Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

VATS issues. How do I jump the starter to test?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 05:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VATS issues. How do I jump the starter to test?

I'm in the middle of trying to figure out why my car won't start. I figured that it was VATS related. After doing the "bypass" it still won't start even though the security light is now off, but that's only one part of the VATS system. I think the TDM is probably bad, because I know the BCM probably isn't bad since everything in the interior functions normally. I broke down and bought the Pro bypass module to get rid of all parts of the system.. so hopefully that does something (it's not here yet).

I just want to test to see if the starter is still working to rule that out while I'm waiting for the module. After doing a few searches I read that pin 87 was the starter pin. I don't see any numbers on the fuse/relay boxes and when I just looked at the service manual online I didn't even see anything higher than pin 80.

Could someone just explain which pin to apply power to (and if I have to go straight from the battery or if I can do it all right in the box)?
Old 08-13-2013, 05:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do your homework from shbox before cutting any wires.

The TDM is located on the passenger side, up under the dash almost to where the airbag is. UNPLUG THE BATTERY BEFORE DOING ANYTHING

pm me your email and I will send you a how to that I created in .docx format with pics.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:49 AM
Teching In

A how to for what exactly? I already bought that bypass module hopefully it wasn't a waste of money lol.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Well apparently VATS was giving me issues and simultaneously the damn starter was bad too.. Which is funny because they both have the same symptoms but both were causing issues.

Anyways the bypass module works good now I just have to put the new starter in.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

good to hear
Old 08-16-2013, 04:12 PM
Teching In

So this is weird. I pop started the car last night and it ran perfectly. Parked it overnight and went to buy a starter this morning.

When I got back with the starter I went to go move my car expecting to have to pop start it, except I gave it a try and it started right up. I drove around more to let the computer relearn the idle and fuel trims and then parked it again. I started it 3 more times after that with no issues.

Is this just because the starter motor got jarred while pop starting it and had the same affect as hitting it with a hammer to loosen it? I'm not sure what to do now because I'm sitting on a starter that I can't really afford at the moment (I'm a student) but my starter magically started working again. Should I expect it to die within a few more starts anyways? What would you do?

Quick Reply: VATS issues. How do I jump the starter to test?