Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Driver Side Blinker Problem NEED HELP NOW!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 10:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Driver Side Blinker Problem NEED HELP NOW!

Hey guys so I have a very odd problem. I have looked through other threads and forums and such and still haven't found a resolution to my dilemma. Here's the deal. On my 2000 Camaro I have the Driver Side front blinker light not working. Now here is what I have done to attempt to remedy the situation: Replaced both flasher relays (4 ways and signals), changed every single light bulb from front to back (all peanut bulbs, night time running lights, day time running lights, reverse lights, EVERYTHING) and I made sure that I used the right bulb number for each socket. Now the way I know it's not the bulb configuration is that the right side (passenger side) works flawlessly with the bulb setup I have now and it is identical on the driver side so please don't post stuff like "BULB BRO" or " BULBS FOR SURE" or "BULB x3". IT IS NOT THE BULBS. I also replaced the actual socket for the bulb in the front with not one, not two, not three but four different connectors. I highly doubt it's the connector. Which leaves the wiring (or does it?) to be the issue. I figured that the blue colour wire is the flasher power, the brown wire is running lights and the black is obviously ground. I put an ohm reader to check if the blue wire was getting power while the flasher is on but it doesn't seem to read anything. Anyways... what is there left for me to do? Someone have any input please? I really need you guys right now.

NOTE*: Even though the bulb doesn't flash it still DOES turn on with the running lights/ night time lights.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:02 AM
TECH Regular

Anyone? Seems like you all know more about nitrous setups than blinkers.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:24 PM
TECH Regular

Come on!
Old 01-09-2013, 12:02 PM
Launching!

Might have a column harness problem would be my guess. Seems to be typical in cases like this. Sorry dude, it's a PITA job.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:13 AM
TECH Regular

care to elaborate how i would go about fixing that problem then?
Old 01-10-2013, 09:30 AM
Restricted User

Hello, from my experience the sockets are a common failure on those cars. Considering you have tried that and just about everything else. There are only a few more possibilities left. A bad column turn signal switch or possibly a pinched or broken wire could be your issue. Tracing broken or pinched wires is a royal PITA. Good Luck.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:52 AM
10 Second Club

Use a test light or voltage meter to see if there is ground and power at the socket with lights on and then again with blinker on. If there is no ground repair it. If there is no voltage then you will have to begin to trace. Get a schematic of the lighting circuit and figure out the common denominator of the issue and begin to trace. You will have to remove plastic trim to get to connectors and components such as the headlight switch and turn signal switch. Test to see if you have voltage on the appropriate pins - once again, check voltage and grounds. If your voltage and grounds are good then check the outputs - turn parking lights on and make sure the voltage is being fed out of the switch correctly. If the swtich is bad replace it, if it's good then there is a break somewhere in the harness (this is very rare, most problems are corroded sockets and bad grounds). If this is what you find then you have three options 1) replace that portion of harness 2) run a new wire and just tape it to the harness the best you can 3) Cut open harness and find break/short. Good luck.

Find the schematic, stay calm, think it through reasonably and don't forget to check all fuses and grounds.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 97camaroguy
care to elaborate how i would go about fixing that problem then?
haha, yea... remove the column, take it apart and replace the wiring harness... it's a PITA.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by maxharvard
haha, yea... remove the column, take it apart and replace the wiring harness... it's a PITA.
**** that.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:15 AM
Launching!

**** that.
Try the socket thing first, if that's not it then its your column harness.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

First I would check the socket. The biggest pain in the *** with these cars is the drl. They heat the **** out of the sockets and contacts basically melting the **** out of them. Check to see you have signal coming to the socket, if you do then there ya go, replace the socket and you are all set.

If not, you will need to trace it back to the column. Best of luck and hope its just the socket.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think its the bulb BBBBRO X 100
Old 01-11-2013, 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
I think its the bulb BBBBRO X 100
I hate you.

So i was screwing with the ground wire and the bitch starting flashing! dull, but it flashed! so I have to trace the ground wire. Does anyone know where the ground wire grounds to on the drivers side DRL/Blinker Socket?
Old 01-14-2013, 08:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I hate you.

So i was screwing with the ground wire and the bitch starting flashing! dull, but it flashed! so I have to trace the ground wire. Does anyone know where the ground wire grounds to on the drivers side DRL/Blinker Socket?
Had to man lol Good luck with it! Sounds like you're almost there.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:26 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by high impact
Use a test light or voltage meter to see if there is ground and power at the socket with lights on and then again with blinker on. If there is no ground repair it. If there is no voltage then you will have to begin to trace. Get a schematic of the lighting circuit and figure out the common denominator of the issue and begin to trace. You will have to remove plastic trim to get to connectors and components such as the headlight switch and turn signal switch. Test to see if you have voltage on the appropriate pins - once again, check voltage and grounds. If your voltage and grounds are good then check the outputs - turn parking lights on and make sure the voltage is being fed out of the switch correctly. If the swtich is bad replace it, if it's good then there is a break somewhere in the harness (this is very rare, most problems are corroded sockets and bad grounds). If this is what you find then you have three options 1) replace that portion of harness 2) run a new wire and just tape it to the harness the best you can 3) Cut open harness and find break/short. Good luck.

Find the schematic, stay calm, think it through reasonably and don't forget to check all fuses and grounds.
Thank you very much man.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:52 PM
Teching In

I hate you.

Had this problem with running light, was bad ground. I added a new ground wire but didn't fix it, found out it was the socket itself, so I stuck the new ground wire in with the bulb for ground, has worked since. One day I'll buy a new socket...
Old 08-23-2013, 06:04 AM
TECH Regular

In case any of you still need to know how I resolved this issue...
It was a bad DRL module! The one that sits behind the radio.
I changed it out and it fixed my problem

Quick Reply: Driver Side Blinker Problem NEED HELP NOW!