2001 SOM Supercharged LSA Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 01:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 SOM Supercharged LSA Build thread

hello my friends this is my first build thread so have mercy on this one

the chosen car was a 2001 Z28 w 120K

After a few months I notice the paint was opaque, so I took my car for the very first time to a paint shop and they just make it shine again plus they fix the scratch on the rims so the car was looking just like new

The next logical step was improve the inside of the car, I wanted the camaro to keep looking original but at the same time the old radio and No navigation was killing me (Im not from USA so I need a GPS badly) plus some times I had class at 1 AM and the leather was so F*** cold!

so I got a Pionner and rear camara kit, all new interior leather doors and racing seats, black leather microfiber and a bit of orange, a seat heater set, a new carpets and new dash gauge cover (I decided to keep my electronic seat base with the new racing seats, no regrets here)

After that I took the car for a Dyno where I become friend of the owner, the car did a good 368 RWHP at 3700, according to rolo (the tunner) the engine was already modified by its previews owner using ported heads, short headers, and other stuff.

Several time later he called me and told me about a fiver glass body kit he found in a junk jard in georgia, I was looking for something like this long time ago, not sure who did this body kit but I never saw anything like this before, the junk jard guy told rolo it was from a racing car, I honestly doubt that but paid 699.99$ for the body kit (a ultra Z hood from SLP, 2 wide fenders and 2 wide quarter panels, 1 inches wider front and almost 2 inches in the back, per side )

Its still a work in progress but Im so exited!

A few months later I spoke with rolo about what should we do about performance, so he told me he wanted to go crazy but cheap so he told me we should do an Iron 409 with an LSA supercharger and cammed, he called some friends from a very good piston company and got everything, plus we found a 6.0 iron block in really good shape so he took the Iron block to the machine shop and it will be a couple of days until they assembly the block

I got a LSA supercharger for a weekend for measurement purpose and we realize to fit a LSA blower on a FBody its IMPOSIBLE unless you mover the engine, and do plenty of work, we had to put spacers to sit the engine lower and we cut and reshape the dash, the air box of the LSA will be reshaped to allow us more space the engine is supposed to get air trough the dual Volant Cold Air Intake (for pontiac) and a Modified Ultra Z hood to allow more air go directly to the Volant system.

I have an issue here because the supercharger is so tall I doubt I can use a standard strut bar, so I designed a 4 point strut bar

next step will get a used LSA blower and a LS9 heads, I also got the IRS from a burned 1LE camaro (5 GEN) because I wanted the brakes but the guys at CFTShop offer to install it, but I want this to be the last step, I sell the 1LE brakes and got some ZL1 brakes

the trans is a 4L80E I got for free from a friend of rolo (but its missing some parts), I got a 6 Speed Valve Body and some planetary internals but there are plenty of parts that I still need to assembly the trans, some people will ask why 6 speed auto? well its because Im not good at shifting, and I don't want to broke all my effort and money miss shifting from 3th to 2th at red line and make the pistons blow over the hood

every day Im closer and closer to have a very one of a kind 4 gen, that Ill love to use as a DD

this is the concept I made of how the car will look

the Rims are Replicas from the Corvette Centennial Edition or camaro 1LE and they are 18x9 19x12

Last Update: 17/04/15

paint is almost done and the wide body in SOM looks killer, thank goodness its still looks OEM but stronger, I was afraid it could look ricer... and Ill get to install wider tires and not get a ugly look, the rear tire on the picture is a R19 x 10 looks like a lot of space there to install a the rims I want

next to do go: Ultra Z hood paint and front fenders

Update: 04/20/2015

Ultra Z hood ready!

Update: 04/21/2015
bumber and quarter ready!

Final Render:

Last edited by SesiomSummers; 04-22-2015 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Update
Old 01-08-2015, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

Looks like it's going to be a sweet car
Old 01-20-2015, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

Serious build..SSOM is a killer color for those!
Old 01-20-2015, 02:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Think you'd be better off getting an ls9 blower. Its not only bigger cfm wise but its physically shorter. Gmperformance actually put one in an fbody. They clearanced the cowl, milled the motor pedestals down and spaced the k member a hair and it fit.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:35 PM
TECH Regular

subscribing for this one!
Old 04-18-2015, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

paint is almost done and the wide body in SOM looks killer, thank goodness its still looks OEM but stronger, I was afraid it could look ricer... and Ill get to install wider tires and not get a ugly look, the rear tire on the picture is a R19 x 10 looks like a lot of space there to install a the rims I want

Old 04-18-2015, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SesiomSummers

Where did you get the Ultra Z hood from? Thinking about going with one myself.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98z8uup
Where did you get the Ultra Z hood from? Thinking about going with one myself.
this one of the last ones made by SLP and they are rare to get now but you can find new ones around Internet, not sure what are the difference from the SLP and the new ones but i bet is minimal or none

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/98...w-aftermarket/
Old 04-20-2015, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Update: 04/20/2015

Ultra Z hood ready!
Old 06-04-2015, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Keeping an eye on this. I just sold my iroc and opted for a nice 2001 Camaro SS/SLP in dark metallic blue. I have an LSA blower and an lq4. Been tryin to find someone that's done the swap before. I may opt to sell the blower and get a zr1 blower instead for ease of install.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:37 PM
GDL
On The Tree

Why oh why IRS?
Old 08-04-2015, 05:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GDL
Why oh why IRS?
It's kinda funny how whether a car has IRS or a solid axle, people are going to want to swap to the other.

Cobra guys are ditching IRS to go drag racing, and road race guys are trying to put IRS in everything with a solid axle.

