anything, but it ran good all day....until about 530. Popped a big fuel leak in the back on top of the fuel tank. We smelled it, stopped, and it was running down all over the place.

I'm going to pull the back interior panels out tomorrow to see what came loose. I'm assuming it's the 8AN hose end. The Summit hose doesn't seem to fit quite as tight as the fuel rail lines I got from Holley. If it is that AN fitting, I'm going to order some name brand 8AN line to run to the front of the car. It could have been a really bad day if one of the front fittings came loose by the manifolds...
Old 07-22-2015, 06:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

I fixed my fuel lines Wednesday, got exhaust connected to the back Thursday, and got my alignment yesterday. Did a little bit of tuning last night and was able to see a little bit of boost. It raised to 8 lbs and held just fine (no boost controller yet). Made about 8 WOT pulls to do some adjusting. Had to add some fuel to it from about 4000 on, but we have it close now where it is safe to beat on it some until we can go in and smooth everything out and fine tune it. I'll try to add a boost controller next week to go ahead and start turning it up some.

So far we're at 12* of timing basically as soon as it's sees positive pressure and we have it just set there all the way to redline. No knock retard at 8 lbs. Motor is definitely a little dogish until it gets to 3500 or so though. This motor has really low compression with the 243 heads, in the high 8s, so it makes sense why it's a dog. May need to take .030 off the heads in the future to bump it up some.

One question, we couldn't get the scanner to show anything over 105 kpa for the map sensor. We tried messing with the settings some to get it to work, but no luck. I'm running an efisource 3 bar map. Any ideas?
Old 07-22-2015, 06:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Little update.

We figured out the MAP sensor issue yesterday, got the BOV working (needed a lighter spring), and did some more tuning on the car. We found that the car was dropping timing at around 4500 due to burst knock so we disabled that and got rid of that. We eventually ended up raising the timing from 12* to 14* starting at around 3200 all the way to right before redline. It woke the car up A LOT even on 8 lbs. We're still not logging any knock retard, so I think we're still in good shape. You can actually go in and raise the timing up a tad more after you reach peak torque to help carry the power a little bit toward the end of the powerband right? We just have it set safe right now.

Instead of upping the timing more on 8 lbs, I'm going to install the boost controller today so we can go back in and turn it up some tomorrow. I'm thinking we should be able to do 12-13 lbs on 93 without any issues, but going any higher than that may be pushing it without meth. I don't think this turbo is quite in it's efficiency range yet, so turning it up some should gain me quite a bit. IATs are looking great, they actually drop during a pull to around 95*.

The last pull we made yesterday was a 3rd gear pull (which we had to cut short at 6000 rpms due to an oncoming car, redline is 6800) and once it got into boost it went 55 to 85 in 2.4 seconds according to the log. Seat of the pants feels like it should be pretty close to what I was making before with my 6.0 already, but who knows. I'm going to the track this weekend to get some pulls in to see what its mph is. ET will be crap due to regular street Nitto 555s, but it should still be fun

Sorry for the book.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

love these updates , get this beast tuned and running.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
love these updates , get this beast tuned and running.
Workin on it. I'm enjoying the learning process of tuning the car. This is my first car to tune myself (with the help of a friend who has done it once before). I can't wait until tomorrow to see what a little more boost feels like
Old 07-23-2015, 04:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

I tuned on the car some more tonight. When we got up to about 13-14 lbs the car started cutting out once we hit full boost. I'm thinking it's blowing the spark out. I didn't regap the plugs when I put them in, and I think they come at .035. They are br7ef plugs. I'm going to take them down to .028 tomorrow and try it again. The car is ridiculous up around 12-14 lbs though. It is a lot to hold on to in 3rd. Boost is fun!
Old 07-23-2015, 11:31 AM
Teching In

Nice car man. You like the TSP cam and what color red is that?
Old 07-23-2015, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98strokedz28
Nice car man. You like the TSP cam and what color red is that?
I did like the TSP cam back when I was running it. It pulled hard and sounded mean. Definitely better with 4.10 gears. The red is just normal bright rally red that came on these cars
Old 07-24-2015, 06:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

I pulled the plugs yesterday to check the gap and all the plugs were already at .028. I lowered them down to about .026. I also noticed that a couple of them weren't very tight, like not even snugged up, so that could be where my issue was coming from. I tightened everything back down, and made a pull at 11 lbs. It didn't seem to misfire like it was, so I'm assuming it fixed it.

We are going to start tuning some more today on it, and if the rain holds off I'm probably going to take it to Steele tonight to get an idea of where I'm at.

