Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

BlackandGold's project RECALLD Bought not Built

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 02:54 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It seems I'm not the only one that had to deal with non-existent/overpriced M6 cars in SoCal, in addition to residential policies about working on cars. Sometimes I have to wonder why we bother living in San Diego.

In any case, I'm glad to see your car making such progress. Keep it going...
Old 05-21-2015, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your willing to travel, and patient, I've come up on a few deals. Including the car in my Sig.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by myk
It seems I'm not the only one that had to deal with non-existent/overpriced M6 cars in SoCal, in addition to residential policies about working on cars. Sometimes I have to wonder why we bother living in San Diego.

In any case, I'm glad to see your car making such progress. Keep it going...
Thanks! Hoping to have some other updates in the next few weeks. The residential policies are bad, but I just moved into PB and my lease makes no mention of automotive maintenance...Time to pull my motor in my car port?

Originally Posted by oChristiano
If your willing to travel, and patient, I've come up on a few deals. Including the car in my Sig.
I was willing to travel (almost went to Texas, but then that would add ~1k for shipping and traveling), also I wasn't patient at all hence overpaying for a car with a grinding trans and whining rear.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:30 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by blackandgold
Thanks! Hoping to have some other updates in the next few weeks. The residential policies are bad, but I just moved into PB and my lease makes no mention of automotive maintenance...Time to pull my motor in my car port?
Dude, you moved to 'PB? How in God's name are you going to have time to work on your car when there's all that beach-*** struttin around. PB is America's Brazil!
Old 05-21-2015, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by myk
Dude, you moved to 'PB? How in God's name are you going to have time to work on your car when there's all that beach-*** struttin around. PB is America's Brazil!
Hahaha, it's another reason I pay people to work on the Camaro now a days. I'm in an 8 unit complex, 6 of the 8 units are occupied by booty, it's insane.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blackandgold

I was willing to travel (almost went to Texas, but then that would add ~1k for shipping and traveling), also I wasn't patient at all hence overpaying for a car with a grinding trans and whining rear.
I mean in Cali. I picked up this SS in Buelton. About an hour past Santa Barbara. My old red SS I picked up in AZ for $6700 w/ 106k original owner.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by oChristiano
I mean in Cali. I picked up this SS in Buelton. About an hour past Santa Barbara. My old red SS I picked up in AZ for $6700 w/ 106k original owner.
That's fair, I guess I didn't really overpay by that much because I did look around the southwest. All in all #noragrets

Update on today, break-in for the rear and the clutch wrapped up so I goaded a friend into using his garage to do all of my fluids. You can also see the new headlights in this one:

Old 05-23-2015, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this car is getting a sawweeet over haul
Old 06-19-2015, 01:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Living by the beach means parking sucks...but I snapped a picture of project RECALLD's weekend carport. She spends weekdays tucked away in a parking garage inland.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Little LS1Tech love showed up today:

Old 07-30-2015, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

So this is sort of on hold, I just accepted a job in the midwest and the Camaro will come with. The only updates will be me loading it onto a truck to ship...
Old 08-18-2015, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Off to Iowa:

Old 08-18-2015, 09:16 PM
Launching!

Congratulations on the new job..... Best of luck & I hope they take care of your baby!!
Old 08-19-2015, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CGSmith0524
Congratulations on the new job..... Best of luck & I hope they take care of your baby!!
Thanks! There was a period of about 2 days when it looked like no one was going to pick it up. Almost had to figure out a way to drive 2 cars up there haha.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

a guy i worked with moved from PA-FL, he drove one down then flew back.
probbly cost about $400, 250ish to fly and 5 tanks of fuel
Old 08-24-2015, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FirstGen F-Body
a guy i worked with moved from PA-FL, he drove one down then flew back.
probbly cost about $400, 250ish to fly and 5 tanks of fuel
Yeah, that was an option, but I'm fat and lazy. It ended up being like 1600 and I tipped the guy since he did a great job. Don't regret it at all. Now that I don't have emissions regs I need to go header shopping.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Iowa plates....Still waiting on my fresh Iowa RECALLD plate.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Finally got her cleaned up, then tucked away for the winter after one last fall romp. I did get my letter from Iowa though and I did get my RECALLD plates so I can pick them up this week! Not that I'll be driving the car

Old 11-08-2015, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got the plates just in time to sit in storage!

Old 11-21-2015, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Welcome!
Make sure you search around before you start buying parts, there are a lot of parts that will really hurt your handling (and they won't say so).
Also auto-xing with 500rwhp is going to be a handful, you better be running 315's r-compound tires on all four corners and really go light on the throttle.
Look into Koni shocks or higher end (KW, race bilstien, Penski) and stay away from drag shocks like QA1, afco, strange and Viking - some vendors will try and get a quick sell with drag shocks like these by telling you they are good for handling which is false, they are non-gas charged shocks valved for weight transfer and the amount of "adjustment" they have is irrelevant when they are not valved right in the first place. (just because they can be made "stiff" doesn't mean they will actually handle well and be able to dampen properly.)
Balanced swaybars (35mm front, 22mm rear), and springs that are not too low (you NEED suspension travel for handling) and not too stiff (stiffer is not automatically better, you need balance).
Blank brake rotors (drilled rotors will crack) and a nice set of pads will do wonders as well for braking.
Everything else wont make near a difference for handling, get the major stuff done like above and don't worry about the little stuff until later (if at all) as it will have little effect on handling.
Im just trying to save you grief and money as Ive seen this many times where someone throws a bunch of parts at their fbody that all miss match(even when a vendor recommends the said parts) and are discouraged when their handling is sloppy, and Fbodies with Konis on otherwise stock suspension are running by them.
Doesn't umi have a Camaro they auto x with Viking shocks?

Quick Reply: BlackandGold's project RECALLD Bought not Built