Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Building an '86 IROC and would like to get input and opinions!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 07:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building an '86 IROC and would like to get input and opinions!

Ok guys, I've begun the gathering stage of my build! My vision for this car is for it to be fast(obviously,lol!), comfortable, and dependable. You know, a car that is drop dead sexy that can make it coast-to-coast WITHOUT a trailer!!

Like I said I'm gathering right now and here's what I have so far,

2001 Vortec 5.3
LS1 intake and cam
ECM and harness from 2000 Silverado
F-Body LS1 oil pan
Stock LS1 F-Body Exhaust Manifolds(the newer versions)
Frame side conversion motor mounts
T56 Pedal assy. from a 2001 Camaro SS

I'm not looking to go real wild......YET! I am looking to learn all I can about this swap and how to do it right so I can enjoy this car for a long time! So, feel free to weigh in on what you think will make my car one that can spend more time crusin' and less time sittin'. Thanks in advance for all your tips and opinions!

Here's a little about the car too.

1986 IROC-Z28
Disc Brakes all around
Posi rear w\ 3.73 gears
Perimeter style weld in sub frame connectors
She was converted to a 5-speed car by the previous owner
Over all in great shape!
There are minor rust spots where the ground F/X mount to the body and in a couple other places but only surface rust!!!
Here is a pic of her as she was delivered a couple of weeks ago. The rest of her is in the garage.
Attached Thumbnails Building an '86 IROC and would like to get input and opinions!-imag0316.jpg  
Old 06-27-2013, 08:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't worry about the cam. LS1 and truck cams are the same. What are you doing for a tranny? That T5 won't last long behind the 5.3. If you have the thirdgen pedals I would keep those instead. They can easily be modified with a 3/8" pin. If you're not on thirdgen.org, you need to check out the lsx swap section there. Tons of info. Do lots of research, most of you questions have been answered.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much more aggressive of a cam are we talking? I'm looking to stay pretty close to stock for now. Tryin' to keep it on the cheap so I can finish the swap before I run out of money. Lol. Definitely have bigger plans for the future. As far as the trans I had a feeling the t5 was gonna break, so I'm hunting for a t56 full swap. I am on TGO and thanks for the input. I am, however, interested in hearing your suggestion on the cam.

BTW, I saw your third gen LSx build and well done done sir! Have it bookmarked.

Quick Reply: Building an '86 IROC and would like to get input and opinions!