Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

2002 Camaro SS #7146 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow what a great job!!! So you got into the 12s with no headers??? Or did i miss somthin???
Old 03-13-2013, 03:07 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blue rocket
Wow what a great job!!! So you got into the 12s with no headers??? Or did i miss somthin???
Correct. Here's a thread I made in the racing section - https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...s-muffler.html
Old 03-13-2013, 05:02 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Thanks! I wanted to be sure and cover everything that I could so that I wouldn't leave anything to be questioned. I always hate looking up stuff to only wonder what someone did for a particular "generic" part or some other "minor" thing they did not mention during an install. Anything that deviates from how the car rolled out of the factory will be documented -- why else do you think I mention the wiper blades!?
LOL so what are your plans for it? bolt ons lightening it up etc? Id love to do the LS6 PCV conversion when i do H/C or something later on.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:24 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by adamantium
LOL so what are your plans for it? bolt ons lightening it up etc? Id love to do the LS6 PCV conversion when i do H/C or something later on.
Whatever time, life, and money allow me to do... Actually, it's whatever my wife allows

I'm in the middle of the underdrive pulley and power steering cooler install, but that will likely be it until fall/winter. My wife is due in two weeks so my time/money will be pulled towards that. I'd like to have longtubes/duals on before the end of the year, though. I've got a G5X3 but that's a way off before it gets installed.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Whatever time, life, and money allow me to do... Actually, it's whatever my wife allows

I'm in the middle of the underdrive pulley and power steering cooler install, but that will likely be it until fall/winter. My wife is due in two weeks so my time/money will be pulled towards that. I'd like to have longtubes/duals on before the end of the year, though. I've got a G5X3 but that's a way off before it gets installed.

I feel you man, lol im the same don't have the tools atm for the UDP i need a torque wrench and i don't trust the lend outs at autozone, im sure they never get re-calibrated. Get some detailed pics if you can of the UDP install!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:05 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

It's difficult to find a torque wrench to hit 240lbft. I will simply wrench on the old crank bolt until the crank snout is recessed inside the pulley the correct amount. I'll then install the new TTY bolt to the proper torque spec (I have a cheap Craftsman torque wrench that goes to like 80lbft) and then eyeball the additional 140 degrees that the instructions call for. Redneck engineering? Perhaps. I'm confident it will work, though.

With that said, I did break down and buy the Hawk balancer install tool. I tried to find allthread/bolt that was the correct pitch locally, but I had no luck (yup, even the local Fastenall didn't have anything). I've just got to get through this Labor Law midterm and then I'll be back in the garage
Old 03-13-2013, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

My torque wrench goes up to 300lbft and it's as big as a ******* baseball bat lol! Gotta step up your game demon
Old 03-13-2013, 10:09 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by 97camaroguy
My torque wrench goes up to 300lbft and it's as big as a ******* baseball bat lol! Gotta step up your game demon
And how much of an investment was that? It's not often I work on dump trucks or bulldozers to justify it
Old 03-17-2013, 05:43 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

I was finally able to finish my install of the SLP pulley, gatorback belts, and Derale power steering cooler today.

I rented a pulley-puller kit from Advance to get the stock pulley off. It wasn’t too difficult, and I learned that I will turn-down my old crank bolt so that it will fit inside the pulley so I do not have to keep readjusting the puller due to the pulley bottoming out on the crank bolt flange. This will make the process a LOT quicker.

I also broke down and bought the Hawk balancer installation tool. I was going to source the all-thread and whatnot on my own, but there was nothing available local. For me to run around out of town to piece something together it would save me only about 15 bucks – so I bought the tool from the ColoradoSpeed group purchase:

The instructions say something like 2.1mm – 4.0mm for the crank snout to be recessed, but since this is the United States, I determined that approximately 1/8” - 3/16" is perfect (forgoing the "tighten to 240ftlb" step):

As is common knowledge, the SLP pulley is a Powerbond painted black. One can see the “PB” stamp on the lip (in a little half-crescent shape):

While Gates seem to be the belly-button belt nowadays, Goodyear Gatborback were the cat’s meow long ago. I decided to go “old school” and throw a set on. I found the numbers (4040378 A/C; 4060763 serpentine) by cross-referencing the Gates numbers provided by SLP.