One thing I did get reminded of yesterday was a bad driveline vibration once I reach about 90-95 mph. It has been there ever since I bought the car back (and since the rearend and chromoly driveshaft were put in). I'm almost positive it is the driveshaft. According to some threads on ls1tech, several people have had this issue with the Strange chromoly driveshafts, and the ones that talked to Strange about it said that Strange had issues with these driveshafts on the t56 trans. The slip yoke apparently has a little bit of play between the splines when it slides on the output shaft of the trans. Usually they swap out the yoke for a different style and it fixes the problem. I am going to call Strange today to see what I can get done.

I also adjusted my suspension a little bit yesterday for ride comfort. I made the settings a tad stiffer than the sheet suggested and it is a big improvement over what I had before. I have the fronts set to 6c, 10r and the rears set to 5c, 7r.

Hopefully have some good updates tomorrow
Old 07-24-2015, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

Good looking car. Is that the STS rear mount turbo kit?
Old 07-24-2015, 01:42 PM
Staging Lane

Just flipped through all the pages. saw what kit it was great job on everything so far
Old 08-19-2015, 06:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've been fighting some gremlins with this one here lately, but I think I have them sorted out for the most part.

To start with, I had a battery terminal bolt that stripped out that I had to replace. Then right atfer that, my left rear brake line rubbed against my exhaust manifold and rubbed a hole in it. Got that fixed, and then my car started pouring oil smoke out of the exhaust. I assumed it was due to the small slope on the drain line with the Huron Speed kits coupled with the fact that I was running no restrictor with the ball bearing turbo. I added a .060 restrictor to it, no change. I figured the seals may have gone bad, but before I pulled the turbo I wanted to try one more restrictor. I threw a .030 restrictor in it yesterday and it seemed to clear up the smoking. If there is any, its not even enough where I can see it coming out. I think it may be fixed, so I may be able to finally get back to tuning the car.

Also, before I installed the .030 restrictor I took a weekend trip to Gatlinburg, and I left the car at home. When I got home, I returned to this in my passenger floorboard.

[img][/img]

Ended up being the big grommet where the harness runs through the firewall. I didn't set it right after I ran my fuel pump hotwire kit through there. Stupid mistake...May end up having to replace the carpet in the car due to the smell. I have it propped up and drying now, but I think its ruined due to sitting all weekend before I found it. If the smell won't go away once dry, I'll have to pull the carpet and replace it The good news is, the car needed an interior detail badly since the build got done. The shop floor was super dusty/dirty and a lot of that got on my carpet during the build process. At least now it'll have fresh clean carpet one way or another.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by B_Mack15
Just flipped through all the pages. saw what kit it was great job on everything so far
Sorry I missed this. Thanks man
Old 09-01-2015, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got it running again yesterday, and took a 3rd gear pull video. I need some tires soon. Ready to be able to do a full pull through 1st and 2nd

http://s1264.photobucket.com/user/da...bqeby.mp4.html
Old 09-02-2015, 10:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 97_ek
I got it running again yesterday, and took a 3rd gear pull video. I need some tires soon. Ready to be able to do a full pull through 1st and 2nd

http://s1264.photobucket.com/user/da...bqeby.mp4.html
Holy cow! Now that's a pull! Very nice 👍
Old 09-07-2015, 01:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Little update here. I have been trying to track down a popping noise under my car(one that has been there since I first bought my car back with the new rearend and driveshaft). I took the car to a local shop the other day to finish aligning everything suspension-wise and I was going to get them to check my pinion angle for me since I installed the adjustable torque arm. When I went to pick it up, they informed me that my driveshaft was too long. Made sense because I noticed when I pulled the driveshaft for the turbo build I noticed that I could barely get it to slide forward far enough to slide it out of the rearend yoke. I had no knowledge on correct driveshaft length, so I didnt think much about it. I measured it today, and it only has 1/4" of travel before the slip yoke bottoms out in the trans, so I think this is where my popping has been coming from. I will be sending my driveshaft to Birmingham Spring tomorrow to get it shortened 5/8" since I read that the slip yoke needs to have between 3/4" and 1" of travel when bolted to the rearend yoke. I'll update when I get it put back in. This has been an annoying problem, so I'll be pumped if this fixes it. Hopefully it hasn't damaged anything in the trans from bottoming out...
Old 09-10-2015, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Got the driveshaft put back in today after getting it shortened and balanced at Birmingham Spring. Bad news is, my popping is still there. Good news is, my high speed vibration is gone Smile One less thing. Going to take it back to the exhaust shop and get the to cut the exhaust off it to see if that is causing it. I didn't notice the popping before I got the downpipe connected to my over-axle pipe that was already in the car. I'm thinking maybe a flex in the mid pipe somewhere may help me. All the hotside and full exhaust is solid with no flex, and the hangars have very little rubber on them. I just think it is in a bind somehow. I'll know as soon as I can get it to a shop.

Quick Reply: Picked up my new 01' Camaro SS