Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

2002 camaro ss clunking/grinding help

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 01:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 camaro ss clunking/grinding help

Hey guys, I am new to this site and this will be my first thread so I'll do my best to explain the problem. I have a 2002 Camaro SS, 6 speed with the factory slp package that I got used with 65k. When accelerating quickly from a dead stop there is a loud clunking/popping noise that seems to be coming from beneath the middle/rear of the car. It will pop/clunk anywhere from 2-6 times depending on how fast I accelerate, however once I reach about 4000 rpms or shift into second it no longer occurs. Also, when accelerating smoothly, there is no noise at all. I don't know too much, mechanically speaking, but I have someone who is interested in taking a closer look at her when I go home for winter break. Any thoughts or ideas on where to start with this would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-13-2013, 09:58 PM

Default U-Joints?

Hey, could you please reach underneath your car with it off, grab ahold of the drive shaft, and yank on it a bit? Let us know if it wobbles around a lot (Could be a bad u joint). Perhaps jack up the back end, put the tranny in gear, and spin the back tires? See if there is any "slop" (wheels move a certain amount is normal, but if you can actually get a good portion over a rotation out of them, there's a problem, etc.).
Old 10-14-2013, 02:01 PM
TECH Regular

hey man welcome to the site it sounds like a loose bushing or ujoint. Do me a favour and jack up the car and try to move the torque arm (attached to the transmission on the driver side clamped) and see if that has a lot of play to it. What could be happening is the torque arm has broken free of the bushing and is causing that 'clunking' noise you are hearing. You won't know much until you jack up the car. Take some pictures and we'll try to help you out from there man. Good luck.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

sounds like a broken tranny mount. Though, admittedly, the tranny mount problem was common on thirdgens and 4th is supposed to have a setup that makes that much less of an issue. But still could happen. The drive shaft has too much play after a tranny mount breaks and actually hits the floor board of the car on acceleration changes (usually from gear shifts where torque varies greatly).

Quick Reply: 2002 camaro ss clunking/grinding help