To be honest, I had NO intention of doing away with the stock power steering cooler. I was simply searching how to flush the system as I also installed a new ACDelco power steering pressure hose. I then came across this link (https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...g-success.html ) and figured I’d just go ahead and delete the factory cooler. I ordered an ACDelco upper radiator hose for a ’99 Z28 and slapped it on:

I went with the Derale 13200 power steering cooler kit. When I first glanced at what I planned on doing, I could have *sworn* it’d be easy to mount the cooler on radiator, but when I was attempting to do that, I quickly learned that there was no easy way to run the hoses (ie: would have required a lot of drilling and some awkward positioning). So, I resorted to the standard mount under the radiator support. I am not at all pleased with my installation of this as it was done quite hastily; that is, this is not my best work:

The kit came with a long Goodyear hose, so I used that to go from the cooler back up to the pump. I slipped the old hose loom onto the new hose; however, I needed to cut it in half to protect in the necessary areas. I was able to reuse the factory rack-to-cooler hose:

The only thing left to do is top off the coolant and do the flush and fill of the power steering system. I’ll try to fit that in during the next week or so, but my wife is due any day, so who knows
Old 03-18-2013, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Where at in Pittsburgh are you? Im in Plum. Near Monroeville and Murrysville on the east side of Pittsburgh
Old 03-18-2013, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Beautiful car and great build BTW!!!!
Old 03-18-2013, 05:57 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Thanks! I'm up in Cranberry.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:04 PM
11 Second Club

Very nice car, you rarely see guys taking care of these cars and making sure everything is done right anymore. I was actually wondering if those Spring 2012 pictures were taken in Cranberry, it looked very familiar. Do you ever go to the Wexford cruise in?
Old 03-18-2013, 11:19 PM
Banned

Awesome stuff how does it feel after the UDP install?
Old 03-19-2013, 08:47 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by 02DroptopZ
Very nice car, you rarely see guys taking care of these cars and making sure everything is done right anymore. I was actually wondering if those Spring 2012 pictures were taken in Cranberry, it looked very familiar. Do you ever go to the Wexford cruise in?
Thanks. Most of the guys who were into these "back in the day" have moved on to 5th gens or C6's, so I know I'm a rare breed sticking with them

I try to make it to the Wexford cruise a couple times each year. Not sure how much I'll make it this summer with a new baby and taking 12 credits of school over the summer semester! Where in Ohio are you?

Originally Posted by adamantium
Awesome stuff how does it feel after the UDP install?
I wish I could tell you... but I haven't moved the car yet
Old 03-19-2013, 07:11 PM
11 Second Club

I’m about 30 mins south of Youngstown, near Boardman and Columbiana. I try and make it down to the show any time I can make it there before the lot fills, especially opening night and Camaro night. I’ll keep an eye out for your car next time I’m down there.

I see you swapped an LS6 valley cover on. How has it worked for you so far? I bought a catch can, but I’m starting to seriously consider the cover swap too.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:41 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

So you're not too far at all from Cranberry then -- just a hop down the turnpike!

I can't really offer an opinion about doing just the LS6 PCV, a catch can, or both as I haven't put many miles on since I did the conversion this past September. I'll watch it, but if it is an issue I'll just go with a Norris can.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice build, i like the complete documentation
Old 03-21-2013, 08:38 PM

I have a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #2633. Has a lot of good SLP options and has a couple signatures under the hood on the passenger side strut tower. Just trying to figure out who they are. Any help would be greatly appreciated ! Was gona upload a picture of them but I can't get them to upload
Old 03-21-2013, 10:16 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

If you can post the pictures we'll definitely be able to tell you. I don't mind you posting in my thread, but I'd suggest starting a new thread so that you get more people looking to specifically "name the signatures."

I'm going to guess they're signatures of Cheryl Pilcher, Scott Settlemire, Ed Hamburger, etc.

Quick Reply: 2002 Camaro SS #7146 build thread