I'm putting IRS in a couple of my projects, but I'm not building them to drag race.

To the OP,

This is a sweet project. That rendering looks awesome, I can't wait to see some progress on this. I've only recently realized how cheap a used LSA blower is, so I'm considering putting one on a project or two.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:39 AM
On The Tree

Update: 08/07/2015

Paint and body work is ready!!!

to be fair a 2D photo dont make justice on the wide body kit but Im so happy I keep the stock look, looks really good and Im really happy, I haven't done anything to the project due to lack of time and money but its time to finish what I started...

next, get the Engine then the IRS and then the trans ready.

for the trans Ill go with a 4L80E I want to go a bit crazy and go with a 6 speed 4L80E,

I am also thinking about what rims should I use, I like the ones from the ZL1 but the Z/28 rims are just so beautiful... Im just worried because 20s rims in a F Body are just in the edge between AMAZING and ATROCIOUS, depending on plenty of factors... I could choose other rims but I want to have the OEM chevy parts Im trying to keep, any suggestion is more than welcome!

Old 08-07-2015, 01:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by t_raven
It's kinda funny how whether a car has IRS or a solid axle, people are going to want to swap to the other.

Cobra guys are ditching IRS to go drag racing, and road race guys are trying to put IRS in everything with a solid axle.

I'm putting IRS in a couple of my projects, but I'm not building them to drag race.

To the OP,

This is a sweet project. That rendering looks awesome, I can't wait to see some progress on this. I've only recently realized how cheap a used LSA blower is, so I'm considering putting one on a project or two.
thanks! yes LSA blowers are really cost effective, the guys at CFT shop are actually experimenting on a lid designed to fit the space issue on a stock mounted LSx in a 4 gen, I will post the results as soon they have something

I decided to go with IRS because Im really interested in drag for my is more important something that improve the ride quality because the car will focused more in driving arround and occasionally go to autocross.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SesiomSummers
thanks! yes LSA blowers are really cost effective, the guys at CFT shop are actually experimenting on a lid designed to fit the space issue on a stock mounted LSx in a 4 gen, I will post the results as soon they have something

I decided to go with IRS because Im really interested in drag for my is more important something that improve the ride quality because the car will focused more in driving arround and occasionally go to autocross.
How do you plan on getting the IRS to work? Its certainly not a bolt in job, going to be alot of custom work to get it to even fit, none the less work properly.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
How do you plan on getting the IRS to work? Its certainly not a bolt in job, going to be alot of custom work to get it to even fit, none the less work properly.
My understanding on how this is going to be done is pretty much null, I know this is really a complicated stuff and there are like a gazillion of different stuff to take care, but what I know is Albert (the welding machine guru who decided to do this) wanted to use the 5 gen solid rear cradle to connect to the F body chassis, we went to PRI at Indianapolis just to take some notes and references about that, according to Albert the 5 gen cradle will be a fine base for a custom set up, It is heavy but Im using BMR parts to save some wight and improve performance, I wish I could give you more information but suspension stuff is not my comfort zone at all, still I will upload pictures of the progress and Im sure I can ask him for a detailed build log of what he is going to do, then I can post it here..
Old 05-17-2016, 02:15 PM
Teching In

is the lsa in this car and did u have to cut a bunch of stuff. any pics im about to do an LSA in my 02ss. did the body last year. my ls1 runs good, 420 rwhp but its a smoke machine now. did u run the lsa throttle body or change to a 4 bolt cable tb. thanks
Old 05-17-2016, 10:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Bump for updates!!
Old 03-17-2017, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Hello Guys sorry for the HUUUGE delay but I left the USA due to Someone I Love got Cancer, so I run out of money, time, and left the car untouched back on Orlando sadly as I no longer has the money I had the IRS its out for now.

Brakes.
but Ill keep the ZL1 Front and rear brakes, for the Rear Brakes Im using a valve to reduce the Strength of the brake fluid as I got some MPs about the F bodies locking the rear wheels if using big brakes on the rear.

Rear end.
As the IRS was a no no, I went with a Strange Rear end not what I wanted but at this time was the bes I could, I also got the Brake lines and harness to Install the Zl1 Brakes on the IRS I found on Big brake kit .com

Engine:
The engine is 100% finish thanks to Alberto From KAIZEN Performance and ready to be turned on but I didn't got the opportunity to cut the bowl to fit the LSA blower we got an LSS Supercharger belt system and a 101 mm throttle body I the concept I made I manage to get one of those Ram Air intakes that fits with my Ultra Z hood.

Also I bought a Meth System with a custom tank placed where the spare tire is located to It is a huge tank, the Battery was relocated to the back too

Rims and tires

Rims are the same one but will be painted black, the tires are AZENIS FK510 (225/45ZR17) front and (295/30ZR19) back

Trans.
The 4L80 is on the car and everything fit with out hammering anything, I got the harness from Speartech a long time ago.

To do.

TCM for the 4l80
Install Reshaped 5 gen Sterring wheel
4 point seat-belt install
buy Suspension (ALL OF IT)

The car is now being finished In Orlando Fl but Ill keep posting pictures!

Old 03-17-2017, 03:48 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow, a lot of work in this project. I can help you out for suspension, we are local to you and can offer a pretty good discount to you to pick the items up from us. We have a k-member option that may help with your clearance on the cowl as it allows for some adjustment of the engine up and down. There was a customer locally who did a similar swap using one of these k-members, but still had to space it down some.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!

Quick Reply: 2001 SOM Supercharged LSA Build thread